Mitch Leidner

We have a bearded "linebacker in the body of a tight end" playing quarterback who lobs ugly-a$$ passes and I love every minute of it.

6-1 baby.

Ditto that with enthusiasm - Mitch has made some real strides in the past few games. We do have a passing attack!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!
I thought about this watching the replay. Every main receiver had a big play in this game (maybe with the exception of Cobb, but I think he got his).

Mitch is improving, however right now all of his success is a result of our outstanding running game. Lets see how he does when the running game is not there, and our hopes are riding on his arm.

Mitch's QBR has increased steadily through the first three Big Ten games (TCU game best forgotten) and has been in the 80s (thats really good) the last few games. It's happening (no Ron Paul gif -sorry).

Mitch is improving, however right now all of his success is a result of our outstanding running game. Lets see how he does when the running game is not there, and our hopes are riding on his arm.

Arguably yesterday in the second half, down two scores when pounding the rock would have burned too much clock.

Keep on moving the bar...

Great quote from Mitch on his non-fumble (it was overturned)

“I knew it was down when it first happened,” Leidner said. “But I was just like, ‘Oh man, Coach Z [quarterbacks coach Jim Zebrowski] is not going to be happy with this.’ ”

To start. I'm sure I could name more. He's not good. It's ok to admit it.

I get why people were concerned coming out of non-con, but I don't get people who are unable to change their minds ever. You decided that Leidner isn't good and aren't even able to let the fact that he playing great change that. Why? Sure he missed Maxx on a big 3rd down, but without 3 very long completions by Leidner in the 2nd half we lose by double digits. You guys watch the game and not just our total passing yards in the box score right?

He was at about 9 YPA yesterday, just like both other Big Ten games. So in other words, what the "Gophers can't pass" cats want is to see large (and totally unrelated to victory at all) VOLUME numbers. They want us to attempt more passes so Leidner's fantasy stat line looks better. People are just throwing random numbers out-we'll need to pass for XXX yards a game in November. Nope. We need to score points. Despite the fact that our current run/pass mix has us at 6-1/3-0 people want us to transform everything because no good reason. Do-kay.

Do you know what is okay to admit? Things which are true. Like, I was worried about the passing game but Mitch has looked good in conference play. Without an awesome 2nd half from Leidner yesterday Cobb's outstanding game goes to waste, the D's outstanding halftime adjustments go to waste, and there is no Santoso heroics.

I get why people were concerned coming out of non-con, but I don't get people who are unable to change their minds ever. You decided that Leidner isn't good and aren't even able to let the fact that he playing great change that. Why? Sure he missed Maxx on a big 3rd down, but without 3 very long completions by Leidner in the 2nd half we lose by double digits. You guys watch the game and not just our total passing yards in the box score right?

He was at about 9 YPA yesterday, just like both other Big Ten games. So in other words, what the "Gophers can't pass" cats want is to see large (and totally unrelated to victory at all) VOLUME numbers. They want us to attempt more passes so Leidner's fantasy stat line looks better. People are just throwing random numbers out-we'll need to pass for XXX yards a game in November. Nope. We need to score points. Despite the fact that our current run/pass mix has us at 6-1/3-0 people want us to transform everything because no good reason. Do-kay.

Do you know what is okay to admit? Things which are true. Like, I was worried about the passing game but Mitch has looked good in conference play. Without an awesome 2nd half from Leidner yesterday Cobb's outstanding game goes to waste, the D's outstanding halftime adjustments go to waste, and there is no Santoso heroics.

Well said. Some folks will never admit when they were wrong - on GH or in life.

This was his best game in my opinion, I've been hard on the kid, but I think he looked great. Definitely a big part of our comeback win. We are going to need some more games like this in November if we want to hang with the big boys.

Mitch played a great game yesterday, exactly what this system calls for. Predicated on the run, take your shots when the D loads the box. No complaimts about his passing or running yesterday.

But man what do they teach him when he's about to get tackled? The last few games he just looks different when getting tackled. He used to look like a running back, low pad level, shoulders down, finish. Now it's like he doesn't want to do that but he's not sure what else to do so he holds up, gets stood up, and that's when fumbles happen or when you get yanked from behind and come down awkwardly like yesterday. I wonder if Coach Z will address that this week.

Mitch played a great game yesterday, exactly what this system calls for. Predicated on the run, take your shots when the D loads the box. No complaimts about his passing or running yesterday.

But man what do they teach him when he's about to get tackled? The last few games he just looks different when getting tackled. He used to look like a running back, low pad level, shoulders down, finish. Now it's like he doesn't want to do that but he's not sure what else to do so he holds up, gets stood up, and that's when fumbles happen or when you get yanked from behind and come down awkwardly like yesterday. I wonder if Coach Z will address that this week.

Mitch really looks slow. Hope it's the two injuries slowing him up.

Mitch really looks slow. Hope it's the two injuries slowing him up.

I disagree. He got around the edge just fine on those zone reads. He was never a burner. The kid ran for 84 yards on 6.5 ypc.

I finally looked at the box score from Saturday and discovered ML7 was 0-4 in the fourth quarter. One was a bad throw to an open Maxx, but one was a drop by Cobb on what looked like a potential big play. Through 3 quarters his numbers were 9-14, 153 with one TD and no picks. He's getting better, closer to where he needs to be for the final four-game stretch.

Bad throws were because feet were moving both of them

I finally looked at the box score from Saturday and discovered ML7 was 0-4 in the fourth quarter. One was a bad throw to an open Maxx, but one was a drop by Cobb on what looked like a potential big play. Through 3 quarters his numbers were 9-14, 153 with one TD and no picks. He's getting better, closer to where he needs to be for the final four-game stretch.

ML7 had his feet moving and not set on both the bad overthrow and the late, low and behind Cobb throw that was at his hipp. Leidner like others have said is a Sophmore and still learning and improving at quarterback. He does tend to scatter a little bit with his arm slot sluffs off follow through, and his feet moving and not really set when he is on a roll out or moving, probably what Long was mentioning about his mechanics. Sometimes young guys think to much and then they panic and forget to do the good things they were coached to do. Happens all of the time with young players, I like how Leidner has improved each game and think the passing game is improving along with the offensive line. Saturday was the best the offensive line has looked all season, good pass protection and excellent run blocking up the middle at times by Olson, going up against some big and athletic tackles.
It was nice to see Pirsig and Campion holding there own at tackle too. Leidner seems to be progressing, he just needs to remember to repeat his good mechanics and the good things will happen on his throws.

It was a very good game from him. This is what happens (and will continue to happen) if he has time and isn't busy running for his life. We really need to install a 3-step drop-back on a quick in from our receivers. Would open up Cobb even more if we can freeze the Line Backers.

It was a very good game from him. This is what happens (and will continue to happen) if he has time and isn't busy running for his life. We really need to install a 3-step drop-back on a quick in from our receivers. Would open up Cobb even more if we can freeze the Line Backers.

Stay tuned, we still have things we have not used yet. Mitch is doing fine, I like everyone talking crap about our passing game and so does our team. Jones was off his timing on his long catch otherwise Mitch has two long touchdowns. He is improving every game and at some point this season he will make a leap.

So far in Big Ten games Mitch ranks 3rd in passer rating.. looks improved.. just can't miss the wide open guys

I don't think some people understand that teams can't do everything well. Teams are good at what they spend the most time on and emphasize. With our offense we'll likely rarely have a QB that slings it all over the field comfortably. That simply doesn't happen in offenses that run the ball 65% of the time. Andrew Luck was the man and still had a career 66% completion rate which is really good but not as high as others in pass heavy offenses. Our offense will likely never have the same timing and crispness in our passing game as some others until we get closer to a 50/50 split. There's a reason you hear people say our offense isn't built for drop back passing just like some of these passing offense aren't built to hold leads or grind it out. What Mitch is doing now is excellent for our offense. That's hitting on the deep balls to loosen the D and running the PA well. The next step is getting more efficient with the mid range passing game with the slants, curls and outs that can get you a quick 9 yards, but our WRs have to become better route runners.

Problem with that logic is that if the opposing D is filling the box the CBs are going to be in man-to-man. The ultimate directive of any DB coach in that situation is- maintain inside position and NEVER let your man cross your face for a slant because you have no inside help from the safeties.

Maybe I could be wrong, but I do seem to notice the passing game ever so slowing progressing albeit slower than other components of the Gophers game.

I am very optimistic with the WRs that we have red shirted that the future is looking good for opening up the offensive repertoire.

The primary team identity is running the ball with a solid defense. I can't imagine how much better the Gophers as a team will be once the passing game matures.

Top Bottom