Media predictions for Illinois game

I can see Cobb getting 100 yds+ in the first half and spending the second half watching, Kirkwood, Williams and Edwards get some quality game reps. We would need to get up early and have a comfortable lead which I believe we accomplish early in the second quarter.

I can see Cobb getting 100 yds+ in the first half and spending the second half watching, Kirkwood, Williams and Edwards get some quality game reps. We would need to get up early and have a comfortable lead which I believe we accomplish early in the second quarter.

A comfortable lead early in the second quarter?

No such thing.

Yes, would be great to see more Berkley.

Would really like to see 2-3 dominant drives to start the game from our O with some stops by the D. Can't let this team take a breath and stick with us. We gave Purdue an inch and they took a mile and that's why we ended up in a dog fight. Get up 17 or 21-0 and I can see Illinois quitting on Beckman and this being a cakewalk. However if we give them life and let them jump out early, this could be Purdue part II. And if that happens, it's going to be a long day in front of the TV with a very high quantity of adult beverages.

Maybe we won't have a comfortable lead early in the second quarter but control of the game. Cobb then plays out the rest of the half extending the lead and perhaps the first drive of the second half and then rests going into the bye week.

Would really like to see 2-3 dominant drives to start the game from our O with some stops by the D. Can't let this team take a breath and stick with us. We gave Purdue an inch and they took a mile and that's why we ended up in a dog fight. Get up 17 or 21-0 and I can see Illinois quitting on Beckman and this being a cakewalk. However if we give them life and let them jump out early, this could be Purdue part II. And if that happens, it's going to be a long day in front of the TV with a very high quantity of adult beverages.

I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't infer anything from Purdue for several reasons, among them that Purdue has a good offense, has a better team than Illinois, and isn't playing for a dead coach walking.

Will Juice Williams' annoying family be in attendance?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! So true! :clap:

EDIT: Also, didn't Nathan Scheelhause's (sp?) Dad get arrested when he was wasted last year or the year before for assualt at an Illini football game?

I hear what you're saying, but I wouldn't infer anything from Purdue for several reasons, among them that Purdue has a good offense, has a better team than Illinois, and isn't playing for a dead coach walking.

Depends on how the players view Beckman. They might love him and want to fight for him. See it all the time where players rally around a coach who's going to get fired. Plus we're getting Aaron Bailey so who knows how Illinois' offense will be. I hope awful but no reason to give them a spark.

ESPN: Week 9 Bold Predictions

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/109687/b1g-roundtable-week-9-bold-predictions

Josh Moyer: The Illini will look incompetent with a two-QB system

Tim Beckman was adamant he wants to play both dual-threat Aaron Bailey and pocket-passer Reilly O'Toole. Bad move, Tim -- and even your offensive coordinator doesn't seem sold on the idea. Bill Cubit just shrugged earlier this week when asked if Beckman's two-QB idea was the best plan: "I don't know. I'll be honest with you, the playbook gets really expanded for one guy." The two-quarterback system worked against Wisconsin because the Badgers didn't expect Bailey to run. That element of surprise is gone now; Minnesota knows what's coming. And we think we know, too: Another Illinois loss.

Dan Murphy: Three players will reach 200 rushing yards

Despite Tevin Coleman -- the country's second most productive running back -- taking the week off for a bye, the Big Ten will see three 200-yard rushing performances this Saturday. Illinois allows 271 yards per game on the ground (125th nationally). Minnesota workhorse David Cobb will fill the majority of that quota this week. Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon, the only player with more rushing yards than Coleman, faces a Maryland defense with its own issues stopping the run. The regular cast of characters finishes with Ameer Abdullah from Nebraska, who is likely headed for a high-scoring affair with Rutgers in Lincoln.

From Illinois' blog: http://www.thechampaignroom.com/201...view-minnesota-golden-gophers-fighting-illini

I'm not liking the looks of this one. You could potentially talk me into the Illini hanging around with Iowa or Penn State at this point, but Minnesota appears to actually be a bit improved from last year's team. In a down Big Ten, that's good enough for a division lead and very solid conference record thus far. I think we can go back to GopherNation's words from our "Behind Enemy Lines" preview for the most important part of this game:

Minnesota's rushing offense should be able to rack up a lot of yards against a weak Illinois rush defense. I think if the Gophers play their ball-control offense plus winning field position plus making teams execute long offensive drives if they want to score...they will win. Illinois is going to have to create turnovers and take advantage of them.

This is spot-on. The Illini probably won't be able to stop the run. Their best chance of winning outside of that is either getting into a shootout (praise Cubit, if so) or forcing turnovers (hahahahah yeah right) and finishing drives. The outlook on this one is not good, but I'm expecting the Illini to hang around for a minute or two and maybe score a garbage time touchdown. That has, after all, been Aaron Bailey's specialty thus far.

Minnesota Golden Gophers 37, Illinois Fighting Illini 24

USA Today: http://q.usatoday.com/2014/10/23/college-football-staff-picks-mississippi-lsu/

cCxH5ut.png

Off Tackle Empire: http://www.offtackleempire.com/2014/10/24/7056897/picks-or-gtfo-ote-staff-calls-the-games

Minnesota (-6) at Illinois || 11am, ESPNU

Straight-Up: Minnesota, 9-0 || Against the Spread: Minnesota, 9-0

DJ Carver: Minnesota at Illinois: Minnesota, and they cover. If you are only favored by 6 against Illinois, this is why the Gophers shouldn't be in playoff talk.

Graham Filler: Minnesota wins, covers

Aaron Yorke: See guys? Vegas doesn't believe in the Gophers either. I still think they beat Illinois by at least a touchdown, though. Goldy 27-17

AK: Gophs win and cover. Did we forget exactly how bad Illinois is at defending the run, and that running is all Minnesota wants to do?

CE Bell: If this line was Minnesota (-20), I'd still take the Gophers. This will be an absolute stomping, a chance to bet the life savings on a sure thing.

Jesse Collins: Minny over Illinois and the cover. Not sure why the spread is so low, except that Minnesota wins close? Let's give the Golden Gophers a 21-10 win.

Babaoreally: Minnesota to win and cover

GoForTJ: Minnesewda over Illinois. With Wes Lunt this would've been a real trap game, but I can't see Minnesota's run game being slowed down too much but Illinois. Gophers with the win and cover.

MNWildcat: Illinois can't defend the run. Minnesota can run. Sometimes, simple narratives are simple for a reason. Gophers go to 7-1 and get ranked. Behold, the time of the Goperhing is coming. As Glen is my witness, so it approaches. Minnesota, 31-20.

Moar Champaign Room: http://www.thechampaignroom.com/2014/10/24/7060243/illinois-vs-minnesota-predictions-thread

Jim Vainisi --- Minnesota 34, Illinois 21
I actually think Illinois will play pretty well on Saturday, but I don't think they can hang with the Gophers for an entire game. I'm expecting it to be close for about 2.5 quarters, but Minnesota will eventually pull away. One week closer to freedom (and basketball season).

Mark Primiano --- Minnesota 42, Illinois 21
The Gophers are off to a fantastic start, but that record does seem a little hollow. The only good team they've played, TCU, absolutely jojowhomped them. But we aren't TCU. David Cobb is going to have one hell of a day marching through our squishy soft defense. Happy Homecoming.

Aaron Rench --- Illinois 27, Minnesota 24
Homecoming, new jerseys, new quarterback -- all of these combine to get the Illini to their best level of play this season. Our defense will still have the flood gates open, but it will be the offense, just like most weeks, that saves the day.

Colin Whitchurch --- Minnesota 38, Illinois 30
I know the Gophers barely hung on against Purdue and Northwestern at home, but I'm just not that confident in picking the Illini to lose by less than a touchdown to anyone right now.

Bryce Smith --- Illinois 31, Minnesota 27
I haven't predicted very many upsets this year, but I'm going to for this game, which will come down to the defense being able to stop anything against Minnesota's run. I truly believe Aaron Bailey and Mike Dudek could have huge days and lead us to victory. I might look back on this and say my prediction was stupid, though. One other note: if this is a blowout then Beckman might be gone and the countdown will really start for basketball season.

Brandon Cain --- Minnesota 35, Illinois 14
Minnesota is one of the most underrated teams in the country and will have Illinois beat on both sides of the ball this weekend. This game should not even be close.

Brad Repplinger --- Illinois 77, Minnesota 70 (OT)
In a complete shootout of a football game, Josh Ferguson scores four touchdowns in the first half a-la Red Grange and Donovonn Young adds another four in the second half. Throw in a kickoff and punt return from V'Angelo Bentley, and the Illini and Minnesota head into overtime tied at 70. Ferguson scores on his first carry of overtime, and with an added extra point, the Illini match the Galloping Ghost's number at 77. Minnesota puts the ball on the turf the next series, and the Illini win on Homecoming weekend.

Trevor Vallese --- Minnesota 31, Illinois 14
I'm liking the optimism in this thread, but I just can't bring myself to join in on it. There seems to be a lot of disconnect between Beckman ("You'll see both Bailey and O'Toole this weekend, a 2-QB system") and Cubit ("I don't know... I've never done this before") this week regarding the offense, and quite frankly, that's the only thing that might be able to keep the Illini in the game. Bailey was impressive for one series against Wisconsin but I'll wait to jump on the bandwagon until I see an entire 60 minutes of him under center. David Cobb will run all over the Illinois defense and despite a close first half, this one will be a blowout.

In a complete shootout of a football game, Josh Ferguson scores four touchdowns in the first half a-la Red Grange and Donovonn Young adds another four in the second half. Throw in a kickoff and punt return from V'Angelo Bentley, and the Illini and Minnesota head into overtime tied at 70. Ferguson scores on his first carry of overtime, and with an added extra point, the Illini match the Galloping Ghost's number at 77. Minnesota puts the ball on the turf the next series, and the Illini win on Homecoming weekend.

Wow.. Just wow.

Not a prediction, but Dennis Dodd of CBS highlighted eight games nationally and Minnesota-Illinois was one of them.

Minnesota at Illinois: The Gophers (6-1, leading the Big Ten West) can win the league. The Illini can start looking for a new coach (Tim Beckman, one Big Ten win in three seasons). There is magic in Minny. David Cobb is almost on pace for a 2,000-yard season (1,013 rushing yards through seven games.) Jerry Kill continues to, well, kill it.

Moar Champaign Room: http://www.thechampaignroom.com/2014/10/24/7060243/illinois-vs-minnesota-predictions-thread

I don't know what he's on but I bet it isn't legal!

The whole prediction was predicated on Grange being #77. It wasn't serious at all.
I know it was based on Grange but then I can have fun and accuse the writer of doing drugs.

Detroit News: Minnesota at Illinois: Who knows, if the plucky Gophers keep winning in this altered landscape, maybe they'll play the Spartans in the Big Ten title game for the Little Brown Jug. Minnesota 27-17

Chicago Tribune: Minnesota (minus 5.5) at Illinois: The Illini are dangerous — and not only to themselves — with that Reilly O'Toole-Aaron Bailey quarterback combo, but Minnesota is too solid. Go with the Gophers.

STrib:

JOE’S PREDICTION

37 21

MINN ILL

This looks like a trap game — on the road before big November showdowns — but the Gophers got their wake-up call last week against Purdue.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/280386532.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I've never really understood the phrase "trap game". Is that just sports speak for "game we should win, but for some reason we are afraid our boys might choke?" Either way, I agree with this guy about the wakeup call against Purdue. I'd be shocked if we don't come out flying on all cylinders after last week.

Detroit News: Minnesota at Illinois: Who knows, if the plucky Gophers keep winning in this altered landscape, maybe they'll play the Spartans in the Big Ten title game for the Little Brown Jug. Minnesota 27-17

[/FONT][/COLOR]
I wonder if the Wolverines would care if the Gophers played the Spartans for the Little Brown Jug? :confused:

I wonder if the Wolverines would care if the Gophers played the Spartans for the Little Brown Jug? :confused:

It's still early, but you've got to tune-up your sense of humor a little. ;)

Here's more of his column, which was mainly about how irrelevant Michigan has become.

"Well, I hope the Spartans are happy with themselves. In a brutish, arrogant manner, they've squeezed out all the angst and animosity from one of the greatest rivalries in the entire Great Lakes region. Good job, fellas.
What's the point now? The Spartans and Wolverines are preparing to clash Saturday and there's no vitriol, no barbs. Michigan State is 6-1 and making plans for the four-team national playoff, unless the Southeastern Conference decides otherwise. Michigan is 3-4 and reevaluating its entire leadership structure, leaving little time for the day-to-day issues of blocking and scoring.
The Spartans have overtaken the state with five victories in the past six meetings and are favored by 17. Coincidentally, that's the point spread and the over-under on the Wolverines punt total. As evidence of its newfound power, Michigan State gets to manipulate the schedule so its instate "rival" is a tuneup for the showdown in two weeks against its real rival, Ohio..
For instance, this was the general response from glassy-eyed Michigan players this week: "It's. Just. The. Next. Game. On. Our. Schedule. … Actually, we're sick of …" (ZZZZAAAPP from electrode in neck). "They. Have. Great. Players. With. Big. Muscles."
Everything is fake and forced now, and it's entirely Michigan State's fault. The Wolverines can barely feign arrogance anymore. And under Mark "Bo" Dantonio, the Spartans are extremely adept at hiding old insecurities and lying about their concerns for the game. Essentially, they've swiped the Wolverines identity, along with their Starbucks money.
I understand Michigan ruined the rivalry for about 38 years, winning 30 times from 1970-2007. But the difference is, Michigan State didn't back away, always determined to pull the occasional wacky upset. The hostility grew, frankly, to unhealthy levels, peaking when the "little brother" label officially was affixed a few years ago.
So the question is, in the new era of Little Brother-versus-Littler Brother, will the Wolverines take it personally? Will they respond angrily to repeated incursions into their backfield and attacks upon their quarterback? Or will it be like the other day, when a roving band of Spartans marched onto Michigan's Diag, blitzed through the open gap as Pat Narduzzi instructed, and painted the famed block M green. It was so easy, eyewitnesses said they thought Michigan's offensive line was in charge of protection.
That's a cheap shot, precisely the kind that makes a mundane rivalry more intense. Now it's Michigan's turn to show some feisty passion. Does Hoke drop a "pride comes before the fall" line? Does Michigan hire a friendly clock operator with a sticky finger for those last-second finishes?
As long as Michigan wanders aimlessly, reacting to every cry and sigh from alums and fans and blustery commentators, it won't be back. All across college football, schools brush aside academic scandals and alleged seafood heists by Heisman-winning quarterbacks. At Michigan, the use of skywriting planes and fireworks spawns town-hall meetings and prayer groups.
Somehow, the Spartans stopped getting caught up in such nonsense. Now, if they truly plan to rule the state for an extended period, I've drawn up a list of guidelines they need to follow:
■ Drop the obsession, people. You've made your point — you were tormented for generations, going back to 1949, when Michigan allegedly didn't want you bringing your livestock into the Big Ten. There's a whole world of national acclaim out there — go get it!
■ Henceforth, your biggest rival is Ohio. Followed by Penn State. Followed by Indiana. Repeat this to your Michigan friends, watch them blink in disbelief.
■ Hire a skywriter for Saturday's game and have it scrawl your deepest hope for the rivalry: "Keep Hoke Alive."
■ If you're still so inclined — and I'm not suggesting you are! — find higher-quality furniture to incinerate after big games. I'd recommend a nice leather love seat with an ottoman.
■ Pompously pump up your status. You don't have Spartan "buddies" or "drinking pals" anymore. You have fellow "Michigan State Men." If that's too pretentious, these are acceptable: Sparty Man, Green Man, Ma Main Man.
Consider this a public service to Spartans and Wolverines everywhere. In a safe and orderly manner, please adjust accordingly.
Pick: Michigan State Men 34-13

The picks

Ohio (State) at Penn State: The Buckeyes face the same dilemma as the Spartans — try to destroy a Big Ten opponent without destroying what's left of the Big Ten's reputation. Urban Meyer doesn't strike me as the sensitive type. Ohio State 42-10

Minnesota at Illinois: Who knows, if the plucky Gophers keep winning in this altered landscape, maybe they'll play the Spartans in the Big Ten title game for the Little Brown Jug. Minnesota 27-17"

Chicago Tribune: Minnesota (minus 5.5) at Illinois: The Illini are dangerous — and not only to themselves — with that Reilly O'Toole-Aaron Bailey quarterback combo, but Minnesota is too solid. Go with the Gophers.

I didn't know we could just swap trophies after we win them. Cool!

Top Bottom