How do you rank the Big 10 running backs?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
In recent years, the Big 10 has produced some outstanding running backs. This year, there are so many backs that I think are rock solid. Here's my personal top 6.

1) Tevin Coleman. Dude is good. Tough, strong, elusive and fast. Reminds me of Eric Dickerson. Would be even better on a different team.
2) Melvin Gordon. Okay, this guy may not be a horse, but he has the potential to break it each time he touches the ball. Just scary.
3) David Cobb. The more you see, the more you like. If he's overworked, he's not showing signs.
4) Ameer Abdullah. He's tough as nails. Smallish, but is a workhorse. Seems odd to have him at #4, and I could see arguments for him at the top of the pile.
5) Justin Jackson. Smart and patient. Great cutback capability. He will be a pain in the butt for three more years.
5) Akeem Hunt. I've seen a few Purdue games this year and was impressed. He fits Purdue perfectly.

So, there you have it. About right?

I'd have difficulty doing the same if this was a quarterback list for the Big 10.

1) Gordon

2) Coleman

3) Abdullah

4) Cobb

5) Jackson

6) Hunt

1-2 are very close and 3-4 are very close. Could make the case either way. You could give a knock to Abdullah for the MSU game if you wanted.

In recent years, the Big 10 has produced some outstanding running backs. This year, there are so many backs that I think are rock solid. Here's my personal top 6.

1) Tevin Coleman. Dude is good. Tough, strong, elusive and fast. Reminds me of Eric Dickerson. Would be even better on a different team.
2) Melvin Gordon. Okay, this guy may not be a horse, but he has the potential to break it each time he touches the ball. Just scary.
3) David Cobb. The more you see, the more you like. If he's overworked, he's not showing signs.
4) Ameer Abdullah. He's tough as nails. Smallish, but is a workhorse. Seems odd to have him at #4, and I could see arguments for him at the top of the pile.
5) Justin Jackson. Smart and patient. Great cutback capability. He will be a pain in the butt for three more years.
5) Akeem Hunt. I've seen a few Purdue games this year and was impressed. He fits Purdue perfectly.

So, there you have it. About right?

I'd have difficulty doing the same if this was a quarterback list for the Big 10.

List seems about right. Think the top 4 are pretty interchangeable.

1. Coleman (edge over Abdullah because he went for 100+ vs. MSU, Abdullah was stuffed)

2. Abdullah (everyone gets a mulligan, his was MSU)

3. Cobb (I like grinders who get tough yards)

4. Gordon (excellent back but also a product of Wisconsin's system, Montee Ball 2.0)

5. Langford (hurt by being part of a talented & balanced offense, but he's just like #3. Thinking his best is yet to come later this season).

6. Hunt (that dude is fast, and dangerous)

Cobb is the best for a single reason

he sports the Jackie Gleason mustache. That thing is sweet!

1)Abdullah-Heart and soul of the huskers team, speed, workhorse, playmaker
2)Coleman-Maybe more talented than any of them but his team makes it tough to tell how good he is.
3)Cobb-Workhorse, surprisingly tough to tackle, makes the first guy miss, grinds games away seemingly alone.
4)Gordon-Flashy, speedy, but certainly not a workhorse. He's lucky they have another back on the team that can absorb carries because he's simply not built to grind games like Cobb/Abdullah.

Cobb would be top 2 if he demonstrated some home run ability. He seems to miss that top end speed and explosiveness that great backs have, although could be there just hasn't been a circumstance to demonstrate it.

1) Gordon

2) Coleman

3) Abdullah

4) Cobb

5) Jackson

6) Hunt

1-2 are very close and 3-4 are very close. Could make the case either way. You could give a knock to Abdullah for the MSU game if you wanted.

This would be my list as well. As great as Cobb is I think he's 4th best in the BIG. Gordon IMO is EASILY #1.

Top Bottom