Kill Pigs, Eat Pigs, Beat the Pigs!

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time on this board rolling my eyes at all the haters who crawl out of the woodwork when the Gophers are down. A week ago it was at half time of Purdue and this week is after the loss.

What confounds me is how some folks think that this team isn't who this team is. It is like they must create a team in their mind so they can then hate on it when it doesn't measure up. Like falling in love with a stripper that then cheats on you? You create this unreasonable thing and then are devastaed when it lets you down.

Coack Kill has from day 1 said we are going to win games by not making mistakes, by winning special teams and field position and by not turning the ball over. We aren't talented enough to win games any other way.

This year we have lost two games because we didn't do the things we needed to do, in the other 6 we did. After watching TCU put up 72 on TT, I don't feel nearly as bad after our 5 turnover performance had us lose by 27. Yes, losing to the Illini was devastating and unacceptable, but not unexpected given the mistakes we made. We are not more talented than any B1G team (look at the recruiting numbers, look at draft picks, look at all-conference teams).

We can't beat any team in this league unless we do what Coack Kill said we need to do - win turnover battle, win field position, win special teams and run the football. We did none last Saturday and lost.

We have 4 games left and only tOSU seems unbeatable (unless they play as bad as we did last Saturday). We match up well with IA and WI this year and if we play our brand of football, we will have a shot in both games. NE seems better than those two so we will need them to help us.

We can finish the seaon 2-2 and 5-3 in the B1G and 8-4 overall with a winnable bowl game. Since someone on this board did ask us before the season started what would we consider a successful year, how many of you said better than 8-4 with a winnable bowl game? I know I didn't and I know the vast majority of you didn't.

So let the haters hate and let the trolls troll and let Coach Kill and Company do what they do and see how this season ends. Maybe we lose out, maybe we win out and maybe it is somewhere in between. No matter, this is who we are and it will be however it will be. I am here for the long haul and looking forward to IA in two weeks. So excited that I have taken an oath to eat pork every day until the game. Last night was pork roast, today I've already eaten bacon.

Kill pigs, eat pigs, beat the pigs!

YES: "Kill pigs, eat pigs, beat the pigs!"

GET 'ER DONE JERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My prediction at the beginning of the year was either 6-6 or 7-5 in the regular season and hopes for a bowl win. I also old everyone that I think we will lose a game everyone expected us to win (turns out it was Illinois), but that we would pull off another shocker like we did last year versus Nebraska (in retrospect the Michigan win might not be viewed as shocking - so there still could be one surprise victory).

So, I am still very optimistic that the team is making incremantal improvements. I am hoping that we can recruit a little better than we have in the past and I'm looking forward to years when our crossovers and nonconference games are a little more manageable.

Winning a "trinket" (as Glen Mason once called them) or shocking OSU or Nebraska would erase the sting of the Illini loss for me.

My prediction at the beginning of the year was either 6-6 or 7-5 in the regular season and hopes for a bowl win. I also old everyone that I think we will lose a game everyone expected us to win (turns out it was Illinois), but that we would pull off another shocker like we did last year versus Nebraska (in retrospect the Michigan win might not be viewed as shocking - so there still could be one surprise victory).

So, I am still very optimistic that the team is making incremantal improvements. I am hoping that we can recruit a little better than we have in the past and I'm looking forward to years when our crossovers and nonconference games are a little more manageable.

Winning a "trinket" (as Glen Mason once called them) or shocking OSU or Nebraska would erase the sting of the Illini loss for me.

I think our crossovers and nonconference games weren't that bad this year. TCU was obviously very good, but we still had three gimmes our of conference. And OSU is a tough draw, but Michigan is pretty terrible this year. With Michigan's history, I think it is pretty fortuitous that we drew them the first year under the new divisional scheme. We play them once at the Big House every 6-8 years, and we are the ones that got do to it in what will likely be their worst year during that stretch.

Yes, losing to the Illini was devastating and unacceptable, but not unexpected given the mistakes we made.

So if the loss was as you say, "devastating and unacceptable," wouldn't you expect some angst on GH? :confused:

On a bandwagon level this was right up there with the 2003 Friday night loss to Michigan. Chip . Scroggins coined it:" Same old Gophers " Other media members did the same. A lot of people in the state were starting too believe that this team was something different, and maybe special. This loss should bother any hard core Gopher fan. Fortunately you have two weeks to get the bad taste out of your mouth. An Iowa win will not bring back the fans that were starting to believe. The Gophers are going to need to split the last 4 games to make this season acceptable too a good number of season ticket holders. This was really a "BAD " loss and for anybody to poo-poo it is wearing rose colored glasses

This was really a "BAD " loss and for anybody to poo-poo it is wearing rose colored glasses

This line is really starting to bother me. I'm not sure I've seen anyone poo-poo this loss. It was a bad loss. It doesn't however mean we will lose every other game and that the season is lost. Having that rational opinion does not mean one thinks Illinois is good (they aren't) or that it wasn't a bad loss (it was).

I think my OP was right on...Jerry Kill keeps saying we can't win unless we win field position, special teams and don't turn the ball over. I agree with Jerry.

This wasn't a horrible loss, like say to NDSU or New Mexico State, it was, however a road loss to a B1G team that we should have beaten and would beat 8 out of 10 games. We just didn't do the things we needed to do and we lost when favored. It happens all the time in college football. This week, it happened to us.

Any one of the following things could have won us this game - Don't be offsides on a 17 yard loss sack on a first quarter drive that turned into a touchdown for Ill. Don't miss a 40 yard field goal. Don't fumble inside your own 15 for six the other way.

So, are we a dominant team? No, not according to our coach. Are we a capable team? Yes. Can we beat IA? Yes. Will we? IDK. Depends on if we win field position, turn over battle and special teams.

Pulled pork for dinner tonight. Kill Pigs, Eat Pigs, Beat the Pigs!

Like falling in love with a stripper that then cheats on you? You create this unreasonable thing and then are devastaed then it lets you down.
Being a Gopher fan is just like dating a stripper. We know that we shouldn't do it, but we can't help ourselves...And here we are.

This line is really starting to bother me. I'm not sure I've seen anyone poo-poo this loss. It was a bad loss. It doesn't however mean we will lose every other game and that the season is lost. Having that rational opinion does not mean one thinks Illinois is good (they aren't) or that it wasn't a bad loss (it was).

Since when is losing to a team that we were only 3.5 points favored to beat considered a bad loss? Sure, we all would have liked to win the game, and it certainly appeared to be a game we could have one had it not been for the mistakes and subpar play, but a bad loss?? Now, Michigan losing to App. State back when they were 33 point favorites...that's a bad loss.

That said, "Who Hates Iowa"...get in done Jerry!

“(Lisa) “I’m going to become a vegetarian” (Homer) “Does that mean you’re not going to eat any pork?” “Yes” “Bacon?” “Yes Dad” Ham?” “Dad all those meats come from the same animal” “Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!””

Bring home Floyd!

Go Gophers!

Since when is losing to a team that we were only 3.5 points favored to beat considered a bad loss? Sure, we all would have liked to win the game, and it certainly appeared to be a game we could have one had it not been for the mistakes and subpar play, but a bad loss?? Now, Michigan losing to App. State back when they were 33 point favorites...that's a bad loss.

That said, "Who Hates Iowa"...get in done Jerry!

Oh God. Now it's not even a bad loss. This is getting out of hand.

If this is not a bad loss then there is no hope for this program.

It truly depends upon your definition of a "bad loss". Again, in my example, losing to a team that your favored to beat by 33 points (i.e. Michigan vs. App State) is certainly a bad loss which no one expected. The Gophers losing to Illinois when they were only favored by 3.5 points (i.e. by definition many thought this would be a close game) -- I'm not sure qualifies as a "bad loss" in my view.

Did we blow a great opportunity to propel the program forward...absolutely. Can we regain our momentum and still finish strong in the BiG10...time will tell. There is a tremendous amount of parity in college football these days -- thus, any given Saturday.

I personally just don't think the sky is falling because of a single loss, any loss. Again, time will tell how we rebound and finish the season. Go Gophers!

We lost to a team we shouldn't have (we were favored by 3.5 points at game time). It was a very bad loss, but it's not the worst-loss-in-decades that some are making it out to be. Move on. Beat Iowa.

Here is literally a tweet from a Twin Cities radio host calling it the worst loss since 1982:

Joine @SouhanStrib, @HunterMPLS and me from 10-12 on @1500ESPN. Reality bits for Gophers (worst loss since 1982), and Teddy struggles.— Scott Korzenowski (@Skorzo60) October 26, 2014

I thought the scope of this was GopherHole. We all already knew that TC media was overplaying the whole thing. Minneapolis media hang their hats on shock value. Any reasonable person can only go as far back as New Mexico State in 2011.

So you were right. My bad.

I thought the scope of this was GopherHole. We all already knew that TC media was overplaying the whole thing. Minneapolis media hang their hats on shock value.

So you were right. My bad.

All good. Should've been clearer. Sorry for the ad-hominem. This loss sucks for us all.

I'm glad a few of you turned the 'beat Iowa' thread into a debate on how bad the Illinois loss was. After all, there are only 73 of those on GH. We needed another. Thanks!

I'm glad a few of you turned the 'beat Iowa' thread into a debate on how bad the Illinois loss was. After all, there are only 73 of those on GH. We needed another. Thanks!

You do realize you joined in the debate on this very thread, right?

Top Bottom