Pitino's Post Scrimmage Presser: Happy with Nate Mason, Turnovers are the biggest...

GopherLady

Reaction score
issue, needs to have this team gel together like last year's team.

Here you go:

• They did good, it was very necessary, our newcomers need to play on front of people obviously. I think you saw a lot of good things from Nate, which is really good. You saw some flashes of good stuff from Carlos Morris. Overall I thought it was good. The new guys need to understand how to play, they've got the talent, now we've got to coach them.
• On Hollins and DeMathieu: Andre was 1 for 9 so he shot a certain amount, and Deandre would have shot more if it wasn't for those 7 turnovers. Those two guys were not very good, but I'm not as worried about those two guys as much. Andre has been practicing really well, so has DeAndre, for whatever reason they just didn't play really well today.
• On McNeil - even on that out of bounds play, he huddled the guys us and called the play for himself. He would have never done that last year. That's stuff that we really need to see. He's put in the work, and looks really good. He's not a very confident kid, hopefully today will give that to him, that success will give him confidence. He's kind of a shy kid, but I think as he starts to play better, he'll come out of it. He's been very competitive. There's been really healthy competition between him and Carlos Morris.
• On Morris - he's put on about 15 lbs already, you gotta keep trying, but it's tough to keep the weight on when he's playing so much. We want to add a little more weight onto him.
• Mo hurt his hamstring. Left…right…I don't know.
• Elliott did a lot of good little things, he had 4 blocks, he has long arms, he rebounded the ball well. Bakary, that was good for him. Mo going down was good for him because he needs to play. You see the talent, a little raw, he just needs to learn how to play, and not shoot it every time he touches it.
• We played Konate at the 4, it's moving around alright, it doesn't look bad, it doesn't look great yet. We need a few more weeks to refine that.
• Nate - there's no difference in our 1-2-3 positions. The only one that won't play the 2 is DeAndre.
• Mo is really efficient. He and Elliott are totally different players, both do bring value. Mo demands the ball in the post where Elliott doesn't as much. Elliott gets his baskets from pick and rolls, things like that. They're different players. I don't think (starting) matters for those two.
• The turnovers, DeAndre especially, that's been an issue.* We want them playing fast, we want them playing aggressively, and fast, we want to stay away from running as many sets as we did last year, so maybe there's a little growing pains from that.
• Aside from TO's, what else do you need to work on? Turnovers is definitely the main thing. We need the team to gel together, we had such great chemistry last year, with the Austins, Mavs, Otos and Maliks, it's just new faces, we need to get those guys to gel together. Playing games like this is good for us.

Nate played very well on both scrimmages, I think Joey has been playing better than what he played today, what I liked about Joey is that he had 8 rebounds, I think it's been pretty consistent. They're sick of playing against each other, they need to start playing against other people soon.

Thanks for the recap and the tweets today. I wish I could have been there. It's very encouraging to see how quickly Nate Mason appears to be adapting.

Go Gophers!!

New player? lol

Lol! Yes, it's going to sweep the nation like #ShellTime ;). Very cool to combine his 2 names.

Thanks for the recap and the tweets today. I wish I could have been there. It's very encouraging to see how quickly Nate Mason appears to be adapting.

Go Gophers!!

You're welcome, hopefully this translates to the real season, but I know I liked what I saw.

Top Bottom