Definition Of A Catch

There's a few things here:
1. It was an obvious catch and fumble. This was the worst non-overturn by replay I've ever seen, and I can't even remember something close. Usually, there's at least some shade of gray - ball with a slight bobble, only 1 1/2 steps, something that could lead to an inexplicable non-overturn - but on this play there was nothing. At this point, I was wondering what the grounds were for playing a game under protest. Not that I would've even advocated doing so, but I was so exasperated because...what got me is the Back Judge had the worst angle of the play(it was right in front of him but our player would have blocked any vision he would have had) so he blew his whistle without seeing the play and just thought he saw it. At half they must have looked at it and said oops we Fadgered that one and allowed for the roughing the kicker and the personal foul that extended our drive int he 2nd half. I would say give us the fumble and the chance to score. it eliminates their FG and we most likely score changing the whole game.

2. This came only a few plays after the "fumble" by Cobb that also should've been overturned. Now here, I wasn't quite as irate as even though the stadium replay showed the ball coming out because A. it was in the middle of players with mostly bad camera angles B. it's possible the ball was wiggling slightly before Cobb's elbow hit the turf (couldn't really see it or not on the board
yeah this goes with the above. how do you call a fumble without seeing the play? they woudl have had to be inside the scrum to see what happened and in fact you could do that in almost every pile up on the field.
3. What's with the 3 illegal formation penalties on XPs (2 on us, 1 on Purdue)? This is like the 3 illegal linemen downfield calls last week. Illegal formation is something you could pretty much call on just about every XP/FG if you wanted to. Moreover, the XP is a near-automatic play. Re-running it just allows for injuries. Stupid, stupid, point of emphasis if that's what it was. Yes, yes, we should've made the XP from 5 yards back, but seriously, we shouldn't have had to.

on replay i think they called the one penalty on Pirsig and his butt was so far back. Ref dude you are supposed to look at the helmets and make sure they are at the level of the center. in this case due to Pirsig's long body his head was where it was supposed to and it just looks odd. the other one on Campion was wrong too and not sure what the refs are trying to point out.
4. The "fumble" by Leidner that did get overturned on replay was ludicrous. Leidner almost had 2 knees down the ball came out so late. Thankfully the booth got this one right, but it shouldn't have gone that far.

This was the worst reffed game I can remember. They pay these guys but they weren't even watching close enough on at least 3 key plays to correctly identify a fumble or not, and then the ridiculous emphasis on formation on XPs. What a joke. Thank goodness we won or I'd really be pissed.
We notice how bad the games are getting reffed in our games but it is a problem across the whole college football arena. not sure how to fix it as they are truely getting thins wrong and replay is a joke if they are not going to over turn a call because it would be difficult to explain why they called it wrong or how to fix the screw up.

A month ago, I never would've written what I'm about to write here now. But it was on Gopherhole that I read a thread about how it was fairly obvious to many people (including JERRY KILL HIMSELF, who stated that he had a pretty good notion why the schedules were designed the way they were this year by the Big Ten) that the Big Ten had come up with a schedule that apparently favored Ohio State or some other team (can't remember the details) so that they could represent our conference in the National Championship playoff.

Why would it be so far-fetched then to believe that the Big Ten has gone one step further by telling referees to do their best to ensure that certain teams win and other teams don't. Given the excellent review by Gopher Elephant above, it seems sort of obvious to me that something strange was going on in the officiating on Saturday. I don't believe I'm one to subscribe to conspiracy theories, and I've been called naive on several occasions in this life, so it takes alot to get me to believe that the higher ups in the world would cheat with something this meaningless in the grand scheme of national affairs.

I'm dying to know. How many of you out there believe that the Big Ten had somehow, in some way, communicated to the referees of Saturday's game that they didn't want Minnesota to win? Now that I write this, it seems sort of stupid to me. It's probably more likely that the Big Ten officials don't even consider Minnesota a legitimate threat to win much. And, maybe they couldn't care less who wins what in Big Ten football.

I think the only time I would legitimately be worried about the fairness of officiating would be in a Big Ten Title game, say 10-2 Minnesota vs 11-1 Michigan St (I can dream, right?). But in a regular season game between MN-Purdue there is no way this is entering the picture.

That being said, the officiating was so poor all game long that I really hope the Big Ten takes a long hard look at it. There needs to be some accountability, the reffing on Saturday was completely unacceptable (and I'll include the non-roughing the punter in there to not be a complete homer.)

Tough call could have gone either way.. Second foot was landing as hit occurred... I would have called it no catch as well during my games. Once it was ruled incomplete there was not enough to over turning it.

So many bad, potentially game-changing calls in the Gopher games the past few weeks; ALL of them went against the Gophers through Michigan and Northwestern games and the first half of the Purdue game. They overcame opponent #12 in the first two games; but #12 helped beat them up to a 20-31 halftime deficit in the latest one.

Then a funny thing happened. For the first time in my cognizant memory, the Gophers actually got the benefit of questionable calls in a Big Ten game in that second half - well, at least one very important one (roughing the punter). It is doubtful that had #12 remained against them all of the second half Saturday, that they could have overcome him once again.

Perhaps an important question to ask is, why is it so hard for the Gopher football team to get a fairly called Big Ten game? Why is the anti-Gopher bias in the Big Ten so blatant? It sometimes appears that they really don't even try to hide it.

I'm dying to know. How many of you out there believe that the Big Ten had somehow, in some way, communicated to the referees of Saturday's game that they didn't want Minnesota to win? Now that I write this, it seems sort of stupid to me. It's probably more likely that the Big Ten officials don't even consider Minnesota a legitimate threat to win much. And, maybe they couldn't care less who wins what in Big Ten football.

They even went as far as to have a MN resident put a white hat on to throw us all off.

So many bad, potentially game-changing calls in the Gopher games the past few weeks; ALL of them went against the Gophers through Michigan and Northwestern games and the first half of the Purdue game. They overcame opponent #12 in the first two games; but #12 helped beat them up to a 20-31 halftime deficit in the latest one.

Then a funny thing happened. For the first time in my cognizant memory, the Gophers actually got the benefit of questionable calls in a Big Ten game in that second half - well, at least one very important one (roughing the punter). It is doubtful that had #12 remained against them all of the second half Saturday, that they could have overcome him once again.

Perhaps an important question to ask is, why is it so hard for the Gopher football team to get a fairly called Big Ten game? Why is the anti-Gopher bias in the Big Ten so blatant? It sometimes appears that they really don't even try to hide it.

This same thread happens in every conference. I saw tweet after tweet ripping Pac12 officials over the weekend. Officials are human and officiate at real speed.

Let's remember that Purdue got a 15 yd penalty that could have been overlooked. The drive ended in us making a 52 yd FG. We may have roughed the punter. Wells left the bench and was not flagged or ejected. Northwestern has a big play called back on a illegal formation last week.

Officials are expected to be correct on 99% of snap infractions ( offsides, illegal formations, false starts, etc.). Other calls are all judgement based on seeing the okay at the right angle.

You can only have 4 in the offensive backfield. All other players need to break the belt line of the center. If not, it's a foul.

Top Bottom