Would you rather?

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
1. Win the West but you lose to Wisconsin the last game

or

2. Lose the West but you beat Wisconsin and secure all 4 trophies

Yes this assumes we beat Iowa. Both would be great seasons. Was arguing this with some people in our section last week and interested to see other thoughts.

My vote. Win the west but lose to Wisconsin but... wow... does it suck to say that

Win the west, and not even close. I would get over Wisconsin beating us again if they had to sit at home and watch us play in the B1G championship.

It depends on who would end up winning the west if we don't. If it were Nebraska, I might go with #2. If we lose the West, beat the skunks, but somehow the skunks still win the West, then I don't know? In that case, I'd probably go with #1. These alternatives really suck. I need to think more about it.

Ah screw it, beat SIN-BAD and win the West!

Go Gophers!

I'll take a win over Wisconsin and the trophies. Even if the Gophers win the West, they would be heavy dogs in the championship game. Lose the championship game, and we would end up in the same tier of bowl (Capital One, Outback, Holiday) as if we never made it to the championship.

Plus the thought of Badger fans gloating that even in our best year in decades we couldn't beat them seals the deal.

I'd take either. Full trophy case* literally never seemed possible not too long ago and even if Kill gets the program where he wants it will be a tall order to maintain. But in the end I follow this sport for fun, and winning the west means not only a likely cool bowl matchup but also another bonus game to watch with friends/family etc. Super bonus that it is a meaningful game. Have to take winning the West.

Also winning the West despite losing to Sconnie almost certainly means winning @ Lincoln and quite possibly vs OSU. Having won those I'd feel ok about watching a great game for the CCG.

* Do you count the Bell when deciding if we have a full trophy case? Literally you have to, but the emotional side of me (the side that has a team allegiance and rivals) only cares about the Bell to the degree that it means we won our most recent match with PSU. A decided #4 to the point that any year we have the other 3 in the case feels like a full year to me.

Win the west. Even with how hard it would be to stomach a Wisconsin loss in that scenario.

yes golden boy. Full trophy case = all 4 trophies = Axe, pig, jug, bell

Full trophy case.

Then prepare for next year's world domination.

Brick by brick.

I want to defer my choice until after we beat Illinois.

I want to defer my choice until after we beat Illinois.

Beating illinois doesn't play into either of these scenarios. Both could happen even with a loss to illinois...

Win the West. If we win the West, but lose to Wisconsin, it probably means that the Gophers had their best season in decades. The last 6-win Big Ten season was 1973. I realize that a division title isn't on the same level as a Big Ten title, but it would end 47 year title drought. That divisional title would be displayed at the stadium forever. Beating Wisconsin would take a monkey off the Gophers back, but I think the title is the bigger thing. Of course, if I get to choose, I choose both. Just plain greedy, I guess.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Is this even a question that you guys need to think about? Win the west. Every single time. I'd lose to Wisconsin another 10 times if it meant one division title.

If you asked Wisconsin the same question they would drop this rivalry so fast you wouldn't even remember it existed.

1. Win the West but you lose to Wisconsin the last game

or

2. Lose the West but you beat Wisconsin and secure all 4 trophies

Yes this assumes we beat Iowa. Both would be great seasons. Was arguing this with some people in our section last week and interested to see other thoughts.

My vote. Win the west but lose to Wisconsin but... wow... does it suck to say that

#2. If option #1 was win the B1G I would take it, a division "title" means nothing to me if you don't win the CCG.

I think a win over Wisconsin would do more for the program in the big picture. I'd hate to lose to them and then perhaps get blown off the field a week later by a team with far more big game experience. I also think a win over Wisconsin would still mean an awesome bowl game.

If this was next season, when the Big Ten champ goes to the Rose Bowl, I would gladly sacrifice the Wisconsin game for one game with a shot at Pasadena.

But since the Rose Bowl is off the table this year (barring a miracle run to the playoff), I'd rather win in Madison, which would probably mean a great bowl game either way.

#2. If option #1 was win the B1G I would take it, a division "title" means nothing to me if you don't win the CCG.

Interesting I hadn't thought about it that way. But for the program would winning the West mean more whether they win the CCG or not? Win the West and we get a banner in the stadium for ever. Win the axe and its just a trophy for one year? I wish we could poll the seniors on this question and see what they want more

Interesting I hadn't thought about it that way. But for the program would winning the West mean more whether they win the CCG or not? Win the West and we get a banner in the stadium for ever. Win the axe and its just a trophy for one year? I wish we could poll the seniors on this question and see what they want more

Well we have heard several quotes from players that their goal this year is to win the west.

Win the West...Another nationally televised game with the whole country watching. This means any recruits that are on the fence about playing for the Gophers will get another chance to watch us on a big stage. Nobody outside of MN and WI give 2 sh*ts about the Ax.

Also, this would give us 1 more game to prep for our bowl whether we win or get smoked.

Long term I don't see a standard win against WI being bigger for the program than winning the West and playing in the CCG.

Depends. Say we lose to Nebby but beat WI and go 10-2 (with Nebby winning the West) and finish 4th in the B10 pecking order, I may take that over say losing to OSU and WI, going 9-3 and winning the West because we beat Nebby and WI loses 2 more games somehow, then getting our doors blown off in the B10 championship game.

Actually who am I kidding, going to the B10 championship game would trump beating any one team

Hanging a banner for being better than 5 other teams seems odd to me. Winning the Axe this year is much more than a trophy for one year, it would be another exorcism of demons and stop the decade long run Wisconsin has. I think that's a big deal.

If the scenarios assume we get to the title game and lose then I would probably rather have a full trophy case. If the result of that last game is up in the air then I don't see how you can pick anything other then getting a shot at a BIG championship no matter how much it would stink to lose to Wisconsin.

To lose to Wisconsin and still win the division, it probably means we would have 2 of the 3 between Iowa, OSU and Nebraska leaving us at 6-2. That's a pretty special season. I would wager that the memory of going to the Championship game would far outlast the outcome of the Wisconsin game. Plus we'll just beat them in 2015 when we get them at home!

If Cobb's legs hold out, Leidner keeps progressing, WRs earn confidence, OL, DL and secondary stays healthy...

Top Bottom