PiPress: Jerry Kill says Michigan job not in the cards: "This is my home."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill's name was mentioned in a Sports Illustrated article about possible candidates for the Michigan job if Brady Hoke is fired, but he said Thursday on the radio that "this is my home."

Minnesota (6-1, 3-0) is 14-6 in its last 20 games, and Kill's record in his first 45 games is the best for the program since Bernie Bierman was 35-6-4 from 1932-37.

"It's a compliment," Kill said on KFAN 100.3-FM. "But I also know that the most important thing when you go through that, I've seen a lot of coaches and a lot of people get caught up in all of that stuff, and that's when you're not successful.

"I've said all along is that this is my home, and as long as people want me in this home, I'm in good shape. We don't beat Illinois (Saturday), they may be calling me in and there won't be any mention, except getting an apple and a road map. So it's important for us to take care of that."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Kill handled it well but it was stupid that he even has to address it because I don't think he will be anywhere near the short list of candidates for the Michigan job when they pull the plug on the Brady Hoke era. Kill has done a good job here to this point but he has yet to accomplish anything that would make him a viable candidate for a place like Michigan.

The way things are going for Michigan, Matt Millen is on that short list and leading.

Kill handled it well but it was stupid that he even has to address it because I don't think he will be anywhere near the short list of candidates for the Michigan job when they pull the plug on the Brady Hoke era. Kill has done a good job here to this point but he has yet to accomplish anything that would make him a viable candidate for a place like Michigan.

Who do you think they will realistically be able to hire?

Would Dan Mullen or someone like that take the Michigan job?

I have no clue who will be the hot commodities or who they will target but until Kill wins a Big Ten championship here I just can't see the helmet schools trying to steal him away. He has brought the program out of the mess that was the Brewster era but in the grand scheme of things he has not accomplished a great deal beyond that. If we are still sitting atop the West at the end of November that would change things some.

And again I don't say this to try and discredit what he has accomplished here I just don't see it as anywhere close to the level of success he would need to have in order to be a viable candidate for the top jobs that come open every year. He needs to establish a consistent contender here before that becomes a reality.

Yes Mississippi State is better than coaching at Michigan.

One campus is located in Ann Arbor Michigan and the stadium the big house is one of college football's "Cathedral stadiums" even if the crowd is subdued.
The other Mississippi State is located in Starkville Mississippi, a cow town, with a bastion of fans that are known for ringing cowbells.
That and you have to live in the Mississippi an armpit of a state as far as infrastructure and education goes.
Mullen's wife is from the midwest, and Michigan recruits it's self MSU is in Starkville and has cowbells. If Michigan wanted Dan Mullen and pulled the trigger on a fairly substantial salary, Hoke would be out in a heartbeat and Mullen if he wanted would take the Michigan job.
Mississippi State may be number one right now but they will not stay there and do not have staying power.
ESPN and the media like's at Fox may downgrade the Big 10 conference but Michigan is still a glamor job in college football, anyone that think's otherwise is kidding themselves. Michigan's job will still go to a high profile coach. Besides if Mullen were to leave he would likely take the Florida Gators job since Mussechamp is pooping that opportunity away. Mullen coached at Florida, it is only a matter of time before he will be the Gators head coach.

I know where you are coming from, I just question Michigan's ability to hire a coach who has won BCS conference championships. I'm sure they thought of that last time, and ended up settling for a dude who somehow was considered a hot commodity after amassing a losing record at Ball State and going 13-12 at SDSU. His demise is almost as predictable in hindsight as was Brewster's.

Depends on who gets axed with Hoke. If the AD goes and a new guy can come in, it changes things drastically.

I think they're going to pay in the $6m range for a top-notch coach this time, honestly do (especially because Dave Brandon won't be running the show). Their alumni and fans are pretty much livid, having reached what seems to be "rock bottom" for their program. And unlike last time, the whole "Michigan Man" theme isn't casting a maize and blue shadow over the whole thing - it never should've been a requirement but for whatever reason, people felt it was a key issue with Rich Rod.

I think they're going to pay in the $6m range for a top-notch coach this time, honestly do (especially because Dave Brandon won't be running the show). Their alumni and fans are pretty much livid, having reached what seems to be "rock bottom" for their program. And unlike last time, the whole "Michigan Man" theme isn't casting a maize and blue shadow over the whole thing - it never should've been a requirement but for whatever reason, people felt it was a key issue with Rich Rod.

I hope they learn what "rock bottom" really is. We have had to endure it, I'd love to see the arrogant Michigan fanbase get a taste.

I have no clue who will be the hot commodities or who they will target but until Kill wins a Big Ten championship here I just can't see the helmet schools trying to steal him away. He has brought the program out of the mess that was the Brewster era but in the grand scheme of things he has not accomplished a great deal beyond that. If we are still sitting atop the West at the end of November that would change things some.

And again I don't say this to try and discredit what he has accomplished here I just don't see it as anywhere close to the level of success he would need to have in order to be a viable candidate for the top jobs that come open every year. He needs to establish a consistent contender here before that becomes a reality.

Did you not read that his first 45 games is the best at MN since 1932-37? That's the best start in 80 years! That's more than just an accomplishment.

It's my belief that when he said this will be his last job, he meant it.

Kill says Minnesota is home for him. Just another reason to like Coach Kill.

Did you not read that his first 45 games is the best at MN since 1932-37? That's the best start in 80 years! That's more than just an accomplishment.

It's my belief that when he said this will be his last job, he meant it.

For everyone that's curious, here are the coaching records through 45 games, going back to Bierman 1932-1937, for coaches that have been here for at least 45 games:

Bierman: 35-6-4 (.822)
Kill: 23-22 (.511)
Warmath: 21-22-2 (.489)
Stoll: 22-23 (.489)
Mason: 21-24 (.467)
Gutekunst: 20-23-2 (.467)
Salem: 19-25-1 (.433)
Brewster: 15-30 (.333)
Wacker: 13-32 (.288)

For everyone that's curious, here are the coaching records through 45 games, going back to Bierman 1932-1937, for coaches that have been here for at least 45 games:

Let's not forget GopherHole... 0-45-0

Damn, that's depressing.

Depressing yeah, but notice the fact that 5 different coaches basically had the same record after 45 games, with Gutey, Warmath and Stoll playing much tougher non-conference schedules?

Can't thank you for that reminder Captain..

Boy we have come a long way from the "Is Kill the right guy" thread a long 5-weeks ago.

Country Jer

Reusse pointed it out years ago but everyone should be on the lookout when Jerry Kill uses his 'down home' strong accent. The Aw Shucks geez guys disarms the victim for the body blow.

Top Bottom