PiPress: No discipline related to late-game dust-up with Purdue

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Several Gophers players got engaged with Purdue players because they believed the hit was a cheap shot. Kill understood the situation but he called it a "teaching moment."

"You've got to be smart," he said. "You've got to be able in football and in life, you have to be able to control your emotions or you'll get in trouble. Protecting a teammate and all that is good, pull him out of there. But usually in the emotion of a football game, everybody gets tangled up in there and something happens."

Wells wasn't penalized during the fight, but linebacker Damien Wilson was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct after shoving Anthrop to the ground.

Kill said he spoke with Wells and Wilson after the game about the situation and that the Gophers now understand how important it is to keep their cool in heated moments.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

From the story:

But Kill said Wells was replacing an injured Thompson when he left the bench following the incident.

"He's substituting in, so as long as you substitute in and so forth," Kill said during his Tuesday news conference. "I've talked to the people who are in charge."

So that is what we are going with to avoid suspending Wells huh? If Wisconsin or someone else pulled that we would be flipping out about the fact that they don't discipline their players. Wells absolutely deserves some form of punishment for leaving the bench area and going after a Purdue player. I am actually surprised that Kill isn't sitting him for a half or something like that because that seems like the kind of stuff they typically don't tolerate.

From the story:

But Kill said Wells was replacing an injured Thompson when he left the bench following the incident.

"He's substituting in, so as long as you substitute in and so forth," Kill said during his Tuesday news conference. "I've talked to the people who are in charge."

So that is what we are going with to avoid suspending Wells huh? If Wisconsin or someone else pulled that we would be flipping out about the fact that they don't discipline their players. Wells absolutely deserves some form of punishment for leaving the bench area and going after a Purdue player. I am actually surprised that Kill isn't sitting him for a half or something like that because that seems like the kind of stuff they typically don't tolerate.

What Kill does or does not do above and beyond what already happened during the game (penalty) is really none of our (the fan's) business (you are a Gopher fan, correct?) . It's called internal decision making. We really don't need to know what has happened or has not happened internally on this. You are entitled to your opinion like anyone else.

The Big Ten decided no discipline was in order (suspension). We have no idea in this situation or any other really what the internal discipline has been.

Gotta say, I'm more than a little surprised that Wells got off on what appears to be a dubious technicality.

I wonder if Kill's reputation as a coach who will handle this kind of behavior got him the benefit of the doubt here. Then again, it could be that the the Big Ten reviewed the entire game, saw the officiating crew's overall poor handling of the game on all fronts, and place some blame there. I'd bet on the former though, and not the latter.

From the story:

Agreed. It was clear that Wells jumped off the bench to get into the kid's face. I think the University should have sat him for at least a quarter if not the entire game. Maybe he was very apologetic after and deserves a second chance. We don't know, but it didn't look good live.

What Kill does or does not do above and beyond what already happened during the game (penalty) is really none of our (the fan's) business (you are a Gopher fan, correct?) . It's called internal decision making. We really don't need to know what has happened or has not happened internally on this. You are entitled to your opinion like anyone else.

The Big Ten decided no discipline was in order (suspension). We have no idea in this situation or any other really what the internal discipline has been.
Right, just like no one is entitled to an opinion (oh yeah that's what we do here, express opinions) on the Jameis Winston fiasco at Florida St.

Kill is a high integrity coach who has never been slow to discipline when it is appropriate. If he says Wells as substituting in...I believe him. No kool-aid necessary.

From the story:

But that is Wisconsin and we are Minnesota.

So that is what we are going with to avoid suspending Wells huh? If Wisconsin or someone else pulled that we would be flipping out about the fact that they don't discipline their players. Wells absolutely deserves some form of punishment for leaving the bench area and going after a Purdue player.

Do you honestly think Wells should be suspended? And like MemorialStadiumFan said, just because Kill didn't say anything about it at the press conference doesn't mean he isn't punishing Wells internally. You can protect your player from the press and downplay stuff like this to outside people while punishing the player internally and making damn sure things like that don't happen again.

Wells didn't even get a penalty! The flag was on Wilson. He ran on the field to enter the game...just like Coach said. He then proceeded to legally stick up for his teammate (again - no penalty = legal). Non story.

Do you honestly think Wells should be suspended? And like MemorialStadiumFan said, just because Kill didn't say anything about it at the press conference doesn't mean he isn't punishing Wells internally. You can protect your player from the press and downplay stuff like this to outside people while punishing the player internally and making damn sure things like that don't happen again.

I think CVGUY is just making the point that we wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt that any other program would be giving a sufficient behind the scenes punishment if this had been a player coming off the bench to initiate something with a Gopher player. There have been plenty of threads over the years about other coaches not disciplining players, when they also could be punishing them internally and protecting their player from the press.

Wells didn't even get a penalty! The flag was on Wilson. He ran on the field to enter the game...just like Coach said. He then proceeded to legally stick up for his teammate (again - no penalty = legal). Non story.

He should have been given a penalty, as should any player leaving the bench during an altercation. The fact the refs missed it doesn't change the play.

I thought the B1G doesn't give out punishment/suspensions for incidents that are not called on the field. Doesn't that moot the point?

I think CVGUY is just making the point that we wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt that any other program would be giving a sufficient behind the scenes punishment if this had been a player coming off the bench to initiate something with a Gopher player. There have been plenty of threads over the years about other coaches not disciplining players, when they also could be punishing them internally and protecting their player from the press.

But we have the only good natured coach in the country

But we have the only good natured coach in the country

I sent Coach Kill an email regarding my previously posted thoughts on how one 15 yard misconduct penalty could destroy a game, a very special season, a possible better bowl berth, a few better recruits, or an extra game for a group of seniors.

My beloved Coach Kill actually responded to me for the first time in three and a half seasons. He thanked me for my "good words of wisdom".

I'm convinced now that Coach Kill is actually taking ALL of my advice and I'm single handedly guiding our team to the Big Ten Championship.

Not sure why some folks think I have a narcissistic personality disorder.

Go Gophers!!!

I sent Coach Kill an email regarding my previously posted thoughts on how one 15 yard misconduct penalty could destroy a game, a very special season, a possible better bowl berth, a few better recruits, or an extra game for a group of seniors.

My beloved Coach Kill actually responded to me for the first time in three and a half seasons. He thanked me for my "good words of wisdom".

I'm convinced now that Coach Kill is actually taking ALL of my advice and I'm single handedly guiding our team to the Big Ten Championship.

Go Gophers!!!

Last sentence: because you do. :)

Here's the rule:

No substitute(s) may enter the field of play or end zones for purposes
other than replacing a player(s) or to fill a player vacancy(ies). This
includes demonstrations after any play (A.R. 9-2-1-I).

PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S27].
Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with
other rules. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall
be disqualified [S47].

He was luck and should have been flagged, but an ejection is likely stretching it to far.

This is one of those times when I give my own team and an experienced, honorable coaching staff the edge. Unless
I'm looking for any reason I can find to drag them through the mud.

It's not like Wells ran onto the field and punched him in the head. He let his emotions get the better of him, but that's about it. Anthrop totally flopped as Wilson got in between him and Wells. Wells has been nothing but an exemplary student athlete in his four years here. If he were constantly doing things like that then maybe you could make a case for a harsh punishment. Also, Purdue was being pretty chippy on both offense and defense. They delievered more than one late hit. The last one helped set up the winning field goal.

Go Gophers!!!

Ok p@ntherh@wk.

Here's the rule:

No substitute(s) may enter the field of play or end zones for purposes
other than replacing a player(s) or to fill a player vacancy(ies). This
includes demonstrations after any play (A.R. 9-2-1-I).

PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. 15 yards from the succeeding spot [S7 and S27].
Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with
other rules. Flagrant offenders, if players or substitutes, shall
be disqualified [S47].

He was luck and should have been flagged, but an ejection is likely stretching it to far.

Not sure why you say he's lucky. Did he not enter the game as a substitute for an injured player? Sure looks like it to me. Did he have words with the Purdue player? Yup. The refs saw all of that and called no penalty for those words. The league had a chance to review the incident and apparently has no intention of taking any further action. Should Wells have handled it differently? Coach has apparently talked with him and Wilson regarding keeping their emotions in check. But Wells did limit his reaction to verbal rather than physical which is a good thing. I think there's some over-reaction on this board. Wells is allowed to run on the field since he's going into the game. Had it been a member of the offense, for example, who ran onto the field, then we've got reason to react this harshly.

Not sure why you say he's lucky. Did he not enter the game as a substitute for an injured player? Sure looks like it to me. Did he have words with the Purdue player? Yup. The refs saw all of that and called no penalty for those words. The league had a chance to review the incident and apparently has no intention of taking any further action. Should Wells have handled it differently? Coach has apparently talked with him and Wilson regarding keeping their emotions in check. But Wells did limit his reaction to verbal rather than physical which is a good thing. I think there's some over-reaction on this board. Wells is allowed to run on the field since he's going into the game. Had it been a member of the offense, for example, who ran onto the field, then we've got reason to react this harshly.

He was lucky because he would have been flagged had the ref realized he came off the bench IMO.

IMO in Case you haven't noticed the gophs run multiple players in and out on virtually very play. In this instance, I have no idea if a players turn was up to go into the game for a substitution or for injury. The unfortunate instance was the hit which was called a penalty happened in the area where a gopher player was going to enter the game for either substitution or injury. At first glance I thought he left the bench to go after an opponent. The more I think about it, he entered the game legally, unfortunately verbally engaged an opponent in an emotionally intense situation with no penalty called, and continued to play as a substitute for some player as other players entered and left the game after the play. Was it classy? No. Did he physically attack the opponent? No. Did he participate in the next play? Yes, if my memory serves. IMO if the penalized hit happens on the visitor sideline, the player in question does not run across the field and assault the opponent. But then again, maybe I'm completely wrong and Wells is a j ass. Not saying, just saying

Top Bottom