LIVE NEWS COVERAGE: UNC NEWS CONFERENCE ON INDEPENDENT ACADEMIC FRAUD REPORT

Here's the report: http://advancingrefor.staging.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/UNC-FINAL-REPORT.pdf

There's a ton in there. But some highlights:

Between 1993 and 2011, Crowder and Nyang’oro developed and ran a
“shadow curriculum” within the AFAM Department that provided students
with academically flawed instruction through the offering of “paper classes.”
These were classes that involved no interaction with a faculty member,
required no class attendance or course work other than a single paper, and
resulted in consistently high grades that Crowder awarded without reading
the papers or otherwise evaluating their true quality.

A good number of these student-athletes were “steered” to the AFAM paper
classes by certain academic counselors in ASPSA. This steering was most
prevalent among the counselors for the revenue sports of football and men’s
basketball. While some of these counselors knew only that these were easy
classes, others were fully aware that there was no faculty involvement and
that Crowder was managing the whole course and grading the papers. Those
counselors saw these paper classes as “GPA boosters” and steered players
into them largely in order to help them maintain their GPAs and their
eligibility under the NCAA and Chapel Hill eligibility rules. At least two of
those counselors went so far as to suggest what grades Crowder should
award to their players who were taking her paper classes.

ASPSA made tutors available to all student-athletes, and those tutors often
helped the student-athletes with their paper-class papers. While most
conducted themselves appropriately, several of the tutors crossed the line
between permissible and impermissible assistance and drafted parts of the
papers that the student-athletes submitted for credit in these classes.

Like many universities, the Chapel Hill administration took a loose,
decentralized approach to management of its departments and department
chairpersons, on the theory that strong management in the college
environment unduly constrains the academic independence that fosters
creative instruction and research. As a result of this approach, the University
failed to conduct any meaningful oversight of the AFAM Department and
ASPSA, and Crowder’s paper class scheme was allowed to operate within
one of the nation’s premier academic institutions for almost two decades.

We found no evidence that the higher levels of the University tried in any
way to obscure the facts or the magnitude of this situation. To the extent
there were times of delay or equivocation in their response to this
controversy, we largely attribute that to insufficient appreciation of the scale
of the problem, an understandable lack of experience with this sort of
institutional crisis and some lingering disbelief that such misconduct could
have occurred at Chapel Hill.

How is this not 10 times worse than what happened at Minnesota? I hope they are punished accordingly, and I hope the punishments aren't retracted halfway down the line (*cough* Penn St *cough*).

Hopefully this doesn't affect their women's soccer teams history!

AD

Every time I read about NC, I'm just hoping that Norwood Teague's name is not mentioned.

I hope they death penalty these fools. They won't of course

Some of the unsubstantiated tangents folks on GH tend to go on from "said" topics really can be utterly ridiculous, and frankly confusing as all hell. That is all. Carry on with strangely bringing Norwood Teague into this thread topic. :rolleyes:

Of course, while "admitting" improprieties, the UNC report takes pains to distance and absolve the coaches and top administrators. Shocker. And I don't believe that lack of knowledge for a minute.

But that's where they're going to hang their hat in hoping to get off lightly.

How is this not 10 times worse than what happened at Minnesota? I hope they are punished accordingly, and I hope the punishments aren't retracted halfway down the line (*cough* Penn St *cough*).

Agree 100%.

>>"As a result of this approach, the University
one of the nation’s premier academic institutions for almost two decades. "

From the full report:

A total of 2,152 individual students who enrolled in the paper classes were included in this impact analysis. Of that number, 329 students (including 169 student-athletes) had at least one semester in which the grade they received in their paper class either pushed or kept their GPA above 2.0. In other words, for at least one semester in their college career, each of those students had an actual cumulative GPA above a 2.0 but a recalculated GPA (excluding the paper class grade(s)) below a 2.0. This number includes 123 football players, 15 men’s basketball players, eight women’s basketball players, and 26 Olympic sport athletes. Of that number, we identified 81 students who earned degrees from Chapel Hill whose recalculated final GPA excluding the grade(s) from their paper class or classes was less than the 2.0 required to graduate.

If I were a UNC grad that legitimately graduated I would be livid.

Agree 100%.

>>"As a result of this approach, the University
one of the nation’s premier academic institutions for almost two decades. "

That is "lack of institutional control", right?

Some of the unsubstantiated tangents folks on GH tend to go on from "said" topics really can be utterly ridiculous, and frankly confusing as all hell. That is all. Carry on with strangely bringing Norwood Teague into this thread topic. :rolleyes:
Speaking of strangely bringing up things... What the hell is this?

Academic scandal in a sporting department that our current head of athletics was employed by at the time of said scandal is a completely valid concern and 100% relevant to the conversation.

That is all :rolleyes:

I went to a thread on the North Carolina Rivals basketball board about this and they seem to think Roy Williams and the basketball program are gonna get through this unscathed, but that the football program, which I believe is already under sanctions of some sort, might be punished further.

https://northcarolina.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=941&fid=1235&style=2&tid=175730217&Page=1

Also it seems Wren has been posting on the North Carolina board under the name keysersosay#1. Here he is arguing with a Kentucky fan.

To answer the ? re the NCAA at this point no one knows . Many feel the football program will get hit with additional sanctions /punishments etc We shall see

BUT really the ONLY thing YOU care about is BBALL That is ALL anyone from your "school" cares about and THE only thing you WANT is banners coming down ,sanctions against Carolina BASKETBALL etc

THAT is all you WANT and sadly you are gonna be disappointed. In FACT Roy and the basketball program emerge from all of this a clear WINNER as HE stopped the nonsense and refused to allow it to continue

Now WHEN exactly is ANYONE at your "school" like a FOLT like president or chancellor or someone who looks beyond the "Cats" and actually sees the corruption that has been rampant for years with you guys

Oh wait I am sorry we ALL know who RUNS that "school" and he resides in the basketball office.

Speaking of strangely bringing up things... What the hell is this?

Academic scandal in a sporting department that our current head of athletics was employed by at the time of said scandal is a completely valid concern and 100% relevant to the conversation.

That is all :rolleyes:

One would think Robert Mercer (see responsibilities listed below) would bring up more concerns than Norwood Teague (see responsibilities listed below). Mercer was moved to a different position at UNC.

Chancellor ..........................................................................Dr. James Moeser
Faculty Representative ..............................................................Jack Evans
Director of Athletics ....................................................................Dick Baddour
Senior Associate Athletic Director ..................................................Larry Gallo
Senior Associate A.D. (Olympic Sports) ..................................Dr. Beth Miller
Senior Associate A.D. (Operations & Facilities)........................Willie Scroggs
Senior Associate A.D. (Business and Finance) ........................Martina Ballen
Senior Associate A.D. (Student-Athlete Services)..................John Blanchard
Associate A.D. (Marketing and Promotions) ........................Norwood Teague
Associate A.D. (Communications)..........................................Steve Kirschner
Educational Foundation President......................................John Montgomery
Director of the Academic Support Program..............................Robert Mercer
Director of Sports Medicine ..........................................................Dr. Tim Taft
Coordinator of Athletic Training ..............................................Dr. Dan Hooker
Assistant A.D (Football and Olympic Sports Operations) ............Ellen Culler
Assistant A.D. (Tickets and Dean E. Smith Center) ................Clint Gwaltney
Director of Strength and Conditioning for Olympic Sports..............Greg Gatz

Cayman, are you suggesting that a GH POSTER named keyser "something" is really wren in disguise?

That is "lack of institutional control", right?

Ya, but watching NBC national news tonight makes me think the bastards are going to skate on this. Not a lot of outrage and UNC has its barriers in place. All sorts of people are very surprised by this and had, gasp, gasp, no idea. Damn it, we're basically too honest to even cheat properly.

I like this part (no. of men's basketball players enrolled in AFAM non-lecture classes):

c. Men’s Basketball Personnel
Chapel Hill had four different head men’s basketball coaches during the period in which the
AFAM paper courses were offered. During the Dean Smith era (1961-1997), there were 54
basketball player enrollments in AFAM independent studies.137 In the three years of Coach Bill
Guthridge’s tenure (1997-2000), there were 17 basketball enrollments in paper classes. There were
42 enrollments in paper classes under Coach Matt Doherty (2000-2003) and 167 under Coach Roy
Williams (2003-present)
We were unable to interview Coaches Dean Smith and Bill Guthridge because of health
issues, but were able to speak about the paper classes with Coaches Doherty and Williams.

Ya, but watching NBC national news tonight makes me think the bastards are going to skate on this. Not a lot of outrage and UNC has its barriers in place. All sorts of people are very surprised by this and had, gasp, gasp, no idea. Damn it, we're basically too honest to even cheat properly.
I thought it was good that NBC News was calling it the worst academic scandal in athletics.

I thought it was good that NBC News was calling it the worst academic scandal in athletics.

I bet there punishment won't be as severe as what we received either.

Stewart Mandell has an excellent article on fox sports. Compared our scandal to current mess at UNC.

After reading that article, how UNC would not get a more severe penalty than we got is beyond me.

That article made me think they won't get too severe of a penalty. The NCAA really dragged their feet on the scandal and didn't want anything to do with it until the Wainstein investigation forced their hand.

Top Bottom