Unsportsmanlike Penalty

bigticket1

Reaction score
When Wilson got flagged for the push after Thompson got drilled , did the officials not notice that Wells came off the bench to get involved in the play ? I'm not sure what the penalty is for coming off the bench , but you would think it should have been a minimum of a 15 yard penalty with the possibility of an ejection.

Just one of a myriad of calls that the collection of misfits the league called "officials" got blatantly wrong.

At the moment I thought it was a stupid act that could of lost us the game... But now that the gophers won I believe it was good of him to step up for his teammates!

When Wilson got flagged for the push after Thompson got drilled , did the officials not notice that Wells came off the bench to get involved in the play ? I'm not sure what the penalty is for coming off the bench , but you would think it should have been a minimum of a 15 yard penalty with the possibility of an ejection.

I'd love to know what head coaches say to their players about penalties like this. I'm stunned that players still do this stuff. If I were a head coach, I'd tell my players that penalties like this almost always end up determining the outcome of a close game, and that if one of our players ever commits a penalty like this they will not play the rest of the year. To my way of thinking, it's the single most selfish and unnecessary thing a player can do to his teammates. To rip a victory out of your teammates hands simply because you wanted to push or hit a guy after the play is over is 100% unacceptable to me.

We very well may have won this game today simply because Purdue's defensive back went off on KJ Maye for no reason which kept our game winning drive alive. It's beyond comprehension.

If I were head coach, every day at the beginning of practice and the end of practice, the night before a game, in my pre-game speech, and in my half-time talk, I'd remind my players that if they dare commit a ridiculous penalty like this which could cost us a game, they might as well just leave the program. I can tolerate just about anything else, but not that.

Watching it back, 33 from Purdon't should have pulled up, but there was nothing illegal about the hit. If the QB stays in bounds, I don't think it's a penalty. Wells just got in his face. Wilson barely touched him and he went down. Nice flop. Thompson got the last laugh.

I don't know what it is you can tolerate or even why you think you know what you'd tolerate as a coach, but one thing you can't do is scale the punishment out of proportion with the offense. Selfish penalties are tough to deal with, but the bench for an entire season for one bad mistake is out of proportion and may inhibit some team aggressiveness and physicality. Nobody wants to make a mistake and lose their season.

I'd love to know what head coaches say to their players about penalties like this. I'm stunned that players still do this stuff. If I were a head coach, I'd tell my players that penalties like this almost always end up determining the outcome of a close game, and that if one of our players ever commits a penalty like this they will not play the rest of the year. To my way of thinking, it's the single most selfish and unnecessary thing a player can do to his teammates. To rip a victory out of your teammates hands simply because you wanted to push or hit a guy after the play is over is 100% unacceptable to me.

We very well may have won this game today simply because Purdue's defensive back went off on KJ Maye for no reason which kept our game winning drive alive. It's beyond comprehension.

If I were head coach, every day at the beginning of practice and the end of practice, the night before a game, in my pre-game speech, and in my half-time talk, I'd remind my players that if they dare commit a ridiculous penalty like this which could cost us a game, they might as well just leave the program. I can tolerate just about anything else, but not that.

If you rewatch the game. Listen closely after that penalty. You can hear coach kill SCREAMING, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?!" So that is what the coach says to the player.

Wells needs to get his head out of his ass. Not a very good showing for #3 out there today

Bad calls all around, legal hits by both Purdont players were flagged, neither should have been flagged, the HUGE one was the the completely legal knockdown of Maye. If Maye hadn't landed on top of the ref's feet it probably wouldn't have been called at all.

Too much celebrating by players today, but I am glad the refs didn't throw flags on any of those.

I don't know what it is you can tolerate or even why you think you know what you'd tolerate as a coach, but one thing you can't do is scale the punishment out of proportion with the offense. Selfish penalties are tough to deal with, but the bench for an entire season for one bad mistake is out of proportion and may inhibit some team aggressiveness and physicality. Nobody wants to make a mistake and lose their season.

See Smith, Tubby

The penalty on Purdue was valid, imo. I don't think you are allowed to plaster a guy who is not involved in the play, even if the play is still going on. In this case, even though CT was near the WR, the WR was heading out of bounds and it was clear CT was not going to have any further impact on the play.

Not sure about Wells... Would he normally come on the field for receiving a punt? If so, then may it was ok he came out.

They have the 'Unnecessary Roughness' penalty for a reason, things like this that were unnecessary. #33 didn't need to de-cleat him and should have pulled up, instead he took advantage of a defenseless (no pun intended for our terrible D) player.

Just got to watch the game. That hit on Thompson was the worst thing a Purdue player could have done, and he picked the absolute worst player to do it to. Did anyone notice Purdue got one first down after that and it was by about 6 inches. That play jacked the Gopher players up so much because that is the undisputed leader on that defense. You could see how much those guys love C. Thompson. Then to come back and make that pick? Hell of a leader that guy. Side note, was Kill yelling at Wells, or the Purdue guy who made the hit. I thought it might have been the Purdue guy (you're thought is probably right though). Lastly, Maye getting hit like that on the opposite side of the field after an incomplete pass IS a penalty, usually every time.

I hear what you're saying and understand your position. It makes sense.

I'll try to clarify. I can tolerate a roughing the kicker penalty that costs us the game, or roughing the passer, or a late hit, or an out of bounds hit, or an unnecessary holding penalty or jumping offsides for not knowing the count penalty, all of which end up costing us the game. I don't want to inhibit my players from playing aggressively and I wouldn't punish them for a mental football mistake. In my opinion, that all goes with the territory and is part of the game. I would feel for my player in that type of case and know that it was the last thing in the world he intended.

But, if one of my players got into an altercation after the play, or sought revenge, or was "defending" himself or one of his teammates after the play was over, and ended up getting a penalty that cost us the game, I would come down very hard on that player. That's what I, personally, could not tolerate.

But, I would take responsibility to train them on a daily basis to never incur such a costly penalty. Everyday before and after practice, during our evening talk before a game, during my pre-game speech and my half-time talk, I would pose this question to my team: "gentleman, what are you going to do every single time an opponent tries to pick a fight with you, pushes you down after a play is over, makes a dirty hit on you, calls your mother a whore and your grandmother a slut, tells you you're a pussy, calls you a no-good-chicken-sh$t Gopher, tells you your coach is a "freak", drags you by your face mask across the field, mashes your face into the ground underneath the pile, what are you going to do for your team, your coaches, your school and your State"? Then, I would require them to shout "we're going to just walk away Coach".

I realize I'm being a little or a lot goofy here. But knowing that one penalty like this could, however unlikely, cost us a game, which could cost us a championship, which could cost us a certain bowl berth, I would believe it's worth the extra minute or two to do something like this.

I'm guessing there are one or two coaches out there in the country at some level who could look back and tell you how a ridiculous, temper-related and non-playing penalty cost them not only one game, but a championship, or a playoff berth, or an undefeated season, or the chance to play one more game for a group of seniors, or something like that.

Now that I've written this, I realize I'm making too big a deal here, but I'm hoping you get my point.

Sometimes, being a "tough guy" means that you are tough enough to have the discipline to not react even when you really want to, because you know what's at stake. In some situations, just make a note of the guy's number. Its a physical game, you'll get a chance to clean his clock at some point down the line when the play is actually going on.

Sometimes, being a "tough guy" means that you are tough enough to have the discipline to not react even when you really want to, because you know what's at stake. In some situations, just make a note of the guy's number. Its a physical game, you'll get a chance to clean his clock at some point down the line when the play is actually going on.

Agree. It's an emotional game, but discipline and composure matter.

Agreed. The real tough guy walks away and gets 15 yards against the opponent instead of giving it back with offsetting penalties.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Being tough and doing something stupid are two different things. I think that players should be especially careful when you have Barney Fife type referees, the ones who nail you for minor violations (alignment for an extra point) and miss a player coming off the bench to join an altercation (Wells' move deserved 15 yards). We were lucky to win, let's learn from those errors that could have cost us the game.

Top Bottom