Michigan Football culture and Devin Gardner receiving rascist messages

Did we expect anything different from Detroit?

I would guess the source to be suburban Detroit and outstate Michigan, if I had to guess.

The source is just stupid people who take a game, yes an expensive game, too seriously. I have heard racist things here in Minnesota about various athletic coaches/players over the years. You don't hear too much when teams are winning but once a team stops winning the hate comes out.

Let's not get too holy. Tribune comments section use to have some pretty nasty comments about Gopher athletes if they had a problem. N-word was never in them, but you damn well knew the people commenting would use it.

Let's not get too holy. Tribune comments section use to have some pretty nasty comments about Gopher athletes if they had a problem. N-word was never in them, but you damn well knew the people commenting would use it.

Exactly. There are plenty of racists everywhere, including in holier-than-thou Minnesota.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say that racism does not exist outside of Michigan. I just think it's awful that it still exists.

Sorry, but my tendency is to think this didn't happen. When a "famous", sheltered athlete throws these things out when stuff is going badly, my "bullsh!t-dar" goes off. Might be true, which would be sad. Might not.

Let's not get too holy. Tribune comments section use to have some pretty. asty comments about Gopher athletes if they had a problem. N-word was never in them, but you damn well knew the people commenting would use it.

I have decided I do not have enough spare IQ points to lose by reading Star Tribune comments.

I have decided I do not have enough spare IQ points to lose by reading Star Tribune comments.

I'm sure you have plenty to spare, but if you're interested in striving to save even more, I suggest avoiding clicking on the sTrib in the first place. lol

Exactly. There are plenty of racists everywhere, including in holier-than-thou Minnesota.

Just go to the OT and you can read their comments... :eek:

From all accounts, Devin Gardner is a stand up guy who is under the microscope in position where one gets too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. You gotta wonder if he ever just wishes he'd stayed at the wide receiver position and told Hoke to stick with someone else at the QB position. It's too bad that people take a game so seriously.

"I've been called the N-word so many times this year," Gardner said. "One guy told me I was the N-word, and said I know N-words can't play quarterback. And I was like, are we not past this? Say what you want about my skill, but come on."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...higans-devin-gardner- beaten-broken/17644187/

if this is true, it makes me sick. call me a communist, marxist or whatever, but anyone who does this should be tracked down and prosecuted for a hate crime. forget jail, just force him or her to walk around wearing a badge that says "racist" and require him to disclose this any time he applies for a job. if he fails to obey, make him wear an ankle bracelet monitor his whole life.

if this is true, it makes me sick. call me a communist, marxist or whatever, but anyone who does this should be tracked down and prosecuted for a hate crime. forget jail, just force him or her to walk around wearing a badge that says "racist" and require him to disclose this any time he applies for a job. if he fails to obey, make him wear an ankle bracelet monitor his whole life.
Hate crime? Not one law was broken and policing people's speech is not the way to go regardless of how disgusting the comments are.

Anonymous people full of hate and pissed-off about their team sending vicious hateful diatribes? That's not new.

Good friend was in the Administration at the U when Clem was Coach. Before the Gangelhoff stuff hit. He said that you wouldn't believe the vile, racist hate mail that both Haskins and Dungy got. He read some of the stuff Clem received and said it was full of the N-word and some had death threats against both Haskins and his family.

Think that back then the Strib did a story on those guys and Dennis Green getting a lot of that stuff. People were surprised that Dungy and Haskins got it too. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom