This deserves scorn

I think it would have been the first time that we thought we were good and actually were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We lost to a road game to a team that came in hungry for a win on their homecoming. The season is obviously over (sarcasm). We got a couple unlucky calls (Fumble being blown dead) and some misplays (Cobb not keeping his elbow in on the fumble and some overthrows by Mitch), but we are still the same team that we were excited about last week! There is still a lot of season left. You want to know how I know that this isn't a Brewster team? We're complaining about being 6-2. Yes, it was a bad loss and we should have won. But upsets happen and that is exactly why I feel like we should be excited for the rest of the year. If we can get upset, why can't we be the one doing the upsetting for the rest of the year. Ski-U-Mah!!!

Upsets happen when you expect to win. The reason this stings is it feels like the usual tease.

We still control our own destiny. Not many teams can say that after 8 weeks.

Control our destiny to what? The BIG championship game? I'll post whatever you want if that happens, as long as you're willing to post whatever I want if it doesn't.

I think too many pumped us up into something we weren't.

I call BS on this. There were many on here complaining we weren't in the AP 25. There was belief based on performance that we are a good team. Now that we lost to a sh!itty team, everyone is trying to white wash this by saying we weren't that good. No! We should be better than Illinois and we should have won this game. I do not like how people all of sudden try and down play this team after we lose to a crappy team. Furthermore, I think it is pathetic how people try and dismiss other posters who are unhappy about losing to a sh!tty team - like we should all expect to lose to a sh!tty team. Forget you. This was a bad loss. No two ways about it. Passionate gopher fans should be upset about this loss. We are better than Ill - or at least I thought we were.

Yes, we are beatable and so is Iowa, tOSU, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Every reason in the world to be pumped on November 8, 15, 22, and 29. Illinois is done. Next up is The Pig and it's for the taking, at our house no less. Go Gophers!

Well said Mr. Billd! I agree!

You want to know how I know that this isn't a Brewster team? We're complaining about being 6-2.

Believe me, we were complaining when the 2009 Gophers lost to Northwestern at home. That loss brought us to 7-2...and rightfully so, people were complaining.

Upsets happen when you expect to win. The reason this stings is it feels like the usual tease.

No doubt about it. People forget that we were only a 3 point favorite over a poor Illinois team. Some have put us at a level that we don't deserve to be. Even though we were ranked in the top 25, the Vegas power ratings did not have us in the top 50. We're just not as good as some thought that we were, though that doesn't take away the fact that we gave a game away that we should have won.

Quit your whining, every miserable one of you. You assigned this team your champion, act like you belong in the same room as those warriors. Mistakes occurred. Master them. Understand them. Move on and plan for the next day.

How many of you thought that the team would have this record at this point in the season? I can tell you none of you deserve to wring your hands nervously. None of you deserve to tell anybody else to eat crow or humble pie.

Recovery will happen now. It begins by supporting the team. Whine to your wife, to your kids, to the wind, or God. The duty of every Gopher fan is to buy a ticket for the Iowa game, rest your voice and prepare to bring it to the Iowa game. You want revenge, there is only one way to get revenge. Stomp on Iowa.

WHO HATES IOWA!!!

Leidner isn't a great quarterback, the offensive line is average at best, the defense has played well, but the reality is this is not a top level Big Ten team, they will win a couple they should lose and lose to a couple of teams they probably shouldn't, a 4-4 conference record would be great, anything above that is probably overachieving.

Eight games into the schedule and they have only been out of one game, pretty good season so far.

This is not momentum, or brick by brick. This is losing to a legitimately awful football team.

Heartbroken, but should've expected it. The naysayers are always right. **** me.

Eh, I kind of had the unfortunate feeling coming in that this outfit was going to somehow shat the bed against Illinois. It's just that old sense of fatalism when it comes to Gophers football which I've developed after being exposed to 40+ years of it, which has led me to expect if not exactly the worst, then at least a far less than desirable result. It's kind of a survival mechanism I guess, as I have learned not to become too emotionally invested into a team which since I have been a fan of it, almost inevitably has let me down, and this since boyhood. Anyhow, it keeps me on an even keel, as I no longer feel devastated after a Gophers loss, and the most I feel is pleasantly surprised after any Gophers win. The last time I felt emotionally devastated after a Gophers loss was against Michigan in '03, and that was enough for me.

Anyhow, RE: your title, I'd never feel 'scorn' towards a college football team unless they were cheaters or criminals or cheap-shot artists or others of that ilk whom might legitimately deserve such a feeling. The loss yesterday was not good in any sense, but the Gophers are at worst just a vague disappointment once again.

I call BS on this. There were many on here complaining we weren't in the AP 25. There was belief based on performance that we are a good team. Now that we lost to a sh!itty team, everyone is trying to white wash this by saying we weren't that good. No! We should be better than Illinois and we should have won this game. I do not like how people all of sudden try and down play this team after we lose to a crappy team. Furthermore, I think it is pathetic how people try and dismiss other posters who are unhappy about losing to a sh!tty team - like we should all expect to lose to a sh!tty team. Forget you. This was a bad loss. No two ways about it. Passionate gopher fans should be upset about this loss. We are better than Ill - or at least I thought we were.

Yes to all of this. I think it was totally reasonable to expect more out of this team based on our performance. Yeah, it did start slipping the last two games, but I still felt really good going into this game at least!

Focus all your hate on Iowa, and maybe you'll discharge positive energy on our team.

We want Floyd!

WHO HATES IOWA!

Yes to all of this. I think it was totally reasonable to expect more out of this team based on our performance. Yeah, it did start slipping the last two games, but I still felt really good going into this game at least!

Spot on. The problem is not that we lost a football game, that we made mistakes, or that we had flaws. The problem is, we know these guys are capable of more, and for whatever reason they didn't bring their best effort. That's what hurts.

Quit your whining, every miserable one of you. You assigned this team your champion, act like you belong in the same room as those warriors. Mistakes occurred. Master them. Understand them. Move on and plan for the next day.

How many of you thought that the team would have this record at this point in the season? I can tell you none of you deserve to wring your hands nervously. None of you deserve to tell anybody else to eat crow or humble pie.

Recovery will happen now. It begins by supporting the team. Whine to your wife, to your kids, to the wind, or God. The duty of every Gopher fan is to buy a ticket for the Iowa game, rest your voice and prepare to bring it to the Iowa game. You want revenge, there is only one way to get revenge. Stomp on Iowa.

WHO HATES IOWA!!!

Expectations can change throughout the season.

WHO HATES IOWA!!!

“An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Win the game but not for revenge. Revenge is a poor way to live life. Just put the pig in the gopher trophy case.

Top Bottom