Football Scoop: Texas will begin paying each of its athletes $10,000 a year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Football Scoop;

Texas will soon begin paying each of its student-athletes $10,000 a year to cover cost of attendance and likeness rights, athletics director Steve Patterson revealed at a Big 12 college sports forum in Washington on Tuesday.

The $10,000 will be split evenly, $5,000 apiece, between cost-of-attendance and payment for the University’s use of the athlete’s name and likeness (the figure U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken set in her O’Bannon trial ruling in August). (Cost-of-attendance, of course, varies from school to school and, thus, no uniform figure has been set since schools gave themselves the ability to provide COA stipends.) The total for all UT athletes adds up to $6 million a year.

http://footballscoop.com/news/texas-will-begin-paying-athletes-10000-year/

Go Gophers!!

This will be very interesting to see how all the schools choose to handle this.

Yikes, we are gonna need some regulation here to preserve what we have left of college football. I can see this getting out of hand.

$5k is peanuts for a star QB's likeness. It's massively overpaying for a cross-country player's likeness as well. Imagine that will get hairy, along with all the other stuff involved with this. Could Jameis hold out for more money if this was in place now? Would FSU cave to his demands?

As a current Austin resident... Looks like the city got the pro team it was looking for after all :rolleyes:

As if UT wasn't already enough of a business separate from the academic institution... I have a feeling this will get ugly down here.

$5k is peanuts for a star QB's likeness. It's massively overpaying for a cross-country player's likeness as well. Imagine that will get hairy, along with all the other stuff involved with this. Could Jameis hold out for more money if this was in place now? Would FSU cave to his demands?

The money the school will make back on said QB's likeness will make them forget they even paid the cross-country kid.

I can see it now:

Kill: We really need you to play for the Gophers! You'd be a great fit in our program!

Recruit: Urban just offered me $60k a year. What can you give me?

Kill: Our Cost of Attendance isn't that high....

Recruit: I am not interested

I can see it now:

Kill: We really need you to play for the Gophers! You'd be a great fit in our program!

Recruit: Urban just offered me $60k a year. What can you give me?

Kill: Our Cost of Attendance isn't that high....

Recruit: I am not interested

Yeah, I don't see the University of Minnesota keeping pace with this destruction of college athletics. But, to be fair, we aren't really able to battle Urban for recruits as it is now so as long as we can keep pace with the Iowas and Wisconsins we'll probably be in roughly the same place we are currently.

Yeah, I don't see the University of Minnesota keeping pace with this destruction of college athletics. But, to be fair, we aren't really able to battle Urban for recruits as it is now so as long as we can keep pace with the Iowas and Wisconsins we'll probably be in roughly the same place we are currently.

Yes, for a lonngggg time I've been trying to wrap my mind about what's likely to happen to Minnesota with these impending developments, possible bidding wars, "professionalization" of major college sports, etc. The best I can guess is that we'll be in about the same place -- not able to recruit with glitz and glamour but having to win with a solid plan in place and good coaches. It's arguable that a lot of schools are already buying players and have for a long time. Some illegally with boosters, others like Oregon with outrageous facilities. Heck, if everything above board maybe we'll have a better chance.

By the way, I don't know if the number was cited precisely as $10,000, but isn't that what the B1G essentially has already committed to doing? We announced we're going to pay for cost of living, and I believe the number $5k was floated for that, and also it's been assumed that the major conferences would pay $5k in accordance with the recommended number in Judge Wilkin's opinion on image rights. So that would equal $10,000.

And it's a great place to be at...

If we are about to spend $190 million on facilities then we better be willing to adapt with the times on these issues too, or the $190 million is a waste of money IMO.

Slightly misleading headline.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yikes, we are gonna need some regulation here to preserve what we have left of college football. I can see this getting out of hand.

Exactly. Schools like Minnesota and similar type schools are already at a recruiting disadvantage in many ways. The Power conferences need to somehow regulate this to avoid all out bidding wars. There needs to be a cap on what a school can pay.

per Football Scoop;

Texas will soon begin paying each of its student-athletes $10,000 a year to cover cost of attendance and likeness rights, athletics director Steve Patterson revealed at a Big 12 college sports forum in Washington on Tuesday.

The $10,000 will be split evenly, $5,000 apiece, between cost-of-attendance and payment for the University’s use of the athlete’s name and likeness (the figure U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken set in her O’Bannon trial ruling in August). (Cost-of-attendance, of course, varies from school to school and, thus, no uniform figure has been set since schools gave themselves the ability to provide COA stipends.) The total for all UT athletes adds up to $6 million a year.

http://footballscoop.com/news/texas-will-begin-paying-athletes-10000-year/

Go Gophers!![/QUOTE

Not true. This is regulated and is not paid directly to a player. It is a trust type of fund where money is available when and if the NCAA decides to allow stipends like there were in past and compensation for those whose likeness is used for profit. We will match everyone else. Its an all or nothing if you want to be in the Power five.

Top Bottom