Kill Pigs, Eat Pigs, Beat the Pigs!

Do you understand what a 3-3.5 point spread even means? That is the customary "home field" advantage that is given to every home team -- all else being equal. Said another way, if the game would have been played at a neutral site, it would have been a "pick em" by betting standards.

You can call the game whatever you want (bad loss, terrible loss, etc.), as I'm done discussing it, but the fact of the matter is that the betting line (Money) said this would be a very close game...which it ultimately was.

Except the Gophers were favored on the road, so a neutral sight would have had them favored by 6-7pts if we take away the 3-3.5 that Illinois got for being the home team.

Do you understand what a 3-3.5 point spread even means? That is the customary "home field" advantage that is given to every home team -- all else being equal. Said another way, if the game would have been played at a neutral site, it would have been a "pick em" by betting standards.

You can call the game whatever you want (bad loss, terrible loss, etc.), as I'm done discussing it, but the fact of the matter is that the betting line (Money) said this would be a very close game...which it ultimately was.

I think you did that backwards.

Had bacon for breakfast and then ham for dinner.

Kill Pigs, Eat Pigs, Beat the Pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join me in my pork every day till gameday pledge.

I think you did that backwards.

Yes, I indeed did get it backwards. My point remains the same though...that most outside our small little Gopher world expected the Illinois game to be a close game -- which it was -- so I'm not sure how then it can be classified as a "bad loss". Blown opportunity, most definitely, but bad loss??

You do realize you joined in the debate on this very thread, right?

Ha! Post 10 is hardly debating whether or not IL was a bad loss. But I will admit it isn't Iowa related.

Go Gophers. Beat Iowa.

Problem is, here on GH we very clearly said that line was for suckers. Take a look at the predictions thread. We thought this program was ahead of this and that the rest of the country hadn't caught on. Now we are saying, see this game was a pick 'em and thus not a bad loss. We are talking from two sides of our mouths.

Problem is, here on GH we very clearly said that line was for suckers. Take a look at the predictions thread. We thought this program was ahead of this and that the rest of the country hadn't caught on. Now we are saying, see this game was a pick 'em and thus not a bad loss. We are talking from two sides of our mouths.

I was just thinking about posting almost this exact thing. The general mood on Gopher hole was that anyone who said we might lose to Illinois was a downer or a troll or whatever, and that the 3.5 spread was just the national media undervaluing us because we win close, grind 'em out games rather than Oregon style blowouts. Then we turn around and act as though it shouldn't be a surprise that we lost.

Top Bottom