BTN's Tom Dienhart: Minnesota is the best team in the Big Ten West (Sell)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart's weekly "Buy or Sell" column:

Minnesota is the best team in the Big Ten West.

Sell. I think Nebraska is the team to beat. Look. I love Jerry Kill and this Golden Gophers squad, which sits atop the division with a 3-0 mark. Minnesota has one of the most underrated defenses in the Big Ten. And an offense fueled by workhorse back David Cobb is getting better as quarterback Mitch Leidner comes on as a passer. Still, the offense remains too pedestrian. And a rough November schedule that includes visits from Iowa and Ohio State along with trips to Nebraska and Wisconsin may derail the Gophers. But you have to like the direction of things. Now, get Kill some better facilities.

http://btn.com/2014/10/23/buy-or-sell-minnesota-is-the-best-team-in-the-big-ten-west/

Go Gophers!!

Well no schidt....the guy who hates Minnesota, from season start and unlike many...won't jump on the bandwagon, thinks we still suck.

If the Gophers can get by Illinois and win two of the final four, they will have worked miracles. That would be a nine-win season not counting a bowl. Even winning one of the three would be terrific. Let's not expect too much.

So far...I think we've gone into every Big Ten game with a coaching staff that was confident we could get the job done if we execute and minimize turnovers. I fully expect to see a few Offensive wrinkles thrown into the last 4 games much like Nebraska last year. I think our 'Pedestrian' game plans on offense have been by design.

Well no schidt....the guy who hates Minnesota, from season start and unlike many...won't jump on the bandwagon, thinks we still suck.

"Look. I love Jerry Kill and this Golden Gophers squad"

"Minnesota has one of the most underrated defenses in the Big Ten."

"But you have to like the direction of things."

"Another classic tale of two programs (MN/ILL) going in opposite directions"

"Leidner is getting better each week..."

"A great gut-check win by the Golden Gophers showed the toughness of this team and the acumen of the coaches"

"Minnesota’s visit to Nebraska on Nov. 22 could end up being very big."

The hatred is just overwhelming. Imagine the things he would've posted in the Minnesota-Purdue game thread last Saturday.

"Look. I love Jerry Kill and this Golden Gophers squad"

"Minnesota has one of the most underrated defenses in the Big Ten."

"But you have to like the direction of things."

"Another classic tale of two programs (MN/ILL) going in opposite directions"

"Leidner is getting better each week..."

"A great gut-check win by the Golden Gophers showed the toughness of this team and the acumen of the coaches"

"Minnesota’s visit to Nebraska on Nov. 22 could end up being very big."

The hatred is just overwhelming. Imagine the things he would've posted in the Minnesota-Purdue game thread last Saturday.

This. I think some folks cannot be pleased. He's been pretty kind to us over the last few weeks. Further, I don't think their are many that would disagree that Nebraska is the clear front runner-right now- for the West. I think that's a fairly popular opinion. I'm just glad to something positive at this point in the year.

This. I think some folks cannot be pleased. He's been pretty kind to us over the last few weeks. Further, I don't think their are many that would disagree that Nebraska is the clear front runner-right now- for the West. I think that's a fairly popular opinion. I'm just glad to something positive at this point in the year.

Agree that there are just people who look for reasons to get offended or feel slighted. There is nothing wrong with what Dienhart wrote there and frankly I agree that at this point Nebraska should still be considered the favorite to win the West.

Just win out. That will cure everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the Gophers can get by Illinois and win two of the final four, they will have worked miracles. That would be a nine-win season not counting a bowl. Even winning one of the three would be terrific. Let's not expect too much.

And if one of the two wins is Nebraska, that could be good enough to win the West. That would be 6-2 with the tie breaker over Nebraska and Iowa. The only tie breaker we wouldn't hold is Wisconsin.

If Wisconsin manages to lose 2 of their next 5, we can clinch before the last week of the season.

I don't think he said anything wrong. I don't expect the Gophers to come out of the West. It's going to be tough and they have a tough end to the schedule. It wouldn't surprise me if they missed it by a game.

BUT, I'm still going into every game expecting to win!

Take off your homer hat, what he says is an accurate analysis. He never said we suck, just that the schedule is tough and he thinks Nebraska has a more likely path to the West title.

Expect? Maybe not. Believe? Why not?

Just continue to beat the teams they put in front of us. That is all they can do. Earn respect.

Can we please just win tomorrow. Beat illinois. Get healthy. Beat Iowa. And then our November games are actually VERY important! How exciting is that? We would have a chance to own all 4 trophies. When was the last time that happened? We would also control our own destiny in winning the West and with how the games shake out may only need to win 1 of the last 3. 2 of the last 3 would definitely secure it at that point. But none of this matters if we don't win tomorrow.

BEAT ILLINOIS.... Go Gophers! Rah

Can we please just win tomorrow. Beat illinois. Get healthy. Beat Iowa. And then our November games are actually VERY important! How exciting is that? We would have a chance to own all 4 trophies. When was the last time that happened? We would also control our own destiny in winning the West and with how the games shake out may only need to win 1 of the last 3. 2 of the last 3 would definitely secure it at that point. But none of this matters if we don't win tomorrow.

BEAT ILLINOIS.... Go Gophers! Rah

Never. The last time we held Axe/Floyd/Jug was before the Bell came into existence. I think I heard this is the first time we have had Jug and Bell at the same time.

Never. The last time we held Axe/Floyd/Jug was before the Bell came into existence. I think I heard this is the first time we have had Jug and Bell at the same time.

Wow. I knew it never happened in my lifetime but this blows my mind. This season has the chance to be historic on so many levels

Wow. I knew it never happened in my lifetime but this blows my mind. This season has the chance to be historic on so many levels

Absolutely. If we get all four, I am definitely getting a picture with them at the State Fair next year.

Oh crap...I found some more from Dienhart! He does really hate the Gophers!!

"This defense is nothing more than complete dog**** "

"I know, let's do our absolute best to negate a big penalty on them to have maybe two on us for being complete MORONS, AGAIN!!!! "

"Zac Epping is nothing more than a huge liability, if it weren't for our horrible depth if pull him from the game. Now we go down 28-20. Game over kiddies.. "

"Thank God our coach is a disciplinarian..... I'd hate to have a team that makes a lot of stupid mistakes and penalties."

That's true - the only other time we've beaten Michigan during the Bell's existence was in 2005 and it happened a week after we lost the Bell. We lost the Jug to Michigan the next year before playing Penn State again.

Dienhart, to me, comes off as a bit patronizing toward the Gophers so I understand the thin skin when it comes to some of the attitudes related to him. Nothing terrible. Not advocating pitchforks and torches.

Perhaps if the Gophers can manhandle Nebraska for a second straight year, writers may believe they have a chance in future meetings.

Beat Illinois.

Beat Iowa.

After that, the Gophers are 100% playing with house money.

Beat Illinois.

Beat Iowa.

After that, the Gophers are 100% playing with house money.

+1

Also, while we will likely be Touchdown+ dogs in the remaining 3, if we go into the brutal end 5-0 I don't see us finishing 0-3. And the lowest hanging fruit will be the Axe.

I wouldn't be so sure if that one loss is to Nebraska. We could still go 7-1 and finish 2nd.

Agreed. i guess when I made that statement I assumed the one loss would be to ohio state. A loss to nebraska and we would need them to lose another. but dayam. that would mean we would beat ohio state...

Oh crap...I found some more from Dienhart! He does really hate the Gophers!!

"This defense is nothing more than complete dog**** "

"I know, let's do our absolute best to negate a big penalty on them to have maybe two on us for being complete MORONS, AGAIN!!!! "

"Zac Epping is nothing more than a huge liability, if it weren't for our horrible depth if pull him from the game. Now we go down 28-20. Game over kiddies.. "

"Thank God our coach is a disciplinarian..... I'd hate to have a team that makes a lot of stupid mistakes and penalties."

LMAO, that game thread is priceless.

Correct. Lets just beat Illinois and talk the crap for a few days then talk about the next game. Games will get tougher and the pressure will mount.

Top Bottom