ESPN: Michigan drops 2015 student ticket prices by 40%

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Athletic director Dave Brandon continued his quest to make amends with the Michigan student body Thursday by announcing a significant drop in student football ticket prices for the 2015 season.

A season pass to all seven of the Wolverines' home games in 2015 will cost students $175, down from $280, according to details released through the Michigan Daily student newspaper. Prices for non-student season-ticket holders won't be affected by the change.

"A nearly 40 percent reduction in ticket prices is, I think it's fair to say, unprecedented," Brandon told the Daily.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...er-prices-student-tickets-football-games-2015

Go Gophers!!

The fact that they could charge $280 and sell them all is incredible.

That would be impressive if Brandon hadn't raised the prices from $32.50 per game in 2012 to $40 per game this year. He's just realizing he pushed the envelope too far for a mediocre product, and is now being forced to course correct.

What about keeping the prices up and guarantying a refund if they don't hit a certain win total? I'd rather be told "we are so confident we are improved next year, you will get a big chunk of change back if we aren't" than "oh jeez, our crappy product isn't worth what we've been charging."

What about keeping the prices up and guarantying a refund if they don't hit a certain win total? I'd rather be told "we are so confident we are improved next year, you will get a big chunk of change back if we aren't" than "oh jeez, our crappy product isn't worth what we've been charging."

Refund models make budgeting a serious challenge.

Better to announce it now rather than wait until they get blown out again by MSU

People are too price sensitive. If Michigan was in contention to win a national title, then the $280 price tag would make sense. But the team is terrible, so it is time to lower the cost to the students.

Sounds like a great way to get people to cheer for the other team...

That would be impressive if Brandon hadn't raised the prices from $32.50 per game in 2012 to $40 per game this year. He's just realizing he pushed the envelope too far for a mediocre product, and is now being forced to course correct.

Brandon is the former CEO of Dominos. He knows that if you make a crappy pizza then you've gotta give away cheesy bread to get people to eat it. A mediocre product requires innovative marketing and pricing.

I think he's also doing this to save his job. He doesn't want 800 students on his front lawn again when SCum gets rolled by MSU tomorrow

Top Bottom