Chicago bar to watch the Illinois game?

We're Comin'

Reaction score
I will be in Chicago next weekend, I would love to go to a Gopher bar...any ideas?

well blackfinn downtown is the new UMAA meeting spot. Red ivy in wrigleyville is the old... other than that, any illinois bar would work.

I subscribe to the Chicago Gopher Gamewatch Club on Facebook and they mention Red Ivy for the game next week.

All my friends go to the Red Ivy (and they are a blast). I went there last year, they were really good to Gophers fans, and even though we don't have a huge following, still make our games a priority. Gotta love a nice place like that!

Red Ivy is up in Wrigleyville right next to Wrigley Field so there is typically a younger more collegiate crowd there, a little rowdy and fun! Blackfinn is more "upscale", in River North very close to the Loop downtown. I've been to both for the gamewatches, Blackfin food is better, alumni are welcome to bring their kids for the games. The UMAA also typically does raffles for gear at Blackfinn as well.

Both are fun, just depends on your crowd! Cheers, and enjoy your stay in Chicago.

I went to Blackfinn for the opener and was quite disappointed for the following reasons:
1) Blackfinn is home to other colleges as well which leads me to a very disappointing #2
2) They played the South Carolina game sound instead of the Gopher game sound
3) the service was terrible (might have been bad b/c it was Thursday night and the place was packed for the two games)
4) Blackfinn did play the Rouser after touchdowns, but it was a terrible version of the Rouser

the good:
1) They do have cheap drinks for the area which is nice
2) there was a nice group of Gopher fans

I have not been back since as I have either been at the games or out of town. I expect Blackfinn to be much much better. If Blackfinn isn't any good, I would suggest going to Public House for the entire day of football. otherwise, finding an illini bar would be fun too.

If you are in Chicago, you should just go to the game. It's only 2 hours away from downtown.

Top Bottom