Here is a cost-of-attendance GAP analysis among sampling of Power 5 schools & all B1G

supadupafly

Reaction score
Here is a cost-of-attendance GAP analysis among sampling of Power 5 schools & all B1G

Per the St. Paul Pioneer Press & NCAA: See a sampling of the dollar figures below. As a side note: It looks like Minnesota is doing pretty well for itself on this particular financial front, especially in comparison to some fellow Power 5 peers and fellow B1G peers. They have the 15th-smallest gap among the 65 schools in the Power 5 conferences -- and are well below the largest, Clemson's $6,194. Ouch!

The largest gaps between full scholarships and full cost-of-attendance numbers from the 65 Power 5 conference schools, which likely will pay student-athletes a stipend as part of their scholarships starting in 2015-16:

School Conf. Gap

Clemson ACC $6,194

Tennessee SEC $5,550

Mississippi State SEC $5,051

Virginia Tech ACC $5,420

Oklahoma Big 12 $4,959

Source: NCAA

BIG TEN GAP

The gap between full scholarships and new cost-of-attendance stipends as calculated by Big Ten schools:

School Div. Gap

Penn State East $4,788

Wisconsin West $4,041

Nebraska West $3,604

Maryland East $3,162

Indiana East $2,962

Rutgers East $2,841

Illinois West $2,500

Ohio State East $2,454

Minnesota West $2,194

Iowa West $2,166

Michigan East $2,054

Michigan State East $1,886

Northwestern West $1,926

Purdue West $1,750

Source: NCAA

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26786898/gophers-plan-spread-ncaa-largess-all-sports

I think it would be better to have the biggest gap. A check is a check to an 18 year old kid who is going to figure out a way to get a ride to school, borrow books, put food in his pockets at training table, etc.

I think it would be better to have the biggest gap. A check is a check to an 18 year old kid who is going to figure out a way to get a ride to school, borrow books, put food in his pockets at training table, etc.

Disagree. Ask his/her parents which they would prefer and be more comfortable with if they have the choice. Knowing everything tuition, room/board, books, food, etc. wise is all in place or trusting that their kid is going to do essentially be doing the right thing with the money. Also, I think you may be theorizing on this with the wrong approach. As I would be surprised if these athletes are just going to be simply getting a "check" endorsed to them like a cashiers check in the way you seem to be thinking it will be. Likely will be a more streamlined, traceable and process that doesn't allow these kids to just go and "cash" a check and let them do with the money as they see fit (i.e. not putting it toward tuition, room/board, laundry, food, books, etc.). Imo, you are thinking about it way too simplistically.

Disagree. Ask his/her parents which they would prefer and be more comfortable with if they have the choice. Knowing everything tuition, room/board, books, food, etc. wise is all in place or trusting that their kid is going to do essentially be doing the right thing with the money. Also, I think you may be theorizing on this with the wrong approach. As I would be surprised if these athletes are just going to be simply getting a "check" endorsed to them like a cashiers check in the way you seem to be thinking it will be. Likely will be a more streamlined, traceable and process that doesn't allow these kids to just go and "cash" a check and let them do with the money as they see fit (i.e. not putting it toward tuition, room/board, laundry, food, books, etc.). Imo, you are thinking about it way too simplistically.

I'd be surprised if they trace it all or make them do expense reports. It would be a huge hassle. Plus, most of the items you list: tuition, room/board, books, food, are already paid for by their team or scholarship. Laundry, trips home to see parents, transportation, are about the only real "expenses" these kids have. The whole thing is a phony charade and I agree with badgergopher that it's going to be in a school's interest to calculate this number as high as possible. Don't tell me that non-scholarship costs are $4k at Madison by $2K here. It's not a ton of money, but if Texas pays $10K (as noted on another thread) and we pay $2k, who do you think looks more attractive? They should standardize what schools can pay - $5K/kid or something.

Top Bottom