SB Nation Bowl Projections

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Minnesota pegged in the Outback Bowl 1/1/15 vs. Mizzou.

They have us going to a Tier-2 bowl with Penn State going to the Tier-1 Holiday Bowl? Color me confused.

Bowl selection has lots of wiggle room and it doesn't have to follow conference standing. It's more about money and who will bring the fans. PSU is also more of a national name (somewhat for dubious reasons) and may draw more viewership. I could see Minnesota beating Iowa and having as many or more wins or having one more win than PSU and still getting a lower bowl bid than either of those two.

I'm not too upset. I'd rather see another team get stuck with a top four SEC team.

ESPN Bowl Projections:

Chick-fil-A Peach/AT&T Cotton/Fiesta/Capital One Orange: Michigan State
Chick-fil-A Peach/AT&T Cotton/Fiesta/Capital One Orange: Ohio State
Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus: Nebraska
Outback: Minnesota
National University Holiday: Maryland
TaxSlayer/Franklin American Mortgage Music City: Wisconsin
San Francisco: Rutgers
New Era Pinstripe: Iowa
Quick Lane: Penn State
Heart of Dallas: Northwestern

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/109404/big-ten-bowl-projections-week-8-5

Go Gophers!!

Bowl selection has lots of wiggle room and it doesn't have to follow conference standing. It's more about money and who will bring the fans. PSU is also more of a national name (somewhat for dubious reasons) and may draw more viewership. I could see Minnesota beating Iowa and having as many or more wins or having one more win than PSU and still getting a lower bowl bid than either of those two.

I'm not too upset. I'd rather see another team get stuck with a top four SEC team.
The rules have changed ,The B1G sets Bowl Tiers now, a tier one bowl cannot select a tier two team. There is no way, PSU will be a tier one team, so it's not going to be going to a tier one bowl.

Rittenberg mentions this in his predictions:

"Another factor is the Big Ten taking more control of the game assignments this year, rather than leaving it up to the bowls, who often prioritize brand name and size of fan base over on-field results. The league wants better, fresher matchups and no repeat appearances, if at all possible."

My understanding is that Penn State could go to a "better" bowl than the Gophers with a worse record, but only if we are both in the same tier.

Tier 1: Citrus, Outback, Holiday
Tier 2: Gator/Music City, San Francisco, Pinstripe
Tier 3: Detroit, Dallas

Rittenberg mentions this in his predictions:

"Another factor is the Big Ten taking more control of the game assignments this year, rather than leaving it up to the bowls, who often prioritize brand name and size of fan base over on-field results. The league wants better, fresher matchups and no repeat appearances, if at all possible."

I didn't know that. I hope that is true, because it's about time. Still, I'd rather not see Minnesota go to Outback and face the 4th or 5th best SEC team. Remember that most of us felt cheated by the bowl selection last year but it's hard to complain that you were too lightly regarded when you lost to a 6-6 team.

I have been really disappointed with the media's coverage of the new Big Ten bowl lineup. The best write up on the adjustments and new format is from SBNation, which is often hit or miss. Someone from a credible, established new outlet needs to come in and write an in-depth profile on the new system with access to a Big Ten spokesperson to bounce questions off of.

On a related note: I recently exchanged tweets with an Iowa beat-writer named Scott Dochter and he stated that the Big Ten LOSES their tie-in to the Citrus Bowl (formerly the Capital One Bowl). I have not been able to find any information to support his claim.

A link to our conversation: https://twitter.com/ScottDochterman/status/524045651760267266

(Apologies for tiny picture size, as you can likely tell I am a GH Rookie)

Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 11.00.20 PM.jpg

On a related note: I recently exchanged tweets with an Iowa beat-writer named Scott Dochter and he stated that the Big Ten LOSES their tie-in to the Citrus Bowl (formerly the Capital One Bowl). I have not been able to find any information to support his claim.

A link to our conversation: https://twitter.com/ScottDochterman/status/524045651760267266

(Apologies for tiny picture size, as you can likely tell I am a GH Rookie)

View attachment 2996

This has been well documented.

The playoff contract is for 12 years. All of the major 6 bowls will serve as semi-finals in 4 of those years. In the 8 years that the Orange Bowl is NOT a semi-final, the ACC champion will play a team from either the Big Ten, SEC, or Notre Dame. The contract states that 3 BIG teams must be picked during these 8 years, 3 times it will be the SEC, and ND can go twice.

During the THREE seasons out of the next TWELVE that a BIG teams is selected for the Orange, the ACC will replace the B1G and play the SEC in the Cap One/Citrus/whatever the hell it's called now in Orlando.

This has been well documented.

The playoff contract is for 12 years. All of the major 6 bowls will serve as semi-finals in 4 of those years. In the 8 years that the Orange Bowl is NOT a semi-final, the ACC champion will play a team from either the Big Ten, SEC, or Notre Dame. The contract states that 3 BIG teams must be picked during these 8 years, 3 times it will be the SEC, and ND can go twice.

During the THREE seasons out of the next TWELVE that a BIG teams is selected for the Orange, the ACC will replace the B1G and play the SEC in the Cap One/Citrus/whatever the hell it's called now in Orlando.

Would it be fair to say that Gophers fans and Big Ten fans everywhere should be rooting for MSU and tOSU to be selected for "BCS" games other than the Orange Bowl? Because if tOSU or Michigan State are selected for the Orange Bowl that only leaves two "Tier-1" bowls available for the Big Ten, correct? And everyone else essentially gets bumped down one spot?

This is true, but as pointed out, the Big Ten isn't really "losing" the Citrus Bowl - just trading it for the Orange Bowl three times over the next 12 years. In years the Orange Bowl is not a playoff semifinal (such as this year), the Big Ten champion is not eligible for that game, though the runner-up could be.

Phil Steele is back: https://www.philsteele.com/bowls/14-15/bowlprojections.html

Cotton Bowl: Ohio State vs TCU
Peach Bowl: Michigan State vs Georgia
Citrus Bowl: Nebraska vs Auburn
Outback Bowl: Wisconsin vs Missouri
Holiday Bowl: Maryland vs USC
TaxSlayer Bowl: Iowa vs LSU
San Francisco Bowl: Minnesota vs Arizona
Pinstripe Bowl: Rutgers vs Georgia Tech
Quick Lane Bowl: Penn State vs Pitt
Heart of Dallas Bowl: Northwestern vs Texas

Phil Steele is back: https://www.philsteele.com/bowls/14-15/bowlprojections.html

First thing I noticed was no Iowa. So I checked the link and he has them in the Gator Bowl.

I could easily see all of these things happen, though I think the Big Ten office will step in and prevent Rutgers from playing in the Pinstripe Bowl for a third time in four seasons.

First thing I noticed was no Iowa. So I checked the link and he has them in the Gator Bowl.

I could easily see all of these things happen, though I think the Big Ten office will step in and prevent Rutgers from playing in the Pinstripe Bowl for a third time in four seasons.

Oops. Fixed that.

How do they determine which teams are in each tier?

I'm guessing payout? How much money the bowl gives each team, which allows teams to support more
of a traveling crowd, ie the band, staffers, parents etc.

I remember one year when we went to the Music City bowl (again) the payout was so limited that they bussed
the band down to Nashville...

USA Today picks Minnesota versus USC in the Holiday Bowl.

Dec. 27HolidayBig Ten vs. Pac-12Minnesota vs. Southern California

<tbody style="border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">
</tbody>

TaxSlayer Bowl: Iowa vs LSU

There are some good chances to beat some good SEC teams there. The only way to get the B1G some respect is to win bowl games.

Top Bottom