"The Minnesota/Nebraska game will decide the winner of the Big Ten West"

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Glen Mason and Jay (who's last name escapes me) basically just said the following on BTN Live:

Minnesota and Nebraska are the two best teams in the West and their game will essentially decide who wins the division.

Your thoughts?

If we win the next two games they could be right. Need Wisconsin to trip up along the way as well.

Glen Mason and Jay (who's last name escapes me) basically just said the following on BTN Live:

Minnesota and Nebraska are the two best teams in the West and their game will essentially decide who wins the division.

Your thoughts?

Disagree. We're the best in the west.

Go Gophers!

The second half of the B1G schedule is much tougher than the first. Lots of games to be played before we crown leaders.

I'm not sure how any gopher fans could think about winning the west or what we are ranked right now. Let's check out the view after the Iowa game. Win these next 2 and we'll see. I also don't get how many people are writing off Wisco. They lost a tough road game on some pretty remarkable circumstances, and gutted out a win against a poor team when they didn't bring their A game. Surely we can relate to the latter scenario and nobody here is predicting doom for us.

I don't think any single game will decide the West. There will obviously be some cannibalism that happens the last 4 weeks of this season. It will be all about taking care of business against the bottom of the West, and the games vs. East.

MSU took care of Nebraska - a big help. And ended any thoughts of Purdue doing anything.
PSU was no help, losing to NW. They play Illinois later this season. Yawn.
I stand by my claim that Purdue will beat somebody: (wisky, Neb, NW). Can Illinois beat anyone? If so, let's have it not be this week.
This past week Maryland proved huge in its physical dominance of Iowa, let's see if they can do it in Madison this week.
Plucky Rutgers plays at Nebraska, and hosts wisky the following week. Can they steal one? I hope so.
The loser of NW @ Iowa on Nov 1 will be dead to rights this year. Go 'Cats!

Then there's our own games vs. Ill and Iowa... Can't assume Illinois will beat anyone, so we have to hold serve this week, otherwise it's all for nothing. And Iowa... well... come Nov 8, there will be even more noise around that game than there was last year, so it's obviously going to be a giant game.

If we take care of business in the next two games then the Nebraska game could be huge. Nebraska will play Wisconsin, the same day we play OSU, should they win then our game against them will be epic because we would each have one loss in conference at worst. It's nice to acknowledge the possibilities but now we have to take care of Illinois to make it a reality. They have Purdue, Rutgers, and Wisconsin, we have Illinois and Iowa. We'll have to wait and see how it works out lots of ifs involved.

It is not at all far fetched to envision a scenario where we go into the final weekend with 5-2 Nebraska at 5-2 Iowa and 5-2 Minnesota at 5-2 Wisconsin.

Beat Illinois, and then whoever can take 2 of 3 in this round robin probably takes the division.

Are we having fun yet? We'll be in Lincoln to boot!

Go Gophers! Beat the Illini!

It is not at all far fetched to envision a scenario where we go into the final weekend with 5-2 Nebraska at 5-2 Iowa and 5-2 Minnesota at 5-2 Wisconsin.

Beat Illinois, and then whoever can take 2 of 3 in this round robin probably takes the division.

That would be a lot of fun.

I see either Wisconsin or Nebraska running the table from here on out to claim the division with us in 2nd place.

I don't think any single game will decide the West. There will obviously be some cannibalism that happens the last 4 weeks of this season. It will be all about taking care of business against the bottom of the West, and the games vs. East.

MSU took care of Nebraska - a big help. And ended any thoughts of Purdue doing anything.
I stand by my claim that Purdue will beat somebody: (wisky, Neb, NW). Can Illinois beat anyone? If so, let's have it not be this week.
This past week Maryland proved huge in its physical dominance of Iowa, let's see if they can do it in Madison this week.
Plucky Rutgers plays at Nebraska, and hosts wisky the following week. Can they steal one? I hope so.

Then there's our own games vs. Ill and Iowa... Can't assume Illinois will beat anyone, so we have to hold serve this week, otherwise it's all for nothing. And Iowa... well... come Nov 8, there will be even more noise around that game than there was last year, so it's obviously going to be a giant game.

Good points. I agree that PU & NW will both fug up somebody's season. Don't forget that Iowa, UW, and nebraska all still have to play each other. That's 3 losses to get distributed. How that shakes out will affect our chances as well

So you're saying it's pretty straightforward. I can barely keep track of who we play next week. Man you guys are pretty impressive just whipping this stuff off the top of your head. Are you football standings savants?

The Wild, Wild West could be epic!! Makings for a great story line.

6-2 will win it with co-champs and could it even be tri-champs?

If NU can beat Iowa, they have three winnable games; Michigan, Purdue and Illini. Lets hope Rutgers and Maryland have what it takes to help us out.

In the meantime, we must take care of our own business against the Illini and not worry what everyone else is doing.

I can barely keep track of who we play next week. Man you guys are pretty impressive just whipping this stuff off the top of your head. Are you football standings savants?

Nope. Just have multiple ESPN tabs open. :) Also, and I should have thought of this when I actually wrote out that post, but you can find pretty cool helmet schedules that show the whole conference's games in an easy to read, single image.

http://cdn.fbschedules.com/helmets/2014-big-ten-helmet-schedule.pdf

Up to the early 1970's Nebraska-Minnesota was an important regional matchup. I've always hoped it would return to prominence. We just need Bucky to hit the skids and Iowa to keep being Iowa.

Top Bottom