Illinois is A Must Win

husker70

Reaction score
1. We have demonstrated we can win on the road
2. We have demonstrated winning with defense
3. We have demonstrated winning with Special Teams
4. We have demonstrated winning with offense.
5. We have demonstrated coming from behind to win.
6. We need to take all these and more to Champaign Urbana, and get the job done.
7. Playing a team that seems in disarray, desperate, and coached by a lame duck can be dangerous. We cannot take anything for granted.
8. We need to keep the pressure on all those teams chasing us.
9. We need to give it all on the field going into the bye.
10. The Illini stand between us and 4-0.

We have all the must games tucked away to be bowl eligible. Now its time to focus on the Illini to determine if we have the makings to be contenders rather than pretenders.

4-0 and 7-1with a bye week and then the chance to nab the Pig is special.

Agree that this is a must win because it is the last game of the season that should theoretically not be close if the team plays to their ability.

I think it was Mason that used to say once you get bowl eligible every extra win means the ladies will be wearing less clothing when you get to your bowl game. The Gophers need to keep the throttle down and make sure we are looking at bikinis instead of parkas in late December/early January.

Again, they are ALL "Must Wins" from here on out.

The one thing we can't afford is to lose a game that we should win, so yes, this is a must win.

One brick at a time. Kill takes nothing for granted. Didn't he say "play every game as if it is a playoff game"?

The term 'Must Win' is so over used. Game 4 in a playoff series when you are down 0-3 is a 'must win'. A single elimination playoff game is a 'must win'. A game to with your last chance clinch a division title or earn a playoff bearth is a 'must win'.

This is not a 'must win' game. We are not facing elimination from anything at this point (except I suppose the BCS Playoff, right? Maybe I should be more optimistic). This is more of a 'we really need to win this one because the schedule gets a whole lot stiffer after this' game.

The term 'Must Win' is so over used. Game 4 in a playoff series when you are down 0-3 is a 'must win'. A single elimination playoff game is a 'must win'. A game to with your last chance clinch a division title or earn a playoff bearth is a 'must win'.

This is not a 'must win' game. We are not facing elimination from anything at this point (except I suppose the BCS Playoff, right? Maybe I should be more optimistic). This is more of a 'we really need to win this one because the schedule gets a whole lot stiffer after this' game.

If you have one loss overall, and a chance to win the conference; every game is a must win to get into the playoff.

100% agree with my bandana'd friend. If people use this phrase they should use it with a qualifier such as "Illinois is a must win IF...", then proceed to lay out their argument.

For example, I think this game is a must win if we want to win the division. Hard to bounce back from an Illinois loss and win the division, given our brutal November schedule, IMO.

Beating Illinois is critical. It finishes the middle games of the season. We get a bye, get healthy, and take a deep breath and attack till Thanksgiving.

Except for, as Ski U Mah points out, the playoffs, a real longshot, gotta agree with GBG. Hate to think the team would fold-up if they lose Saturday.

Except for, as Ski U Mah points out, the playoffs, a real longshot, gotta agree with GBG. Hate to think the team would fold-up if they lose Saturday.
We need to keep winning to get to the Big 10 Championship. Every conference game is critical we have a one game lead and cannot give anything away.

Yup. Major cliché that seems to be used prior to each game. I think that we all can agree that EVERY game is important. But guess what? If we lose this week.......we still have five games. We could lose those.....and we'd still have another season starting next fall.

Husker says it's a must win, so it is therefore a must win. Go gophers!

At this point of the season, there are a lot of wonderful possibilities, we must win at Illinois to start turning them into realities. It's that simple, if you want to live the dream, you need to win. Winning at Illinois is the next brick to division, conference, and national relevance.

It is a must win if you can not afford to lose the game. We can not afford to lose to Illinois.

I agree. What Husker says is fact. Always. Sometmes his preditions are a little off though *wink*

We have not demonstrated the ability to beat a ranked opponent, when that happens I will be fully on board.

Husker says it's a must win, so it is therefore a must win. Go gophers!
I agree with Husker. No way losing this game is anything but a big disappointment. That said Cubit's offense is always scary, and after last week's breakdowns anyone who thinks any B1G game is a walk-over was not paying attention Sat.

It is a must win if you can not afford to lose the game. We can not afford to lose to Illinois.

Respectfully disagree. We can lose to Illinois, and still win the division title. Is it less likely to happen? Sure. But it isn't a dealbreaker.

Like several of us have pointed out, EVERY game is now very important, but at this stage 'must win' only applies if you have eyes on being in play for the national title.

Top Bottom