Media predictions for Illinois game

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Begrudgingly we start with CFN (whose coverage has tanked in the last 5-10 years, IMO). Still:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1471680.html

Minnesota (6-1) at Illinois (3-4) Oct. 25, 12:00, ESPN2

Here's The Deal: Really, is Minnesota in the Big Ten West race? At 6-1 overall – with the one loss to TCU not looking so bad now – the Gophers are playing well with a rim-rocking win over Michigan, a fun battle against Northwestern, and a 39-38 war of attrition against Purdue that tested the team’s mettle. It’s going to get bad fast with Iowa, Ohio State, Nebraska and Wisconsin to close out November, but they’re already bowl eligible and a ten-win year wouldn’t be that crazy if the running game keeps working.

Illinois is treading water until it can find a new head coach, losing three straight including a home gaffe to the same Purdue team Minnesota just beat. The offense has some pop, but the defense has been hit hard giving up 34 points or more in every FBS game. With a road trip to Ohio State up next, the Illini have to pull this off or risk a really, really bad losing streak.

Why Minnesota Might Win: Nebraska ran for 458 yards and five touchdowns, Purdue ran for 349 yards and four scores, and Wisconsin ran for 401 yards and five yards – welcome to the last three Illinois games. The run defense has been non-existent in Big Ten play, and it didn’t show up against Washington, either, getting rolled for 245 yards and two scores. Minnesota hasn’t been Nebraska/Wisconsin dominant with its run first/run only offense, but it hit the 200-yard mark in three of the last four games. It’s more of an effective, plodding running attack than a flashy one, but it’s effective. Minnesota could simply hang on to the ball for 40 minutes and run its way to a win.

Why Illinois Might Win: The Minnesota offense showed fight against Northwestern, and a spark against Illinois, but the defense couldn’t stop getting ripped up last week by Purdue. Raheem Mostert averaged 23 yards per carry on his five tries, and there were big problems in the first half allowing 31 points. The Gophers tightened up considerably in the second half, but the blueprint was there. Find a way to give a good back a crease, and he’ll make the most of it. Illinois likes to throw the ball with its efficient downfield attack, but with QB Wes Lunt still out injured, that means …

Who To Watch Out For: Josh Ferguson and Donovonn Young have to become major factors for the Illini. Ferguson leads the team with 470 yards and five scores, but 190 of his yards came against Texas State. He’s more of a speedster, while Young has more thump. The problem is that he hasn’t been used much with just six yards on three carries last week. These two have to take the pressure off of QB Riley O’Toole, a veteran who completed 12-of-19 passes against the Badgers with two touchdowns, but he only threw for 98 yards.

What’s Going To Happen: Minnesota is finding a way to answer every challenge. Illinois will push the ball a bit on some early drives, but the supremely confident Gophers and Daniel Cobb with pound their way to an aesthetically unpleasing win.

Prediction: Minnesota 38 … Illinois 27
Line: Minnesota -6.5 o/u: 57
Must Watch Factor: 5: Dumb and Dumber To – 1: Manhattan Love Story … 2

I hope we'll be far enough ahead at the half that Daniel Cobb can come out of the game and Kirkland can finish it up.

Yes, I hope the coaching staff takes a little off of Daniel's plate this week and we see a heavy dose of Roderick, Kirkwood, and Edwards.

Daniel Cobb with 178 yards and 2 TDs. Roadrick with some nice runs, Kirkland with a long, first down run, and Berkshire Edwoods with a few jet sweeps to keep them off balance.

Daniel Cobb is living the good life in Atlanta. Here's a mug:

Daniel-Cobb__818047.jpg

He looks like he'll shred the D. For real!

The Minnesota offense showed fight against Northwestern, and a spark against Illinois,

Apparently we've already played Illinois this season...

Does anyone proofread at CFN?

Antonio Thompson snubbed again. That guy just not getting enough respect for his stellar play this year.

Antonio Thompson snubbed again. That guy just not getting enough respect for his stellar play this year.

+1. Also, I believe this is the game where Daniel Cobb will really break out. But lets not count out the value of Roderick Wilhelms, our big 240+ lb bruiser in a game like this.

This guy thinks that Dumb and Dumber To is a 5/5 on a must-watch scale.

Abandon ship.

Illinois will be up for this one and should be tough in the first half. You can run against them and that should seal the deal, but don't be surprised if they are out front early, 7-0, 14-7 - something like that.

"Daniel Cobb was a man. Yes, a biiiiiiiiiig man!"

Mick Leinenkugel could have a big game passing for the Gophers.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/109629/big-ten-week-9-predictions

Unanimous selections

Minnesota 31, Illinois 20: The Big Ten's worst run defense will get a heavy dose of David Cobb, the nation's carries leader (189) and No. 4 rusher (1,013). Like Purdue, Illinois will try to attack Minnesota with its speed and will have some success, but Minnesota remains perfect in league play.

I look for our star TE Maximus Williamson to make some big plays in the passing game.

Gash Illinois with the run game, control the clock to keep their speed off the field, and throw in the PA pass to keep the D honest. I think our D will be up for this game after getting a bit of a wake up call against Purdue in the first half.

As a fan, the fact that Beckman appears to be grasping at straws here gives me confidence, but the players shouldn't pay attention to that. Just be prepared to play the game.

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/109629/big-ten-week-9-predictions

Unanimous selections

Minnesota 31, Illinois 20: The Big Ten's worst run defense will get a heavy dose of David Cobb, the nation's carries leader (189) and No. 4 rusher (1,013). Like Purdue, Illinois will try to attack Minnesota with its speed and will have some success, but Minnesota remains perfect in league play.

1,013? Against Illinois' rush defense, Cobb might hit 1,500 this week. (Before anyone responds, yes that is hyperbole, but I still think Cobb has a monster game).

1,013? Against Illinois' rush defense, Cobb might hit 1,500 this week. (Before anyone responds, yes that is hyperbole, but I still think Cobb has a monster game).

Beckman is hoping they can hold Cobb to 400 yards. :D

Top Bottom