FSN: Cobb's productivity tough on other RBs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Cobb's productivity tough on other RBs: Minnesota has had a hard time taking senior running back David Cobb out of games this year, a big reason why he leads the nation with 189 carries. Because of his workmanlike season, Cobb's backups have been used only sparingly through seven games.

Fellow senior Donnell Kirkwood got into the action a bit Saturday against Purdue and found the end zone on a short run, but backup Rodrick Williams didn't have a carry in each of the Gophers' last two games. Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover said that's nothing to do with Kirkwood and Williams, but speaks more for what Cobb has been able to do as the No. 1 back.

Both Williams and Kirkwood have just 14 carries each this season after rushing 60 and 52 times, respectively, last year. Two seasons ago, Kirkwood led Minnesota with 218 carries for 926 yards but has now seen those carries dwindle as a result of Cobb's effectiveness.

"He never looks exhausted," Limegrover said of Cobb. "It's hard when you've got a kid that's rolling the way he's going to say, 'Hey, we're going to take you out and go a different direction.' That's hard right now."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...se-has-to-prepare-for-two-illinois-qbs-102114

Go Gophers!!

Is Berkley hurt? I'm shocked his name hasn't come up. I thought in the preseason he was going to play an important role if we wanted to be successful. Doing this without that threat and impact is pretty big.

Is Berkley hurt? I'm shocked his name hasn't come up. I thought in the preseason he was going to play an important role if we wanted to be successful. Doing this without that threat and impact is pretty big.

He's hurt. Diagnosis: Freshmanitis.

Berkley and the other backs have been ineffective in their limited carries.

But like Limegrover says, it is tough to go away from a guy that is playing as well as Cobb is right now. Would have to believe all the other backs are really frustrated by a lack of touches but at the same time as long as the team is winning they are not going to complain about it.

He's still battling a shoulder injury.

Berkley and the other backs have been ineffective in their limited carries.

But like Limegrover says, it is tough to go away from a guy that is playing as well as Cobb is right now. Would have to believe all the other backs are really frustrated by a lack of touches but at the same time as long as the team is winning they are not going to complain about it.

It's obvious that when Berkley has been handed the ball and headed toward the sideline he's been tackled for loss. I'm not smart enough to know whether that was a function of being a freshman and missing a hole or a cut, poor blocking/missed assignments or inopportune play call. It would be interesting if someone could shed some light on that. It doesn't reflect well on Berkley, but maybe it has nothing to do with him, if you get my drift.

I think Cobb's vision is what makes him special. He is patient and sees the hole. The other backs seem to just run into the offensive linemen.

I think Cobb's vision is what makes him special. He is patient and sees the hole. The other backs seem to just run into the offensive linemen.

He definitely seems shiftier, more patient and lighter on his feet this year. He's got more of the "shake and bake" this year than I remember from last year. He says he's gotten stronger, but he also looks thinner in the waste this year. I thinks he's a step faster now.

I'm hopeful that this Saturday's game will have us up with a decent lead in the 3rd and 4th quarters, and we'll be able to get Kirkwood and Nugget in for much of the 2nd half, and give Cobb a little lighter workload going into the 2nd bye. Extra fresh for Iowa.

I'm hopeful that this Saturday's game will have us up with a decent lead in the 3rd and 4th quarters, and we'll be able to get Kirkwood and Nugget in for much of the 2nd half, and give Cobb a little lighter workload going into the 2nd bye. Extra fresh for Iowa.
After Cobb gashes Illinois for 600 yards in the 1st half of course.

My hockey focused mind isn't always great at football, but it seems as if he tries to always get to the outside rather than taking a hole a cutting up when he has the opportunity. On several of his tfls there was an opening to take advantage of behind the defender pursuing to the outside.

Top Bottom