18-Gonzaga/48-Georgia
104-Wake Forest
268-Western Carolina
315-North Dakota
295-Southern
210-Seattle
291-Furman
265-UNC-Willmington

Even Pomeroy says that his preseason ratings aren't the most accurate so take them for what they're worth.

http://kenpom.com/

Imagine if the conference got double digit bids. Wowzers.

Big Ten
Wisconsin #6
Michigan St #12
Ohio St #14
Michigan #15
Indiana #26
Iowa #32
Maryland #33
Nebraska #34
Minnesota #37
Illinois #38
Purdue #40
Penn St #56
NW #77
Rutgers #103

That makes us 9th. I don't see us there at all...much higher...how is Indiana 26? No easy games at all in the Big Ten. I hear the Rutgers coach post game comments already: "We are a very tired team"

Big Ten
Wisconsin #6
Michigan St #12
Ohio St #14
Michigan #15
Indiana #26
Iowa #32
Maryland #33
Nebraska #34
Minnesota #37
Illinois #38
Purdue #40
Penn St #56
NW #77
Rutgers #103

That makes us 9th. I don't see us there at all...much higher...how is Indiana 26? No easy games at all in the Big Ten. I hear the Rutgers coach post game comments already: "We are a very tired team"

I hope you mean the Rutgers coach and not Pitino's comments after the Rutgers game. :cry:Either way, nice burn on Kill.

Gophers are at 37 and there are 11 B1G teams in the top 40

Here are the ratings of our Non-Conference opponents:

3-Louisville
126-Western Kentucky
325-UMBC
39-St. Johns
18-Gonzaga/48-Georgia
104-Wake Forest
268-Western Carolina
315-North Dakota
295-Southern
210-Seattle
291-Furman
265-UNC-Willmington

Even Pomeroy says that his preseason ratings aren't the most accurate so take them for what they're worth.

http://kenpom.com/

I will and they're not worth much. A lot of these low ranking teams are a crapshoot. A reviewer doesn't know what they may have gotten from JUCOS or other D1 transfers. They may be better or worse than expected.

I agree with another poster: Indiana as No. 26? I'll believe it when I see it.

Once again, Illinois, one of the toughest matchups in the league at the end of last year doesn't get enough respect just like Minnesota.

Big Ten
Wisconsin #6
Michigan St #12
Ohio St #14
Michigan #15
Indiana #26
Iowa #32
Maryland #33
Nebraska #34
Minnesota #37
Illinois #38
Purdue #40
Penn St #56
NW #77
Rutgers #103

Well, yes, but you notice that 9th place is only 9 ranking numbers below the 5th placed team. Out of about 350 teams, that is very little difference at all. Outside of general areas among the 350 where these teams are estimated to fall, these preseason rankings would seem to have little value.

I am mildly surprised that Pomeroy's preseason prediction has Indiana ranked much higher than they were last year. I know they had a good recruiting class but they also had significant departures. The same thing is true with Maryland. They have some good recruits but they weren't that great last year, ended the season in some turmoil, and had a significant number of departures and transfers.

Hey, Georgia Tech lost Bosh and went to the Final Four the next year (they had been an NIT team with Bosh). UConn was only a #9 seed with Drummond in the post, in a year after they won the title. A talented big man can be out of place in a sense in college basketball where speed kills. I tend to think IU will be improved significantly, #26 might be a bit strong but I think they will manage to make the tourney. Just a little too young last year.

Hey, Georgia Tech lost Bosh and went to the Final Four the next year (they had been an NIT team with Bosh). UConn was only a #9 seed with Drummond in the post, in a year after they won the title. A talented big man can be out of place in a sense in college basketball where speed kills. I tend to think IU will be improved significantly, #26 might be a bit strong but I think they will manage to make the tourney. Just a little too young last year.

I don't disagree with you, but I didn't think Vonleh was the problem last year when I watched Indiana. I thought Yogi was a bigger problem because he dominated the ball too much for his team to be successful. As far as Vonleh, I understand why he went pro and it was a good decision, but I don't think he is near to ready to make a big contribution at the NBA level.

Top Bottom