Sports Illustrated: Jerry Kill would be a wonderful fit in Ann Arbor

I mean, what is he supposed to say? If Kill leaves, and if it ever happens I doubt it is this year barring a 7+ B1G record and CCG victory, it will be suddenly and under the cover of night just like he arrived.

No that was Irsay getting out of Baltimore and Brett Bielema getting out of Madison.

Actually, there boards have been saying over and over they don't need a "Michigan Man". They said that's what keeps getting them in trouble. They want a big time recruiter that can surround himself with people that can coach. The question here is whether Michigan is a big enough dog to steal a solid SEC coach now-a-days.

Well...there's an ACC coach (former SEC coach) who's the TE coach at Florida State. He's a big time recruiter who can surround himself with... :cool:

Haha, that's what my U College of Science & Engineering education brings to the table! But back to killme's position that there is 'no ceiling', I disagree. There is always a ceiling. The highest being that of an Alabama-type program (in the legitimate hunt for a National title every year). If you can break thru that ceiling, let me know.

When Kill got to the U, I was excited to have a proven commodity in place that could turn programs around. I wasn't necessarily hopeful that Kill would ultimately do any better than getting us to where Mason had us during his peak years. Based on last season, and now this one, I'm attempting to recalibrate my expectations on where Kill's ceiling is. 2 more Big Ten wins, and Kill has us at basically the peak of what the Mason years brought (5-3 in conference), and in half the time. I'm not sure where it is yet, but the month of November will do a lot to help me figure it out in my own mind.

I'm better now. The thing I love about football is the weekly anticipation and hope. The most fun is getting things going and having a "sky is the limit" optimism. I'm the type to encourage fans to dream big and appreciate the moment. I'm hoping you have to put that degree to use in your recalibration and your vocabulary to try to describe how it feels. Sure, there's a chance of it crashing. With almost everyone expecting us to come back to earth in November, I'm able to remain very optimistic since the gap in our last two B1G losses seemed pretty small, and the continual progress I've been witnessing with this team.

who was the last U of M coach that got a D1 HC job AFTER MN

I cannot recall the last U of M coach who left his gopher job for another D1 HC job.

I cannot recall the last U of M coach who left his gopher job for another D1 HC job.

Do you mean voluntarily or involuntarily? If involuntarily, it was Tubby Smith after the 2012-13 season. If voluntarily, it was Lou Holtz after the 1985 season.

Mark Rosen just brought this up on Kill's radio show. I'm paraphrasing, but Kill's comments were along the lines of "first of all Brady is my friend, second of all that lady (Rebecca) is in charge, and I've said all along this is my home as long as people want me."

I think the point of this thread was about the possibility Michigan would be interested in JK. And, I don't think it's far-fetched. I doubt he's going to leave, but it's good for him to be recognized, and great publicity for the Gophers to have folks talking about him as a candidate for what most feel are those handful of programs that could provide a better opportunity to win.

The fact that it's theoretically possible we could be 12-1, along with TCU, and not get in the playoff. Not because we're not good enough, but because we are totally off the radar in preseason due to perception of the Gopher program and the B1G. That Mississippi State can go from unranked to No. 1 is hard to believe. I wonder where we'd be ranked at 7-0.

lloyd-carr.jpg

JK made a point to go over to Lloyd Carr before the game three weeks ago. During the game, Michigan took time to raise awareness of Carr's grandson's cancer and Kill commented on it in his post-game presser.

Attachments

• lloyd-carr.jpg
    lloyd-carr.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 9

Do you mean voluntarily or involuntarily? If involuntarily, it was Tubby Smith after the 2012-13 season. If voluntarily, it was Lou Holtz after the 1985 season.
forgot Lou Holtz.

that answers that.

Top Bottom