Mason on Pitino: All he wants to do is win. And that instills that in our mindset.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

How has it been adjusting to Pitino's coaching style?
He's all about winning. There is no doubt about it. He's a young coach, fired up, chip on his shoulder, and that's the best type of coach to have. All he wants to do is win. And that instills that in our mindset.

Do you feel like you fit the new system?
Definitely. I like to play fast, he likes to play fast. I'm just here to get us in the best situation possible.

Do you see more similarities in your game with Big Dre [Andre Hollins] or Little Dre [DeAndre Mathieu]?
I don't know, I've never really thought about it. But if I would have to answer, I'd probably say I'm more of a driver [like Mathieu], but I like to stop and shoot sometimes. It's kind of different.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/280191912.html

Go Gophers!!

Mason is my guy. I'm in love with a pull up jump shooter (I loved Devoe's game while he was interested) and confident ball handler. I see this kid leading this team from next year on. Quiet, calm, execution. My kind of guy.

Mason is my guy. I'm in love with a pull up jump shooter (I loved Devoe's game while he was interested) and confident ball handler. I see this kid leading this team from next year on. Quiet, calm, execution. My kind of guy.

+1
Posters had kinda forgot about him because he was a spring signee and we recruited a lot of guards, but I'm very excited about his future.

Can't wait until the open scrimmage on Sunday.

+1
Posters had kinda forgot about him because he was a spring signee and we recruited a lot of guards, but I'm very excited about his future.

Can't wait until the open scrimmage on Sunday.

Signed in November.

I hated Devoe's game... think Mason will be the opposite for me though.

Overall, I didn't like Devoe and I don't have fond memories of Devoe.

However, when he was on and when he was hitting his pull up jump shot, I liked him.

You do realize that the mid-range shot is statistically the worst shot to take in basketball though...don't you? Drive to the hoop for a shot and foul, or dish it back to an open 3. Stop-n-pop only in the transition game when you have guys crashing toward the hoop.

I do like the attitude Mason seems to bring, which is what I think is your main point.

You do realize that the mid-range shot is statistically the worst shot to take in basketball though...don't you? Drive to the hoop for a shot and foul, or dish it back to an open 3. Stop-n-pop only in the transition game when you have guys crashing toward the hoop.

I do like the attitude Mason seems to bring, which is what I think is your main point.

If a player can hit them at a good rate then the shot is fine. You dont want to have a whole offense based on that philosophy though. You aren't going to tell a guy like Lemarcus Aldridge to quit taking long two's because they are statistically a bad shot.

Yea these days you really want long range shooters or penetrators. The mid range game is still relevant but typically only 'good' mid range shots and off the dribble stop and pop shots are generally pretty inefficient. Guys like Russ Westbrook have worked that into their game to the point that they are highly efficient with that shot but I really don't want to see a lot of mid range pull up J's from a backup freshman guard.

Yes, I'm aware of the analytics of the 2 pt shot. As you said my comment is more for that "type" of player more-so then the idea of taking a lot of jump shots from midrange. A guy that can create separation off the dribble, knock down a shot, create his own shot etc. According to Mason, he's more of a penetrator and finish at the rim guy per the comment that he's more like lil dre than big dre.

Top Bottom