Sports Illustrated: Jerry Kill would be a wonderful fit in Ann Arbor

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

Mullen will be atop Michigan’s list, but don’t rule out him staying in Starkville. The college football world is flatter than it used to be thanks to television money, as a program like Mississippi State wouldn’t have been able to vault to No. 1 a decade ago. There’s more stability, better leadership and snazzier facilities in Starkville than in Ann Arbor. (Quick, someone get the Michigan Men smelling salts). Mullen is happy with what he’s built there, and the SEC television money will allow Mississippi State to increase his $3 million-a-year salary. History says Mullen should leave, as there’s a century worth of data that would nudge him to a higher-profile job. But there is also a chance he stays, which could encourage star quarterback Dak Prescott to return for his senior year.

The other logical Michigan candidate is former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, who turned down the job in 2007 and was fired in Tampa Bay last year. Pete Carroll, Nick Saban and Jim Mora Jr. are all proof that NFL failures aren’t accurate indicators of collegiate success. Schiano’s sterling academic record and power football roots could be attractive.

Jerry Kill would be a wonderful fit in Ann Arbor, as all he’s done is win at Southern Illinois, Northern Illinois and now Minnesota. Kill’s epilepsy, which caused him to miss a handful of weeks during the 2013 season, could hurt his candidacy.

After that, there are not a lot of obvious names. One wildcard scenario is that Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long takes the AD job if it opens and brings Bret Bielema with him. Other AD candidates could include UConn’s Warde Manuel and Boston College’s Brad Bates.

http://www.si.com/college-football/...shchamp-michigan-brady-hoke-coaching-carousel

Go Gophers!!

I don't think Kill would fit the Michigan culture, and frankly, I think he needs a bowl win before better jobs start calling.

Although it would be fun to see what Jerry can do with a ton of 4* recruits, I'd rather see him do it here.

Bielema?

Must be that 0-12 SEC record that would make The Big Dufus a strong candidate for Michigan? Though I must confess, Bielema has the requisite arrogance for the UM job.

Send Michigan the Souhan article..:D

Pete Thamel is a good basketball writer, but his football articles are generally pretty terrible. There are so many things wrong with this that I don't know where to begin. For the scope of this message board, all I'll say is that Jerry Kill is a terrible fit for Michigan, and Michigan is a terrible fit for Jerry Kill.

Life as a MN fan is tough. Either the coach should be fired or the coach is about to fire us.

Good fit or no (I tend to agree with the sentiment here that Kill would not be the best fit for Michigan's arrogant football culture), I think we'd better get used to reading these types of articles and columns. As long as Kill continues to keep the Gopher football program on an upward trajectory, he's going to be desirable for coaching openings.

Which leads me to a real question of interest, at what point does our improvement start to asymptotically level off? We've made pretty good linear progress since Kill's first season, when does what he's built approach a consistent plateau? 7-8 win seasons? 9-10 win seasons? Higher? Will we regress? Projecting this is probably what any school looking to lure him away will attempt to do, while factoring in what they perceive their program needs to be.

Bielema?

Must be that 0-12 SEC record that would make The Big Dufus a strong candidate for Michigan? Though I must confess, Bielema has the requisite arrogance for the UM job.

0-12 in the toughest league in America. Average margin of loss is 17.75 pts per game. Kill was 3-9 in first 12 games and lost those 9 games by 23.88 pts.

In 12 SEC games, Arkansas has played only two unranked teams. Those were Ole Miss and Miss St. last year. They lost those games by 10 and 7(OT).
Kill has face 9 total ranked teams in 3.5 years. None ranked higher than 11 at the time of game. (We're 1-8 in those games)

I don't know if a Brick-by-Brick approach would go over as well with Michigan fans.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Good fit or no (I tend to agree with the sentiment here that Kill would not be the best fit for Michigan's arrogant football culture), I think we'd better get used to reading these types of articles and columns. As long as Kill continues to keep the Gopher football program on an upward trajectory, he's going to be desirable for coaching openings.

Which leads me to a real question of interest, at what point does our improvement start to asymptotically level off? We've made pretty good linear progress since Kill's first season, when does what he's built approach a consistent plateau? 7-8 win seasons? 9-10 win seasons? Higher? Will we regress? Projecting this is probably what any school looking to lure him away will attempt to do, while factoring in what they perceive their program needs to be.

National Champions or bust? :cool:

I don't know if a Brick-by-Brick approach would go over as well with Michigan fans.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Rodent, you are right. At Michigan they need stud by stud approach. All they need is a coach who is also a building contractor.

0-12 in the toughest league in America. Average margin of loss is 17.75 pts per game. Kill was 3-9 in first 12 games and lost those 9 games by 23.88 pts.

In 12 SEC games, Arkansas has played only two unranked teams. Those were Ole Miss and Miss St. last year. They lost those games by 10 and 7(OT).
Kill has face 9 total ranked teams in 3.5 years. None ranked higher than 11 at the time of game. (We're 1-8 in those games)

Don't get us started on the SEC bias, was A&M really a top 10 team...

Can't compare. Pretty sure Arkansas had more talent when he got there, unlike here, plus Arkansas can recruit itself much better than Minnesota can, regardless of who is coaching there.

Bert is a dip**** and his dogs are ugly. I think he has one more year in Arkansas to turn it around.

Did I make a reference to Kill anywhere?

SEC best conference? Yes.

Losing by 17.75 ppg something to hang your hat on? No.

Being 0-12 in your first 12 conference games, no matter the conference, makes you a candidate for the Michigan job? Don't think so.

Being 0-12 in your first 12 conference games, no matter the conference, makes you a candidate for the Michigan job? Don't think so.

I hope Michigan goes after Butthead. :cool02:

unranked when they played them, or unranked at the end of the season?

I would love to see the Sweater Vest get the Michigan job. Great on sooo many levels.

Lets see, when is a good time to quit your job.

After taking a dumpster fire and elevating it back to respectability, getting a big raise and extension and ensuring your staff is a top paid group, shortly before breaking ground on new practice facility that will bring you to competitiveness, just before new TV contract kicks in that will increase your likely pay for doing the job you've been doing by $1 mil or more per year in the next couple of years.

This is Kills 3rd turn around project in 10 years. He isn't going to look for a 4th. He isn't going anywhere, will retire as one of the most beloved coaches in the history of MN football and we will, at some point, be naming something important after him.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done!

3 rose bowls in the same conference might though.

Lets see, when is a good time to quit your job.

After taking a dumpster fire and elevating it back to respectability, getting a big raise and extension and ensuring your staff is a top paid group, shortly before breaking ground on new practice facility that will bring you to competitiveness, just before new TV contract kicks in that will increase your likely pay for doing the job you've been doing by $1 mil or more per year in the next couple of years.

This is Kills 3rd turn around project in 10 years. He isn't going to look for a 4th. He isn't going anywhere, will retire as one of the most beloved coaches in the history of MN football and we will, at some point, be naming something important after him.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done!

Let's name the hot dogs at the bank after him. It's what he would want.

O.k., belly laugh is over. Personally I don't think Kill goes anywhere else. But just for fun, what's your list of possibilities? (This is regardless of current coach's tenure, NFL, scandal, etc.. can change things quickly). I don't see him going to the Pac12, just doesn't seem like the right fit. Nor the deep South, but not as strongly.
Which leaves:
Oklahoma -if Stoops to NFL
Mizzou - if open for any reason
Kansas State - old guy won't last forever and in Kill's old neighborhood, but seems kinda too lateral a move
Oklahoma State - seems too lateral but in his old area
Penn State - I hope current guy stays there because I think they would come calling
Michigan State - their guy seems a lifer

lunch over, seeya

Top Bottom