UNC had sham classes, tutors writing papers, for 18 years

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Being discussed on the football board as well. This is much, much worse than what happened with Clem (IMO). Wonder if the punishment will match the crime?

Here's the report: http://advancingrefor.staging.wpengi...NAL-REPORT.pdf

There's a ton in there. But some highlights:

Between 1993 and 2011, Crowder and Nyang’oro developed and ran a “shadow curriculum” within the AFAM Department that provided students with academically flawed instruction through the offering of “paper classes.” These were classes that involved no interaction with a faculty member, required no class attendance or course work other than a single paper, and resulted in consistently high grades that Crowder awarded without reading the papers or otherwise evaluating their true quality.

A good number of these student-athletes were “steered” to the AFAM paper classes by certain academic counselors in ASPSA. This steering was most prevalent among the counselors for the revenue sports of football and men’s basketball. While some of these counselors knew only that these were easy classes, others were fully aware that there was no faculty involvement and that Crowder was managing the whole course and grading the papers. Those counselors saw these paper classes as “GPA boosters” and steered players into them largely in order to help them maintain their GPAs and their eligibility under the NCAA and Chapel Hill eligibility rules. At least two of those counselors went so far as to suggest what grades Crowder should award to their players who were taking her paper classes.

ASPSA made tutors available to all student-athletes, and those tutors often helped the student-athletes with their paper-class papers. While most conducted themselves appropriately, several of the tutors crossed the line between permissible and impermissible assistance and drafted parts of the papers that the student-athletes submitted for credit in these classes.

Like many universities, the Chapel Hill administration took a loose, decentralized approach to management of its departments and department chairpersons, on the theory that strong management in the college environment unduly constrains the academic independence that fosters creative instruction and research. As a result of this approach, the University failed to conduct any meaningful oversight of the AFAM Department and ASPSA, and Crowder’s paper class scheme was allowed to operate within one of the nation’s premier academic institutions for almost two decades.

We found no evidence that the higher levels of the University tried in any way to obscure the facts or the magnitude of this situation. To the extent there were times of delay or equivocation in their response to this controversy, we largely attribute that to insufficient appreciation of the scale of the problem, an understandable lack of experience with this sort of institutional crisis and some lingering disbelief that such misconduct could have occurred at Chapel Hill.

My personal favorite:

A total of 2,152 individual students who enrolled in the paper classes were included in this impact analysis. Of that number, 329 students (including 169 student-athletes) had at least one semester in which the grade they received in their paper class either pushed or kept their GPA above 2.0. In other words, for at least one semester in their college career, each of those students had an actual cumulative GPA above a 2.0 but a recalculated GPA (excluding the paper class grade(s)) below a 2.0. This number includes 123 football players, 15 men’s basketball players, eight women’s basketball players, and 26 Olympic sport athletes. Of that number, we identified 81 students who earned degrees from Chapel Hill whose recalculated final GPA excluding the grade(s) from their paper class or classes was less than the 2.0 required to graduate.

Wondering if the NCAA, which has almost systematically stuck it's collective head in the sand in regards to the academic shenanigans North Carolina, will actually do something to the beloved Tarheels. The fact that North Carolina's athletic advisers actually "recommended" letter grades for athletes to keep them eligible if beyond appalling. Now let's see if the NCAA has the cajones to do anything about it. After 18 years of this crap, North Carolina certainly deserves it.

Division I basketball coaches are the biggest control freaks in the history of the planet. They know absolutely EVERYTHING that goes on in their programs. But we're supposed to believe Good Ole' Roy didn't know this was going on? Would bet my bottom dollar the Compliance office and some in academia world at UNC will end up taking the fall while Roy and his cronies plead ignorance.

Division I basketball coaches are the biggest control freaks in the history of the planet. They know absolutely EVERYTHING that goes on in their programs. But we're supposed to believe Good Ole' Roy didn't know this was going on? Would bet my bottom dollar the Compliace office and some in academia world at UNC will end up taking the fall while Roy and his cronies plead ignorance.

Even if we accept that he didn't know what was going on (and I agree with you, he absolutely knew what was going on), his hardware was won with players who were academically ineligible but for these sham classes. The wins should be vacated either way.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Fox Sports:

In October 2000, the NCAA Committee on Infractions handed Minnesota’s men’s basketball program a one-year postseason ban, reduced scholarships and vacated a Final Four appearance because a secretary for longtime coach Clem Haskins had written papers (with his knowledge) for at least 18 players over a five-year period. In its report, the committee described the violations as “among the most serious academic fraud violations to come before it in the past 20 years. The violations were significant, widespread and intentional. More than that, their nature — academic fraud — undermined the bedrock foundation of a university and the operation of its intercollegiate athletics program.”

On Wednesday, Kenneth L. Wainstein released the results of an independent investigation into academic fraud at the University of North Carolina so massive in scope that the word serious hardly does it justice. If three rogue employees and 18 cheating basketball players over a five-year period at Minnesota merited those strong words, what will the NCAA eventually say about a bogus-class scheme in Chapel Hill that Wainstein found to involve more than 3,100 students — 47.4 percent of them athletes — over 18 years?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...al-wainstein-report-investigation-ncaa-102214

If there is true and real justice in the world, that program has just been "SMU'd"!!!

Can a university be kicked out of the NCAA?

Can't think of an example that would warrant it more than over 1500 athletes cheating in a university sponsored academic fraud case. Banned from NCAA competition for 5 years sounds about right to me.

IMO UNC should have it's accreditation pulled. Almost 4,000 students are given passing grades and credits in a class where they didn't do a single shred of academic work? How does that count as education?

Someone at Cleveland State is starting to get worried.

This is far worse than what happened at MN and went on far longer (chances sainted Dean Smith knew about it too). Yet it will recieve some small fraction of the punishment...

This is far worse than what happened at MN and went on far longer (chances sainted Dean Smith knew about it too). Yet it will recieve some small fraction of the punishment...

If they don't smack NC but good- I want our Final 4 banners back up in the rafters at the Barn.

If they don't smack NC but good- I want our Final 4 banners back up in the rafters at the Barn.

Think about it. We got nailed in '98 or was it '99? This crap had already been going on at UNC for several years. Yet even with what happened to Minnesota they just kept on going? The arrogance is amazing! Of course, with the pious Dean Smith at the controls, they must have been pretty sure about the NCAA's double standards. I think Duke is no longer my most hated college basketball program. Well, wait, forgot about The Grinch but that's more like a feud with a dip**** neighbor.

IMO UNC should have it's accreditation pulled. Almost 4,000 students are given passing grades and credits in a class where they didn't do a single shred of academic work? How does that count as education?

this is what should happen. along with no more student loans, like they did with some of the for profit colleges

This scandal is a big deal on the athletic side of the house, but it should be a HUGE deal on the academic side. Like you said, that is thousands of students committing academic fraud. I sure hope the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commision on Colleges (the people who accredit UNC) do a full audit of the university.

This scandal is a big deal on the athletic side of the house, but it should be a HUGE deal on the academic side. Like you said, that is thousands of students committing academic fraud. I sure hope the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commision on Colleges (the people who accredit UNC) do a full audit of the university.

Wonder how much the value of a UNC degree just went down?

Might sound extreme, but if the ncaa doesn't come down hard on unc, it might very well be a good/great protest.

The scope and duration of UNC's academic fraud is apparently much great greater than what occurred here under Clem. The NCAA needs to respond accordingly. If it does not, there should be protests.

The difference is back then the NCAA was omnipotent. Today, it is a paper tiger that is just trying to survive. The NCAA needs UNC and schools from the power conferences more than they need it. I'll bet that not much happens other than a couple of people getting fired at UNC (maybe one top administrator, but not the president) and Williams keeps his job.

I'm sure the same thing is happening at Duke and it will come out after Coach K retires.

The difference is back then the NCAA was omnipotent. Today, it is a paper tiger that is just trying to survive. The NCAA needs UNC and schools from the power conferences more than they need it. I'll bet that not much happens other than a couple of people getting fired at UNC (maybe one top administrator, but not the president) and Williams keeps his job.

I'm sure the same thing is happening at Duke and it will come out after Coach K retires.

You could have said "a lot of other schools" instead of "Duke". You said "Duke", though. Do you have some evidence? If not, why say "Duke"? Just really curious.

P.S. Duke tends to recruit a higher level of student-athlete than UNC.

UNC should be in huge trouble. NCAA hit PSU with blackmail after a very short timespan of investigation such that PSU had to either accept huge sanctions, or get the death penalty; while PSU didn't actually break any NCAA rules. (Though, as time has passed, some of those sanctions have been lessened.) NCAA hit Minnesota with harsh sanctions after the Clem academic problem that set the entire MBB program back a decade. UNC, however, repeatedly and daringly flaunted NCAA rules that they hold sacred - that of athletics/academics. If the NCAA doesn't act here, it would only directly exemplify just how unfair it truly is.

As others have pointed out here, the accreditation of the University of North Carolina should seriously be reconsidered. This transcends just athletics.

As others have pointed out here, the accreditation of the University of North Carolina should seriously be reconsidered. This transcends just athletics.

That's a fair point, but I don't think pulling their accreditation is a realistic scenario. Not sure what other academic sanctions there could be, BUT the impression I get is that UNC -- and especially their fans -- would love for the focus to be on academics here. Their fans are already trying to frame this as an academic, not athletic scandal, so their beloved basketball and football programs don't get harmed.

I think the school probably will offer to vacate all PAST events affected by relevant players, and argue that no future athletic sanctions apply. Would make me sick if that's all that happened. Vacating past wins is little more than a minor annoyance to fans, as we all know here.

NCAA hit PSU with blackmail after a very short timespan of investigation such that PSU had to either accept huge sanctions, or get the death penalty; while PSU didn't actually break any NCAA rules.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA has the authority to sanction a corrupt athletic department. I don't feel sorry for them whatsoever, and feel they got off lightly with the reduced punishments. Given what we know happened -- and the environment and priorities of the major people involved that would allow such a thing to continue to happen -- I would also bet a large sum of money that there were (are) other major violations occurring that just never came to light. Think about that environment. Can you imagine someone coming to Jerry Kill with direct evidence (eyewitness) to a child rape in his locker room by his assistant coach, and then Jerry just sitting back and nothing happening for years? Um, no. Frankly, that football program should've been shut down entirely for a few years.

Might sound extreme, but if the ncaa doesn't come down hard on unc, it might very well be a good/great protest.

It would certainly get publicity. NCAA wouldn't be able to say much about it without opening themselves up to the question "what is different about UNC?" Too bad I don't think our athletics department would have the cajones to try it. Hope they prove me wrong. Actually, no, I hope it doesn't come to that because I hope the NCAA actually does their job and punishes UNC.

You could have said "a lot of other schools" instead of "Duke". You said "Duke", though. Do you have some evidence? If not, why say "Duke"? Just really curious.

P.S. Duke tends to recruit a higher level of student-athlete than UNC.

Say Duke one more time.

My opinion.... Nothing happens to UNC. Sucks but it would shock me if the NCAA punished UNC.

My opinion.... Nothing happens to UNC. Sucks but it would shock me if the NCAA punished UNC.

this is what I'm thinking and I'm curious to see what the impact on universities will be. If you want to be a big time program in a revenue sport, will athletes be able to effectively take no courses? Skip the scam and go direct to paying them $s and not require any academic progress? If they're aren't really making academic progress, would the NCAA really be able to restrict practice time?

Top Bottom