Shama: Gophers Goal: Big Ten’s Best Backcourt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Mathieu, who will stay in the gym until he makes 300 or more jump shots to improve his shooting, said he and Hollins “want to be the best backcourt in the conference.” When the coaches and media selected All-Big Teams after last season the two didn’t receive a lot of recognition. Both were named honorable mention by the media. Hollins was an honorable mention selection by the coaches.

Omissions haven’t gone unnoticed. “I’d be lying if I said it didn’t bother me because I was kind of upset about it,” Mathieu said. “I felt like we played good enough. I talk to him (Andre) about it all the time. We got some work to do.

“We’re going out this year and trying to be the best two guards in the league. I know we’re going to have to do our parts to make this team the best team possible. Hopefully being two of the best guards in the conference can do that.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Interesting. I did think he looked more than 1 inch taller than Mo.

"Eliason is listed at 6-11 but said he’s a “legit” 7 feet with shoes on and wants to be listed as a 7-footer."

Joey up to 234 lbs now from 6'8, 218 lbs last season. That's really nice to see, but now he needs to add some aggressiveness on the boards and some strong hands to allow himself to be a respectable rebounder. I think he can be a really nice asset for us this year.

Joey up to 234 lbs now from 6'8, 218 lbs last season. That's really nice to see, but now he needs to add some aggressiveness on the boards and some strong hands to allow himself to be a respectable rebounder. I think he can be a really nice asset for us this year.

Was listening to a podcast with Zach Lowe with Grantland and he made an interesting point. How good of a rebounder a guy is is not necessarily indicated by his rebounds per game. Instead people should look at the team's rebounding performance with player X on the floor. Citing JJ Hickson compared to Roy Hibbert. That even though Hickson puts up nice RPG numbers, he isn't as important to his team getting rebounds as Hibbert is for Indiana.

Not sure what the Gopher numbers look like, just found it interesting as we often look at rebounds per game as the end all be all rebound indicator.

King was a bad rebounder last year by every measure. Rebounds per game, rebound rate, and the eye test. Hopefully he can improve in that aspect.

Eliason is tall

Eliason was always taller than Colt. Colt was 7' in shoes at the NBA draft camp. Eliason could be close to 7-1. Also interesting in the time of 7 footers trying to be small forwards, like Garnett not wanting to be listed at 7-1 and wanted to be 6-11 because he's "not a center"; that Eliason wants to be 7' and is a center.

Interesting. I did think he looked more than 1 inch taller than Mo.

"Eliason is listed at 6-11 but said he’s a “legit” 7 feet with shoes on and wants to be listed as a 7-footer."

Top Bottom