Votes: 92 55.8%
  • 9-3 (6-2) and a bowl loss

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • 9-3 (6-2) and a bowl win

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • 10+ wins

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters
Yeah even re-calibrating to this point in the year, 8-4 + bowl win is still a "successful" season. >.500 in B1G play, a win over one of [Iowa/OSU/Neb/WI] would by definition be in there, and hitting the 9th win on the year via Jerry's first bowl win. All successes and progress forward.

I had to keep myself from choosing one of the 9-3 options. That's obviously an achievable goal (taking 2 of those 4 games isn't THAT outrageous), and certainly given the parity in the league this year I'd love to take advantage - who knows when an opportunity like this will present itself again. If you told me we would finish the year 9-3, 6-2 in the Big Ten before the season, with that record potentially putting us in the Big Ten CG (depending on who we beat/lose to/other team records), winning likely two trophy games (of 3), I would have been ecstatic beyond measure. That's obviously what I'm hoping for, but I won't be disappointed by 8-4 + bowl win.

I think one more win and the season is considered a "success" in my eyes (I predicted between 6-8 victories @ the start of the year). 2 more wins and we impossibly equal last year's dramatic season. Any more than 2 more wins and we should start building the Kill statue (note - all my projections are NOT counting bowl games).

I think one more win and the season is considered a "success" in my eyes (I predicted between 6-8 victories @ the start of the year). 2 more wins and we impossibly equal last year's dramatic season. Any more than 2 more wins and we should start building the Kill statue (note - all my projections are NOT counting bowl games).

I just can't get on board with calling a season a "success" if we end it on a four game losing streak and drop two trophies to teams currently ranked beneath us (actually not ranked at all, in either poll).

I just can't get on board with calling a season a "success" if we end it on a four game losing streak and drop two trophies to teams currently ranked beneath us (actually not ranked at all, in either poll).

8 wins (even with no bowl W) would mean we lost at most 3 of the last 4, and it would likely mean winning one of the 2 trophy games remaining on the schedule since NE/OSU look a huge step above IA/WI. We'd finish the year with 2 of 3 trophies and a 5-3 BT record. How many times has that happened in the last 30 years?

8 wins (even with no bowl W) would mean we lost at most 3 of the last 4, and it would likely mean winning one of the 2 trophy games remaining on the schedule since NE/OSU look a huge step above IA/WI. We'd finish the year with 2 of 3 trophies and a 5-3 BT record. How many times has that happened in the last 30 years?

I was responding to Homer's post saying that "one more win and the season is considered a 'success' in my eyes'". I assumed that if we only got one more win, it would be to Illinois.

Don't really care how they get the wins. 8 wins is definitely a moderate success Illinois plus any one more. 9 wins is a success. 10+ wins is a major success.

The only way this season isn't a success is if you beat Illinois and lose the rest or somehow lose to Illinois.

Lets' get to a 6 win Big Ten Season. That's something they've only done four times since 1960 and the last time was in 1973!!!

Now that would a a great and successful season.

A bowl win. Sick of ending the season on a sour note.

At the start of the year I would have taken 7-5 on perceived strength of schedule.

Apologies for cliche, but just taking it one game at a time now we 6-1 - if we stay healthy I honestly believe we can win 9 or 10 but, with more key injuries on either line or at QB, we might struggle down the stretch.

Whatever happens, have really enjoyed the season thus far and feel proud of how the players and coaches have moved the program forwards.

I see what you're saying, and I admit it will be hard to view this as being successful during the theoretical 4-game losing streak. I guess my point was that, looking back upon things in the bigger picture, a 7 win season following an 8 win season is a pretty successful run for our Gophers. I'm still not convinced we'll be favored in any of the last 4 games. Iowa, obviously, is the most likely and I could see the line being anywhere from Gophers -2 to Iowa -2.

I see what you're saying, and I admit it will be hard to view this as being successful during the theoretical 4-game losing streak. I guess my point was that, looking back upon things in the bigger picture, a 7 win season following an 8 win season is a pretty successful run for our Gophers. I'm still not convinced we'll be favored in any of the last 4 games. Iowa, obviously, is the most likely and I could see the line being anywhere from Gophers -2 to Iowa -2.
It's been said before, but you reeeaaalllly need to change your moniker.

I'd like Floyd and the Axe but just playing on new years day would be enough for me. Win the west and that should happen.

Need to get Floyd or the Axe (assuming a win at Illinois this week). Then, it's all gravy.

I really want to see the Gophs win a bowlgame this year- and carry the momentum into 2015. Given the choice between 9-3 and lose the bowl game, or 8-4 and win the bowl game, I'll take the 2nd option. 9 wins overall + a bowl win is a success in my book. (mind you, I'd love to see 9-3 and win the bowl game, but I don't want to push my luck.

8 wins.. I like how everyone now changes there thoughts from the beginning of the season

Why not? We didn't know what to expect coming into the season. That goes for both the Gophers and their opponents. Looking at a probable 7-1 start.......expectations change.

Iowa is a team with a lot of offensive shortcomings, that lost most of their big time D players and has shown they have not re-stocked the lost talent. Wisconsin is very questionable, so that is why I would not be shocked to see 10-2 and a bowl win. Nebraska can be beaten, and with a talented, but offensively limited OSU team coming into TCF facing a very likely 8-1 rabid team and fan base, anything is possible this year.

Beating Iowa should happen and Wisconsin is ready to fall. One or better of the remaining two in OSU or Nebraska could happen.

This could be the year that 2003 was supposed to be, but 8-4 or heaven forbid, 7-5 could happen as well. Of course half this board predicted 7-5 earlier this year.

My assumption is that there will be a thumping in Champaign on Saturday to get win# 7, then everything else is a crapshoot, especially considering the the inability of this staff to deal with Iowa the last two years. The last two losses to Iowa, early in the year or not, were very disturbing, but those were early in the year, and this team tends to improve.

The Iowa game will define the season, but no one is gong to steamroll Kill's Gopher teams like the old, horrible days, so we have a chance in every game.

Why not? We didn't know what to expect coming into the season. That goes for both the Gophers and their opponents. Looking at a probable 7-1 start.......expectations change.

Anyone who thought we would end the season with 7-8 wins had to of thought we would start 7-1... Just saying. Not sure how beating the teams we were suppose to beat and winning one big game (Michigan) and losing to our one real opponent (TCU) should change our expectations.

Anyone who thought we would end the season with 7-8 wins had to of thought we would start 7-1... Just saying. Not sure how beating the teams we were suppose to beat and winning one big game (Michigan) and losing to our one real opponent (TCU) should change our expectations.

Because lots of teams slip up against beatable teams. I think a lot of 7-8 win scenarios would have included an upset late in the season and a slip-up somewhere along the way against a weaker team (much like last year where we lost to a Michigan team that ended up going 3-5 and beat a Nebraska team that went 6-2). Now that we have 6 wins already in the bank, and some of our opponents look vulnerable (who would have predicted Wisconsin being unranked at this time in the season?), it is time to upgrade. Also, at the time those predictions were made, a lot of people thought Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin were better than they are (none of them are receiving votes in either poll now, edit: it looks like Gary Anderson has Wisconsin ranked 9th in the Coach's poll, so they have 17 votes).

We can get to 9-3 by just beating the teams ranked below and not needing to knock off anyone ranked above us.

I chose 8-4, with a bowl loss. However, in my mind I had to qualify the bowl loss as equating to playing a competitive game against a good team - something like a 24-20 L to a top 25 team. Here was my thought process:

1. Expectations going into this season generally had the Gophers going 7-5, or possibly even 6-6. Going 8-4 would mean that the team met and exceeded expectations going into the year. That's one brick.
2. Beating Michigan, at Michigan. We all know how long it has been since we beat the Wolverines, and it doesn't matter to me whether they are in a down year or not. Many of the W's they got were over weak Gopher teams, and nobody is discounting those as part of the streak. We have the jug, and we won it on the road which is a sign of improvement; another brick.
3. The first successful comeback win this past week over Purdue. This is another sign of improvement, especially as it relates to the mental side of the game. Another brick.
4. The defense has been relatively solid and consistent, even with multiple injuries to what most of us thought was not a deep DL squad going into the season. Another brick
5. Somewhat related to #5, we have had a number of underclassmen step up and play relatively well, especially on D and special teams. When counting redshirt sophomores, the list includes Leidner (inconsistent early, but improving as the year goes along), Jack Lynn, and Maxx (we expected him to play well, but he's still a rSO). It even looks like Jones and Wolitarsky are starting to get a few more looks, and are making some solid plays when called upon. Signs of improving talent and depth. Brick #5.
6. KJ Maye caught a TD pass! Whether that turns out to be an aberration or the start of a trend to get the JR wideout more involved, it was refreshing to see Mitch make a beautiful throw, and KJ make the kind of play we've been waiting for with that dive for the end zone. I'm counting this as another brick (#6) added to the foundation that Jerry and the team are building together.
7. Keeping the redshirts on Holland and Gentry (knock on wood). In the past at least one of these two would have been forced into action, either due to injury or weak play by the veterans. While our WR corps doesn't strike fear into opposing defenses, the core group has played well enough to allow these youngsters to have full year to learn the system and acclimate to both school and the B1G. While it's no guarantee that either player will be successful, it emulates what the consistently good programs do - redshirt talented players so that the overall depth of the team stays solid. This applies to other positions where we've kept some redshirts, but WR has been a major topic of conversation and a source of anxiety on this board. Brick #7 (this applies to the overall trend of keeping redshirts, not solely on Holland and Gentry).
8. Losing Marcus Jones and still seeing some big plays out of the KR game. Myrick is only a SO, and yet he's made an impact by showing he's a real weapon that opponents have to prepare for every week. Craig James has been solid in catching punts and not repeating mistakes. Brick #8.

So - would I be happy with 8-4 and a loss in a bowl? I can't say just yet, as it depends on how the team plays in the remaining games (and whether they stay healthy or not). But, as it stands the performance so far this season shows that this team is improved and is going in the right direction. All things considered, I'm willing to call 8-4 with a (competitive) bowl loss a success.

Go Gophers!

Being that I picked us 6-6 and 7-5 best case, we are about right where I thought we would be. Thus I picked 8-4 with a L against a tough bowl opponent.

I expected to end the season with 4 L's. My hope now is for a W against the Illini and then getting either the Pig or the Axe.

This team has been fun to watch and has overcome a lot of concerns. Big plays have been a huge boost. But we are fairly young squad that hasn't really beaten a good team. I don't put the Illini or Iowa in that category. But OSU and at the Huskers and Wisky is a very tough gig.

So if you were to ask those people who guessed six or seven wins this season (there were plenty)......would their predictions change? Many though that our schedule was much more difficult this season, and that eight wins would be an uphill battle.

I thought Michigan would stink and Wisconsin was likely to struggle and both those things have happened. I underestimated TCU and Purdue. Both much better than I expected. Iowa I thought would be stable to improved. So far they are a little down but still dangerous.

I was optimistic for a 9 win season. After the TCU game I admit I would have been very happy if we could get to 8 wins. Based on the last few games and TCU turning out to be an elite team I'm more optimistic we can still beat Iowa and Wisconsin and get to 9 wins, 10 with a bowl game. Anything beyond 9 wins I will chip in for Kill's statue.

I thought we would struggle a little on defense without Rashede. I thought we would be better on offense. I did expect Cobb to have a monstrous season and Leidner to be better. So far the defense has been as good or better than last year (eye test, stats may tell different stories) and the offense has been similar but is trending up and Leidner has shown some flashes but is a work in progress.

My thoughts are still the same. 8 wins total, bowl game included. The way we are playing I just don't have confidence we'll get there. Losing 6 strait would be a catastrophic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would still agree that success is 8 wins in regular season. If we finish 6-6 it would be a complete failure and definitely a huge step back for the entire program

Going 6-6 and losing a bowl game would leave us 6-7. A losing record for those of you who weren't math majors.

My thoughts are still the same. 8 wins total, bowl game included. The way we are playing I just don't have confidence we'll get there. Losing 6 strait would be a catastrophic.

I feel terrible even thinking about this, but are we looking at a new coach on the sideline next season if we end up 6-7?

Top Bottom