Illinois Announces Additional Player-Safety Measure

Iceland12

Reaction score
Sounds like a reaction to Hoke and Company against the Gophers.

The University of Illinois announced an additional player-safety measure at football games on Wednesday, as a medical professional will be located in the Memorial Stadium press box to help spot potential injuries. This staffer will provide support for the Fighting Illini's athletic training and medical staff, giving an additional point of view of the entire field.

"We feel the addition of a qualified spotter from the press box gives us another set of educated eyes to watch for any injuries that might not be so easily seen from the sidelines," Illinois director of athletics Mike Thomas said. "The safety and welfare of our student-athletes is at the top of our objectives and responsibilities, and this is an added layer to ensure we're giving them the best medical care possible."

This medical professional will be responsible for maintaining a full view of the entire field of play and identifying any players who may require further evaluation by an athletic trainer or doctor on the sideline. He or she will have access to the television video feed and will be able to communicate immediately and directly with sideline medical personnel.

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102214aac.html

If I'm not mistaken, kill stated on KFAN last week that all BIG 10 schools started this after the UM-m game

Their coach is the one that needs the safety devices.

It seems that other teams are reacting to the physical style of play of the Gophers. I can't get used to Gopher football being associated with physicality.

If I'm not mistaken, Michigan had about 100,000 spotters minus one when we played them.

Top Bottom