David Cobb starting to make waves

Ski-U-Mah24

Reaction score
Todd McShay listed him as one of his two prospects on the rise in a recent article.

McShay: I channeled my inner Kiper and came up with two picks for this one:

David Cobb, RB, Minnesota Golden Gophers: Cobb is a tough, highly competitive runner who rushed for 194 yards on 35 carries in the Gophers' 39-28 win over Purdue Saturday. I was really impressed with what I saw from him on TV, and am looking forward to studying his tape.

It's about time, this guy is on a roll this year!

All I can say is plan on seeing two or three of the seniors in the pros including David Cobb if they continue to play the way have been playing.

This could probably be a new thread, but how many seniors will play in the NFL next year? I think Cobb and Wilson for sure; and several other possibles: Ced Thompson, Tommy Olson.

This could probably be a new thread, but how many seniors will play in the NFL next year? I think Cobb and Wilson for sure; and several other possibles: Ced Thompson, Tommy Olson.

Kiper listed Murray as his #4 CB if he goes out THIS year. I am a huge EM31 fan, but didn't worry about him leaving early until I read that.

The crazy yards after contact stat that Cobb has will really get the NFL scouts salivating. Especially for an NFL team with a crapazz OL. Like the Vikings.

The crazy yards after contact stat that Cobb has will really get the NFL scouts salivating. Especially for an NFL team with a crapazz OL. Like the Vikings.

I really would like to see the Vikings take Cobb. He'll probably end up being a 3rd-4th round pick simply because RBs aren't valued very high in the NFL, and has a pretty high ceiling IMO. Him and Mckinnon would make a good pair, I think.

Kiper listed Murray as his #4 CB if he goes out THIS year. I am a huge EM31 fan, but didn't worry about him leaving early until I read that.

Yeah, I think Kill and Co are worried as well. Expect to see a Juco CB still to come in this class. Hoping Murray realizes that the offense is going to be better next year with more time under Mitch's belt and all the young receivers being a year older and the RB talent coming in and red shirting this year...next year could be very special (and a much easier schedule).

It would be hard to pass up. Yeah after year.....you see players shoot up and down the draft boards due to things like progression or injuries. If he is projected as the #4 CB.......that would probably put him as a second-round pick at worst. Possible first round pick.....as good defensive backs are highly valued.\

It's hard to say. Let the year play out and see what happens.

Yeah, I think Kill and Co are worried as well. Expect to see a Juco CB still to come in this class. Hoping Murray realizes that the offense is going to be better next year with more time under Mitch's belt and all the young receivers being a year older and the RB talent coming in and red shirting this year...next year could be very special (and a much easier schedule).

Huh? We play the exact same conference schedule plus TCU...

Epping and Wilson have a good chance to be drafted along with Cobb, Tommy Olson is on the bubble, Cedric Thompson gets a free agent deal.

If a player is projected to be drafted in the first two rounds IMO they should go. If not, they should stay put and work to improve their draft stock. There were an absurd number of non-senior players that went undrafted last year and now they have pretty poor prospects and no scholarship.

It would be a big blow to lose 31 or 88 but I'd be stoked to see some more gophers drafted high. Taking the long view it will help attract better recruits down the road. But seriously Maxx, just stay put.

The home and away schedule might make it "slightly" easier. Ohio State is a loss home or away so it doesn't really matter. Nebraska, Wisconsin, TCU, and Michigan at home are a nice break. Iowa on the road is probably the only negative.

Maybe a slightly easier schedule due to that, but not a huge difference overall.

If a player is projected to be drafted in the first two rounds IMO they should go. If not, they should stay put and work to improve their draft stock. There were an absurd number of non-senior players that went undrafted last year and now they have pretty poor prospects and no scholarship.

It would be a big blow to lose 31 or 88 but I'd be stoked to see some more gophers drafted high. Taking the long view it will help attract better recruits down the road. But seriously Maxx, just stay put.

Right. I guess I cannot speak for Murray.....but he came in with little to no hype. In fact.....did he even have another Power 5 offer? Seeing how he went from nowhere close to the NFL radar, to possibly being one of the first DB's off the board.....it wouldn't surprise to see him bolt. On the other hand.....considering what the coaching staff has helped to turn him into.....he may considering how high his ceiling could actually be if he stays. It's just the injury issue that is kind of scary. One bad break and and a player could completely destroy their chance at playing in the NFL. While not likely.....it does happen.

It would be foolish for Maxx to leave. He has tons to gain by staying another year or two to work on his game. Super high ceiling.....but it's too early.

88 is not leaving. Very few leave after sophomore year. He will graduate after next year and then may leave.

The sense is that Murray would end up staying. He's an awesome CB, but there are still things he needs to work on to improve himself. (Via Marcus Fuller)

Ohio State is a loss home or away so it doesn't really matter.

I hate when people say stuff like this. Obviously the Buckeyes are going to be tough to beat but I certainly don't think they're a team we can't possible defeat.

If Murray is a 1st or 2nd rounder it is pretty selfish to expect him to stay IMO. I said the same with Hageman after his junior year.

I hate when people say stuff like this. Obviously the Buckeyes are going to be tough to beat but I certainly don't think they're a team we can't possible defeat.

I was just trying to make the comparison simple. If we don't care whether Ohio State is at home or away, then I can see why someone might claim that our schedule next year is easier.

I was just trying to make the comparison simple. If we don't care whether Ohio State is at home or away, then I can see why someone might claim that our schedule next year is easier.

fair enough but you could have just said Ohio State doesn't really matter if it's home or away. It just really irks me when people claim a loss before the game has even been played.

fair enough but you could have just said Ohio State doesn't really matter if it's home or away. It just really irks me when people claim a loss before the game has even been played.

I probably should have said that instead. I don't think Ohio State is unbeatable. Just a habit of thinking I guess.

They predicted the same against Nebraska last year. You never know what can happen between now and then. Ohio St. looks really good right now, but the new QB tweaks a knee and they will be very beatable.

And they will be even easier to beat next year. JT Barrett and Braxton Miller will cause a great schism in the locker room. It will reach a tipping point in week 9 after their Rutgers game and the team will engage in a brutal, gruesome battle royale. Many key players will still be injured and out for the game against Minnesota in week 10. Book it.

I don't think you'll see a Juco CB. We're set. We NEED a Juco Safety. If Murray left we'd still have BBC & Jalen Myrick starting, with Craig James as the #3 guy. Unless a 5* Juco falls into our lap it's going to be pretty tough to leapfrog those three.

At Safety though, we have a potential problem 2 years from now. Ced Thompson & Grayson Levine graduate this year. That leaves Antonio Johnson, Demarious Travis & Duke McGhee next year with Johnson/Travis both graduating. We need to find a Juco to pair with McGhee immediately. That's why the staff is looking at Charlie Rodgers. He would come in, red shirt & then play his Jr & Sr years next to McGhee. This hole in our roster is the result of Khari Blasingame bailing on us at the last minute last recruiting cycle.

No FCS school on the schedule right now. 2 MAC schools and a road game at Colorado State, who has one loss right now, plus TCU isn't real encouraging.

Josh Norris has been raving about David Cobb in recent weeks, just check his Twitter timeline.

He'll probably end up being a 3rd-4th round pick simply because RBs aren't valued very high in the NFL, and has a pretty high ceiling IMO. Him and Mckinnon would make a good pair, I think.

I don't think he'll be drafted that high. I was thinking more like 5th-6th. He'll drop in some eyes due to a lack of speed, especially compared to some of the other RBs in the class. However, I think he could wind up as one of the best pros in the class because of his versatility. He's already being compared to Le'Veon Bell.

I think the way the schedule lays out next year (home/away) and order of games plays into our favor over this year, where we had TCU away and we have our four toughest conference games all in a row all in November.

Jay Norris thinks rd 4-5 possible. Walterfootball rd 5-7 but hasn't been updated in a few weeks. CBSsports.com rd 4.

I couldn't be happier for David. In the space of 14 months to go from the doghouse to starter to projected free agent to likely making a few million over the next few years. The future is bright. And to top it off he'll likely break the single season rushing record at MN if he can just stay healthy.

Top Bottom