UNC had sham classes, tutors writing papers, for 18 years

this is what I'm thinking and I'm curious to see what the impact on universities will be. If you want to be a big time program in a revenue sport, will athletes be able to effectively take no courses? Skip the scam and go direct to paying them $s and not require any academic progress? If they're aren't really making academic progress, would the NCAA really be able to restrict practice time?

You just described the National Football League and the National Basketball Association.

You could have said "a lot of other schools" instead of "Duke". You said "Duke", though. Do you have some evidence? If not, why say "Duke"? Just really curious. P.S. Duke tends to recruit a higher level of student-athlete than UNC.

Have you ever heard Will Avery or Cory Maggette interviewed?

You could have said "a lot of other schools" instead of "Duke". You said "Duke", though. Do you have some evidence? If not, why say "Duke"? Just really curious.

P.S. Duke tends to recruit a higher level of student-athlete than UNC.

Will Avery

Division I basketball coaches are the biggest control freaks in the history of the planet. They know absolutely EVERYTHING that goes on in their programs. But we're supposed to believe Good Ole' Roy didn't know this was going on? Would bet my bottom dollar the Compliance office and some in academia world at UNC will end up taking the fall while Roy and his cronies plead ignorance.

Still think all teams are on a level playing field ss?

This should blow the doors off of UNC. Will it happen?

Dennis Dodd: UNC should get death penalty in academic fraud case, but it won't

It's not going to end with North Carolina's administration throwing itself on a flaming pyre of regret and reform. Or coaches moving on after I-don't-remember answers too hard, burning questions about their athletes' matriculation through fake classes.

Some sort of burn-to-the-ground sanction seems to be in order. Death penalty, why not? It's just a matter of who you pin it on. Football, where four coaches have to share some sort of blame. If nothing else, Mack Brown, Carl Torbush, John Bunting and Butch Davis were charged when some of their players -- as part of that free education -- seemingly got free grades. Basketball, where the corruption stretches all the way back to Dean Smith.

And all the way to the desk of basketball coach Roy Williams who didn't ask enough questions. Instead -- quoting from the internal report --"delegated academic responsibilities" to an assistant coach and academic counselor.

That's part of the reason why this massive scandal stinks back two decades. You only find out what you want to find out. It's part of the reason some sport somewhere has to be shut down.

Death penalty? It won't happen, of course. The NCAA doesn't have the stomach for it. There are TV contracts to fulfill, arenas to sell out. It got there, almost, with Penn State. Then the association took most of the penalties back.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...th-penalty-in-academic-fraud-case-but-it-wont

Go Gophers!!

How about they vacate every game played with a player that had grades from the these fake classes in every sport and put the entire athletic department (all sports) on 3 years of restrictions. No post season in any sport for three years. Plus a penalty (all post season revenue share from ACC goes to allowing all those kids with fake grades to retake classes and get real degrees).

How about they vacate every game played with a player that had grades from the these fake classes in every sport and put the entire athletic department (all sports) on 3 years of restrictions. No post season in any sport for three years. Plus a penalty (all post season revenue share from ACC goes to allowing all those kids with fake grades to retake classes and get real degrees).

Seems appropriate. They should probably get some scholarship reductions too. Not sure if current players are involved, or if they quashed this with the start of the investigation, but this definitely merits future hardship.

Wonder what 2005 Illinois and 2009 MSU teams think of this, they don't get the do over opportunity. Can a guy like Bruce Weber take legal action? His career was definitely harmed.

I am all on board with vacating every win and accomplishment achieved in games with players with grades from fake classes.

Seems appropriate. They should probably get some scholarship reductions too. Not sure if current players are involved, or if they quashed this with the start of the investigation, but this definitely merits future hardship.

Wonder what 2005 Illinois and 2009 MSU teams think of this, they don't get the do over opportunity. Can a guy like Bruce Weber take legal action? His career was definitely harmed.

My guess is they are happy they aren't looking into their programs.

IMO UNC should have it's accreditation pulled. Almost 4,000 students are given passing grades and credits in a class where they didn't do a single shred of academic work? How does that count as education?

There are joke classes at every single institution around the United States. They may not be as extreme as the UNC example, but they do exist. At the same time, students pass this knowledge of joke classes around to get overall GPA boosts even though their major GPA will be lower.

Dennis Dodd: UNC should get death penalty in academic fraud case, but it won't

It's not going to end with North Carolina's administration throwing itself on a flaming pyre of regret and reform. Or coaches moving on after I-don't-remember answers too hard, burning questions about their athletes' matriculation through fake classes.

Some sort of burn-to-the-ground sanction seems to be in order. Death penalty, why not? It's just a matter of who you pin it on. Football, where four coaches have to share some sort of blame. If nothing else, Mack Brown, Carl Torbush, John Bunting and Butch Davis were charged when some of their players -- as part of that free education -- seemingly got free grades. Basketball, where the corruption stretches all the way back to Dean Smith.

And all the way to the desk of basketball coach Roy Williams who didn't ask enough questions. Instead -- quoting from the internal report --"delegated academic responsibilities" to an assistant coach and academic counselor.

That's part of the reason why this massive scandal stinks back two decades. You only find out what you want to find out. It's part of the reason some sport somewhere has to be shut down.

Death penalty? It won't happen, of course. The NCAA doesn't have the stomach for it. There are TV contracts to fulfill, arenas to sell out. It got there, almost, with Penn State. Then the association took most of the penalties back.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...th-penalty-in-academic-fraud-case-but-it-wont

Go Gophers!!

NCAA has stated numerous times a death penalty will most likely never be handed out again.

There are joke classes at every single institution around the United States. They may not be as extreme as the UNC example, but they do exist. At the same time, students pass this knowledge of joke classes around to get overall GPA boosts even though their major GPA will be lower.

There is a big difference between easy classes with lax standards, and actual fake classes. If you pad your GPA and credit totals with intro to hockey and wine tasting, than anyone who looks at your transcript will have the correct impression that you racked up grades and credits playing hockey and tasting wine. If instead it is padded with a fake African American Studies Independent Studies class, then someone looking at your transcript will be left with the mistaken impression that you built your GPA and credit totals by Independently Studying African American Studies.

I'm pretty sure the NCAA has the authority to sanction a corrupt athletic department. I don't feel sorry for them whatsoever, and feel they got off lightly with the reduced punishments. Given what we know happened -- and the environment and priorities of the major people involved that would allow such a thing to continue to happen -- I would also bet a large sum of money that there were (are) other major violations occurring that just never came to light. Think about that environment. Can you imagine someone coming to Jerry Kill with direct evidence (eyewitness) to a child rape in his locker room by his assistant coach, and then Jerry just sitting back and nothing happening for years? Um, no. Frankly, that football program should've been shut down entirely for a few years.

Sounds bad. Did that actually happen though? (no direct evidence) Anyway, that's besides the point...IMO the NCAA should keep out of criminal matters.

So to summarize, Williams is worried about his programs reputation, and oh so angry about people accusing him or his 'academic advisor' of doing anything but emphasizing academics and holding themselves to the absolute highest moral standard.

No mention of the fact that former players and the investigation report both say that Williams/Walden pushed players into these classes, or that 10 of the 15 members of the '05 championship team were AFAM majors... nope, I'm sure Roy had no idea any of this was going on for the past two decades. ;)

Rashad McCants is no angel, but whatever his motives he's not the one looking like a liar in all this. At least he spoke the truth.

All those former teammates and Tar Heels that were bad-mouthing McCants and standing up for good Ole' Golly Gee Roy and the good Ole' Boy Carolina program are the ones looking like fools. The best thing McCants did when he spoke up was to tell some of his former teammates, "If you have nothing to hide, simply make your UNC transcript public like I did."

I don't think there were any takers among the former Tar Heels?

UNC paid more than 1 million in PR costs for academic scandal

dupe (Homer)

I hope the accrediting agency is headed by an NC State or Wake Forest grad. They are loving this and want UNC to suffer.

Like it or not, academic cheating is the norm is college athletics. The evidence is overwhelming.

The cheaters typically win, and win big.

If you want to compete for the top spots, cheat.

What's your point. Doesn't matter how much it happens. What matters is when it is found, it is stamped out. Just like any other criminal act.

Maybe the NCAA should reconsider reinstating the Gophers win under the Clem Haskins Gangelhoffer if they are going to put a band aid on UNC.

UNC will get a slap on the wrist despite overwhelming evidence against. The NCAA doesn't mess with the blue bloods but it appears they deserve far more than what USC football got. God I hate what the NCAA represents.

What's your point. Doesn't matter how much it happens. What matters is when it is found, it is stamped out. Just like any other criminal act.

It doesnt matter how much it happens? Oh my.

My point is the thought that the playing field is even in college athletics. It is not. UNC has been scamming for 2 decades. And winning big. And recruiting top players.

If you cant see and acknowledge the facts, you are blind.

All the while the ncaa holds their collective noses for some programs and villifies the rest.

So I am watching UNC today in a bowl game and was wondering if anything is going to be done about the largest cheating scandal in NCAA history...or if the NCAA is really just a front for TV and a total fraud when it comes to the student part of student athlete.

How can they impose a penalty in the future for any transgression that is grade or education related and not get sued for the hypocrisy after not doing a damn thing in this case?

The next 5-star athlete that gets denied access the field over grades should file a $50 million lawsuit against the NCAA swine.

So I am watching UNC today in a bowl game and was wondering if anything is going to be done about the largest cheating scandal in NCAA history...or if the NCAA is really just a front for TV and a total fraud when it comes to the student part of student athlete.

How can they impose a penalty in the future for any transgression that is grade or education related and not get sued for the hypocrisy after not doing a damn thing in this case?

The next 5-star athlete that gets denied access the field over grades should file a $50 million lawsuit against the NCAA swine.

Blame everyone. The NCAA, ACC, schools that continue to play them, media for continuing to cover them, sponsors for letting their ads run during their games. Challenge everything and start a stir. Heck is it possible for fans of teams like the gophers, who received penalties to file a class action lawsuit for the psychological damage done by the penalties to our team? They sure play to the psychological benefits when asking for new stadiums.

Further, how do the UNC classes differ from the prep schools / players that have been deemed ineligible by NCAA.

Maybe the NCAA should reconsider reinstating the Gophers win under the Clem Haskins Gangelhoffer if they are going to put a band aid on UNC.

they'll just add more years onto the Gophers' probation so that we get more hand wringing from some of our more vocal posters

Top Bottom