Newspaper article you will see next week

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I've said elsewhere I am taking the Illinois game for granted. I can do that. I'm a fan on a message board. You can't stop me. Victory. 7-1.

With that in mind, how long before comparisons are made between this Gopher squad and Brewster's team that was 7-1 and ranked? I smell a Strib filler piece coming on sometime mid week comparing the two 7-1 squads.

Lots of what ifs from that season. Things spiraled badly starting with that Northwestern pick six and ending in the carnage of the Lois Feldman Metrodome wrap up. Casual fans didn't need to see more to be convinced of "same old Gophers" after an 0-4 finish.

Gophers Hope History Doesn't Repeat Itself
Special to the Star Tribune, by Josh087
October 22nd, 2014

The Golden Gopher football program has been here before.

With just four games remaining in the regular season, Minnesota has a chance once again to turn doubters into believers, knowing that with a strong finish to the season a top-tier bowl game and even a possible conference title are still very much within reach. This is Minnesota's third realistic chance at this exact scenario since 2002 - surprising from a program relegated near the bottom of the Big Ten during the last 40 years.

Flash back to 2002, when the Gophers took advantage of a relatively easy first part of the conference schedule by beating Illinois, Northwestern, and Michigan State (teams that would combine for an overall record of 12-24) to start out 7-1. They found themselves ranked in the top 25, only to see that momentum crushed by losing its last four regular season games by a combined 169-79 to the top teams in the Conference, including losses in three trophy games to Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Again, in 2008 the Gophers sprinted out to a 7-1 start and a top 20 national ranking thanks to a softer first part of the conference schedule, beating Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue - who again combined for an overall record of 12-24. The Gophers were riding high again, until it all fell apart at the seams. They gave up a last-second touchdown to underdog Northwestern and never recovered, slumping to five straight losses by a combined 184-76, including a program-regressing 55-0 setback at the hands of rival Iowa.

Well, here we are in 2014, and the Gophers once again have taken advantage of a favorable early schedule with wins over Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois (teams currently a combined 12-19 overall) to move to 7-1 overall and find themselves once again in the top 25 and part of the conference title discussion. They now must face two of their chief rivals in the final four games in Iowa and Wisconsin, and two other teams in Nebraska and Ohio State who are ranked in the top 15 in the country.

Sound familiar?

Coach Jerry Kill isn't too worried about the past. "Shoot, none of these guys were a part of those teams," Kill quipped during his weekly press conference. "We're just trying to work our tail ends off to get better each and every day and we don't let that outside talk bother us."

However, some of the veterans on the team have already made it clear that they are looking ahead and that the Big Ten title is one of the key goals this season. "All of our goals are still out in front of us," senior Cedric Thompson said. We feel like we don't have a lot of respect from the media and are just trying to prove the doubters wrong."

Sophomore quarterback Mitch Leidner feels like the team has the right attitude to compete in the tough part of the Big Ten schedule. "We know each week is a challenge," Leidner said during Thursday's practice. "In this league we can't take anyone for granted and we just need to trust the coaches and the gameplan to give us the best chance to win. It's been a bumpy process so far. We're trying to build a program one brick at a time, and now we're faced with another challenge that we need to work to overcome. And it starts this week with Iowa and the battle for the pig."

The "brick by brick" mantra has worked so far for coach Kill and his team. The question remains to be answered - is there enough of a foundation set by those bricks to build upon the failures of the past?

Josh087 can be reached during Gopher football games in the pressbox during the first half of games, and in section 135 row 11 during the second half of games.

Just a note-the casual fan base still hasn't caught on to this season. I was in a meeting yesterday with a woman who asked me if I'd gone to the game Saturday. I was talking about what a great game it was and she said "I know, finally a win, right?". I looked at her and said "We're 6-1". She said, "Oh yeah, well, I mean finally a winning season though." All I could respond with was "We were 8-5 last year."

It is mind-boggling to me that people still have no clue.

Just a note-the casual fan base still hasn't caught on to this season. I was in a meeting yesterday with a woman who asked me if I'd gone to the game Saturday. I was talking about what a great game it was and she said "I know, finally a win, right?". I looked at her and said "We're 6-1". She said, "Oh yeah, well, I mean finally a winning season though." All I could respond with was "We were 8-5 last year."

My wife goes to every game and while she can tell you things like "Goldy has a new costume, the students new t-shirt is funny, and what happen to the cannon," I'm pretty sure you could give her a dozen guesses at last year's record and you'd hear things like, 9-4, 7-7, 15-2, 10-3-1, etc. I'm guessing the woman you were talking to could give you every detail about some show like "Sex in the City" and say the same thing about you and me ;-)

My wife goes to every game and while she can tell you things like "Goldy has a new costume, the students new t-shirt is funny, and what happen to the cannon," I'm pretty sure you could give her a dozen guesses at last year's record and you'd hear things like, 9-4, 7-7, 15-2, 10-3-1, etc. I'm guessing the woman you were talking to could give you every detail about some show like "Sex in the City" and say the same thing about you and me ;-)

But I bet your wife wouldn't strike up a conversation with someone discussing the Gophers record if she had no idea about it. But I don't know your wife, so maybe she would, lol

Gophers Hope History Doesn't Repeat Itself
Special to the Star Tribune, by Josh087
October 22nd, 2014

The Golden Gopher football program has been here before.

With just four games remaining in the regular season, Minnesota has a chance once again to turn doubters into believers, knowing that with a strong finish to the season a top-tier bowl game and even a possible conference title are still very much within reach. This is Minnesota's third realistic chance at this exact scenario since 2002 - surprising from a program relegated near the bottom of the Big Ten during the last 40 years.

Flash back to 2002, when the Gophers took advantage of a relatively easy first part of the conference schedule by beating Illinois, Northwestern, and Michigan State (teams that would combine for an overall record of 12-24) to start out 7-1. They found themselves ranked in the top 25, only to see that momentum crushed by losing its last four regular season games by a combined 169-79 to the top teams in the Conference, including losses in three trophy games to Iowa, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Again, in 2008 the Gophers sprinted out to a 7-1 start and a top 20 national ranking thanks to a softer first part of the conference schedule, beating Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue - who again combined for an overall record of 12-24. The Gophers were riding high again, until it all fell apart at the seams. They gave up a last-second touchdown to underdog Northwestern and never recovered, slumping to five straight losses by a combined 184-76, including a program-regressing 55-0 setback at the hands of rival Iowa.

Well, here we are in 2014, and the Gophers once again have taken advantage of a favorable early schedule with wins over Michigan, Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois (teams currently a combined 12-19 overall) to move to 7-1 overall and find themselves once again in the top 25 and part of the conference title discussion. They now must face two of their chief rivals in the final four games in Iowa and Wisconsin, and two other teams in Nebraska and Ohio State who are ranked in the top 15 in the country.

Sound familiar?

Coach Jerry Kill isn't too worried about the past. "Shoot, none of these guys were a part of those teams," Kill quipped during his weekly press conference. "We're just trying to work our tail ends off to get better each and every day and we don't let that outside talk bother us."

However, some of the veterans on the team have already made it clear that they are looking ahead and that the Big Ten title is one of the key goals this season. "All of our goals are still out in front of us," senior Cedric Thompson said. We feel like we don't have a lot of respect from the media and are just trying to prove the doubters wrong."

Sophomore quarterback Mitch Leidner feels like the team has the right attitude to compete in the tough part of the Big Ten schedule. "We know each week is a challenge," Leidner said during Thursday's practice. "In this league we can't take anyone for granted and we just need to trust the coaches and the gameplan to give us the best chance to win. It's been a bumpy process so far. We're trying to build a program one brick at a time, and now we're faced with another challenge that we need to work to overcome. And it starts this week with Iowa and the battle for the pig."

The "brick by brick" mantra has worked so far for coach Kill and his team. The question remains to be answered - is there enough of a foundation set by those bricks to build upon the failures of the past?

Josh087 can be reached during Gopher football games in the pressbox during the first half of games, and in section 135 row 11 during the second half of games.

Is that Souhan?

But, was she a hottie? And is she single?

Top Bottom