Quest for the West

goldy93

Reaction score
Maybe someone else has posted this, but here are the remaining schedules for the contenders:

Minnesota: @Illini, Iowa, OSU, @Neb, @Wisc
Nebraska: Rut, Purd, @Wisc, MN, @Iowa
Iowa: NW, @MN, @Illini, Wisc, Neb
Wisconsin: MD, @Rut, @Purd, Neb, @Iowa, MN

I guess I should throw in NW, just in case:
Northwestern: @Iowa, MI, @ND, @Purd, Illini

I do not see any of the teams running the table and I could easily see several (all?) teams losing 2 more games.

It's interesting that none of those top 4 teams have played each other yet. It really is wide open.

It's interesting that none of those top 4 teams have played each other yet. It really is wide open.

I hope the Big Ten keeps it that way. Every season the last couple weeks as much as possible should be divisional games. I really like that the last weekend is pretty much rivalry weekend.

Interesting to note, that Nebraska-Iowa tilt is the Friday after Thanksgiving, so we'll likely know how the top of the division is, and potentially what we need to do to win the division, well before our game against Wisconsin on Saturday. We could - *gag* - be in a position to begrudgingly root for the Hawkeyes while scarfing down turkey sandwiches.

Maybe someone else has posted this, but here are the remaining schedules for the contenders:

Minnesota: @Illini, Iowa, OSU, @Neb, @Wisc
Nebraska: Rut, Purd, @Wisc, MN, @Iowa
Iowa: NW, @MN, @Illini, Wisc, Neb
Wisconsin: MD, @Rut, @Purd, Neb, @Iowa, MN

I guess I should throw in NW, just in case:
Northwestern: @Iowa, MI, @ND, @Purd, Illini

I do not see any of the teams running the table and I could easily see several (all?) teams losing 2 more games.

I agree with your last assumption and think that it's fair to assume the winner will have exactly two losses. Hard for anyone to run the table (maybe Nebraska?) with a stretch of games as tough as outlined above.

Additionally, assuming we beat Iowa on 11/8, it is HUGE for the Gophers title chances that Nebraska and Wisconsin travel to Iowa this year. I don't think this Iowa squad could beat either team on the road this year, but anything can happen at Kinnick.

Agree, I could see this whole thing coming down to tie breakers. We really need to hold on to our one game lead. Now, if everyone aside from NW and us were to drop a game this weekend, that would be cool.

This year has all the makings for a Wild, Wild West finish. I have felt all along that 6-2 could win it and likely have co-champs.

Lets hope the BIG newbies Maryland and Rutgers ride into town and raise some havoc and knock off Wisky and the Huskers. Off course, we need to make sure we take care of our own business against the Illini.

Then the following week we can look forward to another episode.

Interesting to note, that Nebraska-Iowa tilt is the Friday after Thanksgiving, so we'll likely know how the top of the division is, and potentially what we need to do to win the division, well before our game against Wisconsin on Saturday. We could - *gag* - be in a position to begrudgingly root for the Hawkeyes while scarfing down turkey sandwiches.

I think that scenario looks like a good possibility. The Gophers get to 6 wins, taking care of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin. Nebraska loses to Wisconsin. That leaves us rooting for Iowa on Black (and Gold) Friday.

Make no mistake BEAT ILLINOIS!

And then are you really ready?

You must be a TERP!

]

I like that all three of the Gophers opponents will have tough physical matchups the week before playing the Gophers. I'll be cheering for Rutgers, MD, Purdue and sometimes NW.

I mentioned it in another thread, but there is a path to having Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska all 5-2 entering the final weekend's head-to-head matchups:

Minnesota: @Illini (W), Iowa (W), OSU (L), @Neb (L)
Nebraska: Rut (W), Purd (W), @Wisc (L), MN (W)
Iowa: NW (W), @MN (L), @Illini (W), Wisc (W)
Wisconsin: MD (W), @Rut (W), @Purd (W), Neb (W), @Iowa (L)

Because Nebraska visits Iowa on the Friday after Thanksgiving, the Gophers and Badgers would take the field already knowing what was at stake. Under this scenario, an Iowa win would eliminate Wisky from contention, and Minnesota would be playing for a trip to Indy. A Nebraska win would eliminate the Gophers, and Wisky would be playing for the title game berth.

I mentioned it in another thread, but there is a path to having Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska all 5-2 entering the final weekend's head-to-head matchups:

Minnesota: @Illini (W), Iowa (W), OSU (L), @Neb (L)
Nebraska: Rut (W), Purd (W), @Wisc (L), MN (W)
Iowa: NW (W), @MN (L), @Illini (W), Wisc (W)
Wisconsin: MD (W), @Rut (W), @Purd (W), Neb (W), @Iowa (L)

Because Nebraska visits Iowa on the Friday after Thanksgiving, the Gophers and Badgers would take the field already knowing what was at stake. Under this scenario, an Iowa win would eliminate Wisky from contention, and Minnesota would be playing for a trip to Indy. A Nebraska win would eliminate the Gophers, and Wisky would be playing for the title game berth.

Crazy part is, it's not THAT far fetched. Perhaps the biggest stretches are Wisconsin over Nebraska, Iowa over Wisconsin, and Minnesota over Iowa ... but the winners in those would all be at home, so not even that big of a stretch. That would be a crazy weekend.

and finally you are a Scarlet Knight

And why are you a fan of these cross overs because the Big 10 engineered it with the thought Maryland and Rutgers would be a gimme. And having beaten Northwestern any damage they can wreak is welcome.

I for one, have held off on officially welcoming Maryland and Rutgers to our esteemed conference, but would be freely willing to do so if they can both win this weekend

Going into the final game, if the Gophers were already eliminated because of a tiebreaker, I think there would be plenty to play for. I could manage to live with a 1st place tie.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Going into the final game, if the Gophers were already eliminated because of a tiebreaker, I think there would be plenty to play for. I could manage to live with a 1st place tie.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Not entirely certain, but I think any teams that tie for the division receive a trophy.

Imagine this scene: Gophers and Badgers playing - Gophers win, grab the Axe - AND knock Wisconsin out of the B1G title game at the same time.

The only thing better would be if Bulimia was still coaching - watching him have to go out and shake Kill's hand would be so wonderful, I might levitate.

Top Bottom