Sunday scrimmage recap thread

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
It will be fun to hear thoughts on today's scrimmage. Thanks in advance for anyone who attends and shares their analysis. I wish I could go.

Teams

Maroon:

Deandre
Lofton
Mcneil
King
Walker
------
Buggs
Shell

Gold:

Mason
Hollins
Morris
Martin
Eliason
------
Konate
Haugh

4pm.

Hope we get some great insights like this person gave us on Charles Buggs two years ago:

Tool

Agree that both frosh looked good tonight. Buggs is really long and can move - should alter a lot of shots and block his fair share as well.

Hopefully Wally's shot is consistent from outside.. if so, lookout. Ridiculous athlete and hard worker...

Both will contribute.. question is when. Regardless of how they do as freshmen, I think they're both quality additions to the program.

4pm.

Hope we get some great insights like this person gave us on Charles Buggs two years ago:

What is up with people hanging onto comments like this for years? Let it go. Even Pitino raved and raved about Buggs. Perhaps you should tweet Pitino comments that he was wrong about?

What is up with people hanging onto comments like this for years? Let it go. Even Pitino raved and raved about Buggs. Perhaps you should tweet Pitino comments that he was wrong about?

Why comment on this post and not the multitudes of others?

BTW, I did tweet Pitino re: a comment he was wrong about just this morning.

I like the switch up in teams,seems a lot more balanced.
I hope to hear about a lot of friendly competition,since I can't be there.

Is our friend GW still a 'staff member' of this site? If so, I'd like to ask what is up with that? If not, I'd like to say thank you.

talked to a gopher fan from Forida at the Illinois fooball game - said he saw Morris and Nate play last year - said Nate will be a great player and that Morris was super fast but needed to be more aggressive.

Is our friend GW still a 'staff member' of this site? If so, I'd like to ask what is up with that? If not, I'd like to say thank you.

I don't think he has been for well over a year. I'd like to know if the "staff" at LNH still thinks Andre will RS this year and be a 5 th year next year.

Looks like Mason, Mcneil, and Morris are playing well. Mason leads all scorers at the half with 14pts on 5-9 shooting. Mcneil has 10pts in 10 minutes, Morris 6pts on 3-4 shooting.

Why comment on this post and not the multitudes of others?

BTW, I did tweet Pitino re: a comment he was wrong about just this morning.

Cool. You realize he doesn't care about anything you have to say, right? Also, he knows 100 times more about basketball and coaching than you ever will, but sadly I'm sure you disagree with that.

I don't think he has been for well over a year. I'd like to know if the "staff" at LNH still thinks Andre will RS this year and be a 5 th year next year.

That was a classic. I'm sure 'they' have moved on from that to obsess over who's lying about the practice facility and track Mbakwe through Europe.

Nate Mason has hit 5 3's who were those people saying he couldn't shoot?

I was there and these are my thoughts. I have more emphasis on the new guys since I am sure that is what people are curious about.

Mason-Ran the point for the gold. Looked totally in control and can absolutely stoke. No question about it he will be a big time contributor this year. For all the excitement for the guards in the 2015 class, Mason should not be overlooked. He is a competitor and will be a solid backup at pg and will see some serious time at the 2. One knock against him is he seems to have a low release point on his J.

Josh Martin- Like we all know, he is super athletic and looks to have a B10 ready body. He had a really sick put back dunk and brings a totally different dimension than King. He will be in more of a support role this year, but he will get some minutes at the 4. Took a couple of 3s in the first half and his stroke looked pretty good. Don't think he hit one though. Seems like a guy who will need some adjusting to the college game but the tools are there.

Morris- The squirrel is a slasher and is a much more confident ball handler than Austin. While he did hit a jumper or two his shot seems a little weird. It's like he brings the ball up from his knees (a little exaggeration but it is unorthodox). He looks really skinny even though he has supposedly put on a lot of weight since arriving. I think he can definitely be a sufficient replacement for Austin and can be a lot more consistent since he has the ability to get past his defender on the dribble.

McNeil-I know i said I would concentrate on new players but McNeil was fantastic! It is no exaggeration by Pitino that he is the most improved player. He shot with confidence, had some nice drives and looks like an entirely different player than last year. Knocked down some 3s and took it to the hoop with a purpose. I was really impressed with him and am really excited to watch him build on his already impressive frosh year.

Konate - Had a few dunks and some nice post moves. Had a ton of fouls though. Whenever he had it close to the hoop he dunked it. It was a nice change of pace from EE and Mo. He will be a role player this year but the future is very bright with this kid!

Lofton- Seemed like a solid guard. For me it was tough to imagine what his future role would be. He hit a few shots but didn't really stand out to me. Maybe someone else has more in depth info.

Other Notes- Dre was quiet... Had some really dumb turnovers that left me scratching my head. Lil Dre also had a quiet night. While he did have some great passes, he also had a lot of turnovers.. King looks bigger and looked confident shooting the 3. Still didn't really notice him on the boards.

I haven't looked at the box score yet, so these are just my thoughts from watching in person. Take it how you want it! Go Gophs!

Would echo what topos said because it was key for me today: Mason "looked totally in control"

Nate looked poised and comfortable. He ain't gonna shoot like that most nights, but I thought he was poised and comfortable with and without the ball. Hope that carries over against real competition, but he's always been a guy who is always thinking attack so I think it's real.

Dre Hollins - let's see where things are at several games into the season. Hoping for the best health-wise. :confused:

Oto was working on the bench. Was moving around great, hopped up on the court to talk to players during layup lines, looked to be in great shape and moving well. Glad he's still involved with the program.

Would echo what topos said because it was key for me today: Mason "looked totally in control"

Nate looked poised and comfortable. He ain't gonna shoot like that most nights, but I thought he was poised and comfortable with and without the ball. Hope that carries over against real competition, but he's always been a guy who is always thinking attack so I think it's real.

Dre Hollins - let's see where things are at several games into the season. Hoping for the best health-wise. :confused:

Oto was working on the bench. Was moving around great, hopped up on the court to talk to players during layup lines, looked to be in great shape and moving well. Glad he's still involved with the program.

Not worried about dre one bit.

I was there and these are my thoughts. I have more emphasis on the new guys since I am sure that is what people are curious about.

Mason-Ran the point for the gold. Looked totally in control and can absolutely stoke. No question about it he will be a big time contributor this year. For all the excitement for the guards in the 2015 class, Mason should not be overlooked. He is a competitor and will be a solid backup at pg and will see some serious time at the 2. One knock against him is he seems to have a low release point on his J.

Josh Martin- Like we all know, he is super athletic and looks to have a B10 ready body. He had a really sick put back dunk and brings a totally different dimension than King. He will be in more of a support role this year, but he will get some minutes at the 4. Took a couple of 3s in the first half and his stroke looked pretty good. Don't think he hit one though. Seems like a guy who will need some adjusting to the college game but the tools are there.

Morris- The squirrel is a slasher and is a much more confident ball handler than Austin. While he did hit a jumper or two his shot seems a little weird. It's like he brings the ball up from his knees (a little exaggeration but it is unorthodox). He looks really skinny even though he has supposedly put on a lot of weight since arriving. I think he can definitely be a sufficient replacement for Austin and can be a lot more consistent since he has the ability to get past his defender on the dribble.

McNeil-I know i said I would concentrate on new players but McNeil was fantastic! It is no exaggeration by Pitino that he is the most improved player. He shot with confidence, had some nice drives and looks like an entirely different player than last year. Knocked down some 3s and took it to the hoop with a purpose. I was really impressed with him and am really excited to watch him build on his already impressive frosh year.

Konate - Had a few dunks and some nice post moves. Had a ton of fouls though. Whenever he had it close to the hoop he dunked it. It was a nice change of pace from EE and Mo. He will be a role player this year but the future is very bright with this kid!

Lofton- Seemed like a solid guard. For me it was tough to imagine what his future role would be. He hit a few shots but didn't really stand out to me. Maybe someone else has more in depth info.

Other Notes- Dre was quiet... Had some really dumb turnovers that left me scratching my head. Lil Dre also had a quiet night. While he did have some great passes, he also had a lot of turnovers.. King looks bigger and looked confident shooting the 3. Still didn't really notice him on the boards.

I haven't looked at the box score yet, so these are just my thoughts from watching in person. Take it how you want it! Go Gophs!

Thanks - good recap. I am really happy to hear about McNeil. He will be an interesting case study for this staff as far as player development goes over his career.

Go Gophers!!

I saw him; miss a three, miss a dunk attempt, get stripped going up for one lay-up from behind, and air balled a three but got bailed out on a foul that had no affect on his release.. Then hit one of three FT attempts. He had the worst turnover of the game and a dumb foul that had Pitino looking at his assistance and rolling their eyes. That, and a couple other passes that were just plain bad decisions... Oh yeah, poor and lazy defense to go with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bad scrimmage showing, it was his terrible attitude + body language because things weren't going his way that makes me really worried.

Mason is a stud.

Morris should be a nice two year starter, although McNeil looked much more polished than last season, he was impressive too.

Kontae is a going to be really good, big upper body and knows how to go up quick and finish hard, something EE is not capable/unwilling to do.

I saw him; miss a three, miss a dunk attempt, get stripped going up for one lay-up from behind, and air balled a three but got bailed out on a foul that had no affect on his release.. Then hit one of three FT attempts. He had the worst turnover of the game and a dumb foul that had Pitino looking at his assistance and rolling their eyes. That, and a couple other passes that were just plain bad decisions... Oh yeah, poor and lazy defense to go with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bad scrimmage showing, it was his terrible attitude + body language because things weren't going his way that makes me really worried.

Mason is a stud.

Morris should be a nice two year starter, although McNeil looked much more polished than last season, he was impressive too.

Kontae is a going to be really good, big upper body and knows how to go up quick and finish hard, something EE is not capable/unwilling to do.
Oh I cannot wait to hear what Jiggaman has to say about this...

Top Bottom