Coach Z

With the exception of Michigan every team we've played the opposing QB has been better. If Hoke had played Gardner the whole game it would be every opposing QB has been better. Like Puckett did in the World Series, Cobb is carrying this team on his back.

Just so you know - Gardner isn't a good passer either and is an absolute turnover machine.

We have the 112th ranked passing attack in college football.

So this post means you have absolutely no rebuttal for the points made by other posters in this thread, correct?

Leidner played 3 pretty good games against UM, NW and PU and had a bad one against ILL on the road. For a soph QB who we all knew was a project when he came in, you'll have to be ok with that. He needs to get better and my guess is that he will, but that's CFB for you. Remember he's not a Cali or TX kid that has been playing against top comp and doing year round 7 on 7 tournies against D1 prospects for years in HS. He'll have some growing pains.

Assuming you meant FBS football - it's 120th, actually. Meanwhile, Georgia is 110th, 6-1, and ranked #9 in the country. Further, Washington St. is 1st and 2-6. So what is your ****ing point?

Assuming you meant FBS football - it's 120th, actually. Meanwhile, Georgia is 110th, 6-1, and ranked #9 in the country. Further, Washington St. is 1st and 2-6. So what is your ****ing point?

Our passing game sucks a$$ and has since Jerry has gotten here. With all the good things we have going on, it's now and for the foreseeable future going to put a ceiling on our success. The QBs lack passing talent and the coach seems to have not been able to improve their accuracy even after they have been on campus for three years. We now seem to have receivers running open so that excuse is gone. I actually liked the SJSU game we did what was workng that day. I'd like to see Streveler as a change of pace a little bit every game. He and Cobb are lethal in the read option. Put it in the bank that this is Leidner's last hurrah as our QB here in 2014. We're stuck with Z and Limegrover so that is going to be what is is going to be but I think they are Jerry's weak link in an otherwise fantastic program.

Our passing game sucks a$$ and has since Jerry has gotten here. With all the good things we have going on, it's now and for the foreseeable future going to put a ceiling on our success.
So you say, others have pointed out it's simply not necessary to win at a high level if other facets of your team are strong enough.

The QBs lack passing talent and the coach seems to have not been able to improve their accuracy even after they have been on campus for three years.
Gameday and practice are different animals, and our QB is working through his first full season as a starter.
We now seem to have receivers running open so that excuse is gone.
It'd be nice if they caught the balls thrown to them though, again younger players still working through things(Jones/Woli) Fruecte has been solid, he was not when he was those guys ages.

I actually liked the SJSU game we did what was workng that day. I'd like to see Streveler as a change of pace a little bit every game. He and Cobb are lethal in the read option.
Doubt it, although I agree with the Streveler change of pace package.

Put it in the bank that this is Leidner's last hurrah as our QB here in 2014.

That'd be fine, as long as the next guy beat him out in practice, camp, etc.

We're stuck with Z and Limegrover so that is going to be what is is going to be but I think they are Jerry's weak link in an otherwise fantastic program.

They've overseen some pretty potent passing games at NIU, developed from an inaccurate but gritty QB and young receivers to an offense capable of rolling conference foes. There's really no reason to stamp your feet so much.

Our passing game sucks a$$ and has since Jerry has gotten here. With all the good things we have going on, it's now and for the foreseeable future going to put a ceiling on our success. The QBs lack passing talent and the coach seems to have not been able to improve their accuracy even after they have been on campus for three years. We now seem to have receivers running open so that excuse is gone. I actually liked the SJSU game we did what was workng that day. I'd like to see Streveler as a change of pace a little bit every game. He and Cobb are lethal in the read option. Put it in the bank that this is Leidner's last hurrah as our QB here in 2014. We're stuck with Z and Limegrover so that is going to be what is is going to be but I think they are Jerry's weak link in an otherwise fantastic program.

I love that you quoted dpodoll's post to start your response, but totaaly ignored the GA and WSU stats and just kept beating your drum, the same drum.

What's your point? Did you even bother to look up our ranking on rushing the ball? Simply throwing the ball well has very little to do with overall winning percentage. As Kill well knows, it's much more important to have a strong defense, solid special teams play, and consistently win the turnover battle.

As others have correctly noted, Leidner is still a work in progress, but I have definitely seem some improvement this year. Just needs to have better mechanics on some of his throws which will lead to greater consistency. I'm sure coach Z has frequent conversations on that topic.

Why do so many of Leidner's passes have to be deep sideline throws?? He struggles w/ that throw. Why can't we have quick slants across the middle, or some screen passes? We have struggled w/ Gray missing the broadside of the barn, w/ Weber bouncing throws, and now w/ Leidner overthrowing sideline throws out of bounds or missing deep passes by 10 yards. Yes, other factors lost that game. Many other factors. But 12 for 30 is bad really bad

For what I am about to say, God forgive me.

Everything will turn out just fine.

Why do so many of Leidner's passes have to be deep sideline throws?? He struggles w/ that throw. Why can't we have quick slants across the middle, or some screen passes? We have struggled w/ Gray missing the broadside of the barn, w/ Weber bouncing throws, and now w/ Leidner overthrowing sideline throws out of bounds or missing deep passes by 10 yards. Yes, other factors lost that game. Many other factors. But 12 for 30 is bad really bad

Mostly b/c there are safeties 5-8 yards off the ball, so the window is really tight. This is also why our play action post is so deadly.

Does he suck? Our QBs have under his tutelage. The wildly inconsistent play is hard to explain just too many missed throws the last two years to he explained by lack of talent I saw both play in HS and Nelson and Leidner could make the throws they are missing now.

Before you start up the bus and actually run him over, take a look at a NIU QB by the name of Chandler Harnisch who thrived under Coach Z in his first year as QB coach in 2010.

Harnisch improved his total yards by 96 yards a game over 2009, threw 21 TD's compared to 11 averaged 8.7 yds per attempt with a INT rate of just 2.6%. Plus he ranked #11 in Passing Efficiency at 155% and #32 in total yards.

Of course, Harnisch had a very good group of players on his side compared to Mitch's gang. I tend to believe that Coach Z had a little bit to do with this success and also set the groundwork for Jordan Lynch, NIU's next highly successful QB.

Does anyone dare to compare RS Soph. Mitch to a Sr. Harnisch in their development?? Probably not.

The simple matter may be that Mitch may not have what it takes and is certainly no Harnisch. At this point, I don't blame the coaching for that.

Top Bottom