Sports Illustrated: Jerry Kill would be a wonderful fit in Ann Arbor

First, I am not the smartest man around, but this seems kind of hypocritical. If the college football world is so flat and with television money can't Jerry build a winner in Minnesota? The way I read the article is that Mullen might not leave because of the parity in NCAA football he can build a winner at Mississippi State, but then they make it seem like Jerry Kill should jump ship...

That isn't what the article said at all. It said Mullen might not be interested, as you correctly surmised. All it said on JK was that Michigan should be interested in him. Granted, I'm sure the author assumed he'd then be interested in them, but that is no given either. And all that said, we're more likely to lose JK to NDSU then Michigan. No way they take him from another Big Ten team. They want big name, big recruiter guy. Maybe they fire the AD and offer Jim Harbaugh 8 million a year or something. That would be the smart move. I don't think he'd go there either though.

I think it's fair to say that Rebecca wouldn't want to leave, but if Jerry continues to be successful here and has 2-3 more years of really strong health I wouldn't be surprised to see big programs come knocking and for Jerry to jump on an opportunity.

That being said, if I were a gambling man (which I am) and had to pick whether this is Kill's last job I would say yes.

Sid says you're wrong. Her name is Rachel!!!!!!

Lets see, when is a good time to quit your job.

After taking a dumpster fire and elevating it back to respectability, getting a big raise and extension and ensuring your staff is a top paid group, shortly before breaking ground on new practice facility that will bring you to competitiveness, just before new TV contract kicks in that will increase your likely pay for doing the job you've been doing by $1 mil or more per year in the next couple of years.

This is Kills 3rd turn around project in 10 years. He isn't going to look for a 4th. He isn't going anywhere, will retire as one of the most beloved coaches in the history of MN football and we will, at some point, be naming something important after him.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done!

Joel Maturi is already working on the statue in his basement, though trying to alter the Tubby statue to look like Kill is proving more difficult than expected.

Jim Harbaugh will be the next Michigan coach. It looks extremely unlikely he will be the 49er coach next year.

TCF=UnitedWeStand;957567[B said:
]The compensation is one thing, but he'll get that anywhere.[/B] I was referring more to the fact the UMN has been beyond supportive of him and his condition, made special accommodations for him, encouraged him to use his position as a platform for epilepsy awareness, etc. Lots of people were calling for him to step down/be fired - both locally, and nationally - and the UMN did the opposite. That should be worth something to him and his family.

I think Kill realizes this, and thus I don't see him leaving here for another college job - ever.

I agree about the compensation, even will go as far as to say a school with more financial resources that UMN would throw a larger number at him given the magnitude of his accomplishments.

As far as UMN supporting him, I have a hard time with being too proud about doing the right thing. Sure, it's a good feeling, but for me it's not even worth mentioning in the context of something UMN has done that is over and above what ANY other place would do. The only real action of note would be to not support him under those circumstances. As for those calling for him to step down "locally and nationally," I can only think of one example and that man has been vilified.

This talk all seems a bit premature with the toughest part of the Gophers schedule still in front of them. Still, I don't think Kill is in any hurry to leave, not the way the fans and the U have rallied behind him, at least not unless he gets some insane money thrown at him. Michigan would be a horrible fit too.

The rallying behind Jerry has been heart-warming, but I think you should consider people cried everywhere he has left, and the rallying is a given.

"Under compensated"? Game or two over .500 isn't exactly Woody Hayes and Nick Saban territory now is it? 20 or 30 million enough for you?

Yeah, it appears you are campaigning to get him out of here but that's okay. You've never even set foot on campus, have done nothing but downgrade the kids and rip everything about the program up until Kill got here. Strike that, you've ripped it then too. Every loss is because of those damn players and now you throw-in that someone is holding Kill's hand "behind his back"? It's okay, you've made it clear that your a Kill supporter period. To hell with Minnesota.

Just didn't think you'd be so forthright with your desire to get Kill and Company out of here. Guess it's good you finally laid your cards on the table.

I like Kill, and hope he'll succeed with taking the Gophers back to prominence.

You _____ Kill and hope he gets out of here as soon as he can.

As trolls go, at least you're unique.

Lol. Speaking of trolling... Why did you go back to $ when I just stated it's not about that. And I don't recall ripping Minnesota, just making observations, mostly reached from those of you here who have taught me the history and the state of the facilities. JK and his staff aren't infallible, nor are the players. I'm sorry if my comments have led you to believe I think that. And, finally, taking my comments to suggest he needs to bolt for AA or any other place is such a stretch since they were intended to explore the reasonability for such a move. I would be surprised if JK leaves Minneapolis, surprised if Claeys left for a HC gig, but also give them credit for at least listening to offers that are in their best interests to consider. I think it behooves both sides to try to do anything possible for him to stay.

My campaign has been to encourage the Gopher fan base to embrace the blessing of all the aspects of what they have in JK, staff and family. And, I have enjoyed watching most folks embrace him.

I don't want to get into the ESPN bias, but you brought it up. Obviously, TAM is a top 10 team and only by beating such a team can a team go from unranked to top ten. Later, the world finds out that A&M isn't all that after giving up a nifty 50+ to a Bama team that is not Bama of a few years ago. The SEC is overrated because, yes for the past few years they have had the best team or teams on the top end, but the teams in conference are not universally better. How could Mizo, a mid pack 12 team walk in to the SEC and win? Oh yah, mystically they became better because they joined the SEC. The hogs are an average team in an above average conference with a below average coach. Doesn't mean they suck, but it doesn't mean they are really any good

When the top third of your conference is the best this country has seen (the last 5 or so years), the middle and bottom of the conference is going to get roughed up.

You can have all the stats in the world prove me wrong but the fact that Auburn can make an argument for being #4 in the country while being #4 in their conference is something no other conference will ever be able to say.

Is the SEC full of 12 top 30 teams? No, but they are still darn good. LSU is terrible by their standards this year and they would beat 3/4 of the B1G by 2 touchdowns. A similar thing can probably be said about A&M. Bowl wins are contributing to the media love, and the SEC has spanked whoever comes in there way in bowl games (7-3 last year, and a .630 winning percentage in BCS Bowls)

P.S. Your Missouri argument is just dumb. They beat top 15 Oklahoma State by double digits in their bowl game. What else did you want them to prove?

I agree about the compensation, even will go as far as to say a school with more financial resources that UMN would throw a larger number at him given the magnitude of his accomplishments.

As far as UMN supporting him, I have a hard time with being too proud about doing the right thing. Sure, it's a good feeling, but for me it's not even worth mentioning in the context of something UMN has done that is over and above what ANY other place would do. The only real action of note would be to not support him under those circumstances. As for those calling for him to step down "locally and nationally," I can only think of one example and that man has been vilified.

I wasn't just referring to the media (see Kill quotes regarding emails he received).

My point is that I feel Kill owes the same level of loyalty to the UMN that the UMN has afforded him. Yes, the UMN did the right thing. Should other college opportunities present themselves to Jerry, I think he too should and will "do the right thing" and stay.

I wasn't just referring to the media (see Kill quotes regarding emails he received).

My point is that I feel Kill owes the same level of loyalty to the UMN that the UMN has afforded him. Yes, the UMN did the right thing. Should other college opportunities present themselves to Jerry, I think he too should and will "do the right thing" and stay.

Point taken about emails. Jerry is as loyal as they come. But, as bad as it may make you feel, UMN as an entity likely falls on the list behind his family, coaches, and even his players. In my book that is the right order of priority. Not to worry, TCU-UWS, there are games to be won, and his priority, I'm certain, is completely focused on that.

When the top third of your conference is the best this country has seen (the last 5 or so years), the middle and bottom of the conference is going to get roughed up.

You can have all the stats in the world prove me wrong but the fact that Auburn can make an argument for being #4 in the country while being #4 in their conference is something no other conference will ever be able to say.

Is the SEC full of 12 top 30 teams? No, but they are still darn good. LSU is terrible by their standards this year and they would beat 3/4 of the B1G by 2 touchdowns. A similar thing can probably be said about A&M. Bowl wins are contributing to the media love, and the SEC has spanked whoever comes in there way in bowl games (7-3 last year, and a .630 winning percentage in BCS Bowls)

P.S. Your Missouri argument is just dumb. They beat top 15 Oklahoma State by double digits in their bowl game. What else did you want them to prove?

I thought you were talking about the current year with Mizzou.

Lol. Speaking of trolling... Why did you go back to $ when I just stated it's not about that. ..

killme:"that by the numbers you presented, he's undercompensated. "

That doesn't sound like it's "not about the money"? :confused:

Though, all in all, it does seem like you think Jerry should be worshipped not respected. Hope Jerry stays even if it means putting up with you. :eek:

Which leads me to a real question of interest, at what point does our improvement start to asymptotically level off?

No way to tell since Jerry has always left his improved programs after building them up....

Orange Bowl sounds good. I'll take Orange Bowl.

No doubt. But we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking Jerry is currently at his last stop. Past history indicates otherwise. He leaves programs after fixing them.

I don't see the point in worrying too much though. Just enjoy the ride, hope he stays, but know he'll be leaving us in great shape if he continues climbing up the coaching ladder.

No doubt. But we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking Jerry is currently at his last stop. Past history indicates otherwise. He leaves programs after fixing them.

I don't see the point in worrying too much though. Just enjoy the ride, hope he stays, but know he'll be leaving us in great shape if he continues climbing up the coaching ladder.

Yes, but those were always for a program with a higher ceiling. This program is at the top level of college football. There is no ceiling. If Minnesota is willing to invest, he can have it as good here as he can anywhere else. The only higher ceiling would be the NFL, and that's not going to happen.

You're right - I don't see the point in all of the hand-wringing.

This program is at the top level of college football.

I love your optimism but there are bigger fish than us in the college football world. Could Kill build us into the replacement for Michigan? Perhaps, but that would take years and influences beyond Kill's reach.

The disparity in terms of helmet programs and everybody else is pronounced. While matching or beating a helmet school's record every so often can and has been done, it's quite another task to build a program up to the same multimillion-dollar,-80k-plus-seat-stadium-institutions we see in Nebraska/tOSU/Mich etc.

Maybe Kill stays and builds a juggernaut, but his past actions climbing up the coaching ladder suggest otherwise. If he does leave though, just make sure we don't hire another Brewster. When's the last time our program has hired two good coaches in a row ....?

Agree with those who say Kill wouldn't be a fit in Ann Arbor.

Not that Kill doesn't have an ego, all major college coaches do, but Michigan would be about the last place for which I'd call him a "fit". Michigan is the textbook definition of "I'm/We're better than you" arrogance. Arrogance is the last thing I think of when I think of Kill. Just don't see a good ole' country boy like Kill (certainly how he's portrayed) fitting the Michigan culture.

And that hasn't happened for 30 years here.

That's true isn't it? People roll players who leave into coaches and forget that coaches/managers are going retire or get fired not just leave.

Thanks for the reminder.

I keep looking at the title of this thread and just shake my head. Has anyone gone to the Michigan discussion boards and read what their fans are complaining about? I would bet that most of their fans would view Jerry Kill as a poor man's version of Brady Hoke and would scream out in horror if Kill were even considered for the job. (It would not be unlike the horrified responses that were on this board when Maturi announced Kill as the new coach of the Gophers...but the cries would be much, much louder and amplified.) Unless the UM administration is just masochistic and looking to be burned alive, there is no way that UM looks to hire Jerry Kill. Biggest reason...he's not a "Michigan Man."

Best part about that is the Gophers will keep a great coach here in Minnesota.

Man, that is just tremendous usage!

Haha, that's what my U College of Science & Engineering education brings to the table! But back to killme's position that there is 'no ceiling', I disagree. There is always a ceiling. The highest being that of an Alabama-type program (in the legitimate hunt for a National title every year). If you can break thru that ceiling, let me know.

When Kill got to the U, I was excited to have a proven commodity in place that could turn programs around. I wasn't necessarily hopeful that Kill would ultimately do any better than getting us to where Mason had us during his peak years. Based on last season, and now this one, I'm attempting to recalibrate my expectations on where Kill's ceiling is. 2 more Big Ten wins, and Kill has us at basically the peak of what the Mason years brought (5-3 in conference), and in half the time. I'm not sure where it is yet, but the month of November will do a lot to help me figure it out in my own mind.

Mark Rosen just brought this up on Kill's radio show. I'm paraphrasing, but Kill's comments were along the lines of "first of all Brady is my friend, second of all that lady (Rebecca) is in charge, and I've said all along this is my home as long as people want me."

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I mean, what is he supposed to say? If Kill leaves, and if it ever happens I doubt it is this year barring a 7+ B1G record and CCG victory, it will be suddenly and under the cover of night just like he arrived.

I keep looking at the title of this thread and just shake my head. Has anyone gone to the Michigan discussion boards and read what their fans are complaining about? I would bet that most of their fans would view Jerry Kill as a poor man's version of Brady Hoke and would scream out in horror if Kill were even considered for the job. (It would not be unlike the horrified responses that were on this board when Maturi announced Kill as the new coach of the Gophers...but the cries would be much, much louder and amplified.) Unless the UM administration is just masochistic and looking to be burned alive, there is no way that UM looks to hire Jerry Kill. Biggest reason...he's not a "Michigan Man."

Best part about that is the Gophers will keep a great coach here in Minnesota.

Actually, there boards have been saying over and over they don't need a "Michigan Man". They said that's what keeps getting them in trouble. They want a big time recruiter that can surround himself with people that can coach. The question here is whether Michigan is a big enough dog to steal a solid SEC coach now-a-days.

Top Bottom