Hollins: "I think Mason, Morris and Bakary are going to be very, very good."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hollins: "I think Mason, Morris and Bakary are going to be very, very good."

per Marcus:

Gophers senior guard Andre Hollins said swingman Carlos Morris, point guard Nate Mason and center Bakary Konate have stood out the most among newcomers in preseason practices.

"I think Nate Mason, Carlos Morris and Bakary are going to be very, very good," Hollins said Thursday.

Morris, a 6-foot-5 junior college transfer, is expected to fill the starting spot left vacant by last season's NIT most valuable player, Austin Hollins.

"He can play," Hollins said of Morris. "He can flat-out play."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26738969/womens-basketball-gophers-rachel-banham-voted-big-ten

Go Gophers!!

Isn't that the whole freshmen class except Martin?

per Marcus:

Gophers senior guard Andre Hollins said swingman Carlos Morris, point guard Nate Mason and center Bakary Konate have stood out the most among newcomers in preseason practices.

"I think Nate Mason, Carlos Morris and Bakary are going to be very, very good," Hollins said Thursday.

Morris, a 6-foot-5 junior college transfer, is expected to fill the starting spot left vacant by last season's NIT most valuable player, Austin Hollins.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26738969/womens-basketball-gophers-rachel-banham-voted-big-ten

Go Gophers!!

Interesting that it is coming from Hollins, can't wait to see them play, sounds like there will be some depth on this team.

I thought that was odd as well. Probably not the nicest thing to hear from your captain if you're Martin... especially considering he's talking about how good they will be down the line. I can't see a reason to not just say that you think the freshmen class will be very good.

Isn't that the whole freshmen class except Martin?

Maybe Dre is trying to motivate Josh to step up his game and effort in practice. Or maybe in the real time of a media day interview he just simply forgot a name. Who knows.

Wouldn't read anything into it. Probably just forgot him. No big deal.

Maybe Dre is trying to motivate Josh to step up his game and effort in practice. Or maybe in the real time of a media day interview he just simply forgot a name. Who knows.

It's obviously because Martin is already very, very good.

My guess is he works mostly with the guards so is talking about the wing players. Plus, those are the guys people seem to have the most questions about.

My guess is he works mostly with the guards so is talking about the wing players. Plus, those are the guys people seem to have the most questions about.

Bakary is a 4/5 though.

Bakary is a 4/5 though.

Could be a stretch 3 ....... :rolleyes:

Can I just say, I want to see this team in action so goddamn bad. I don't know if I've been this amped up for a glimpse of a team since the White/Williams/Mbakwe/Cobbs class. Now obviously I never got to see that class.

And my excitement obviously isn't for the same reasons, that class was filled with physical freaks of nature and looked to have some serious talent coming to the court. This year we've heard about physical improvements from our guys from last year and there is a huge level of mystery surrounding so many of the recruits this year as well. It's rather unnerving. I like it and I hate it all at the same time.

Martin - Tore it up in the HS scene but wasn't all that great during his AAU stint last summer. Were his stats due in part to improvement in skills or is Seattle ball that weak?

Mason - Seen great things on tape, the box scores were up and down. Heard fantastic things in the press about him. How will he fit in? Gonna need big minutes from him

Morris - Polarizing player on the board, heard all about his impressive weight gain (anti-Mo?) and now this comment about him being able to ball... Anticipation is high on this kid. Seeing the brief shoot around clips from the strib had me surprised at his size.

Bakary - Man this kid is the ultimate mystery. Again the video from the Strib has me extremely intrigued add in all the comparisons to Dieng.... DANG!

Gaston - We wont see him until January, but the fact that we are going to wait that long for him rather than just banking that scholarship or chasing a late transfer (there's been like 3 or so in the big 10 alone that have moved schools since we've gotten the news on Gaston, it was an option) makes me think Pitino sees something in this kid.

I'm pissed we've got almost a full month until this season starts. But I'm excited as hell. Thank god Football is still relevant, if this was another 3-x year and we were getting beat to hell I don't know how I would make it to Mid November without killing something.

per Marcus:

Good to hear! Look forward to Morris at the 3 the next couple of years, I'm not banking on it, but would still like to have Piper after that.

From they way some of you love Lofton, I thought Hollins would have said "Zach is absolutely destroying us every practice"

Good to hear! Look forward to Morris at the 3 the next couple of years, I'm not banking on it, but would still like to have Piper after that.

From they way some of you love Lofton, I thought Hollins would have said "Zach is absolutely destroying us every practice"

I agree Morris seems like a very very solid 2 year player very excited to have him on the team, Piper should/would be another very good wing for 2 years...

Hollins and ZL will never play together in a meaningful game, I think Hollins has to focus on this years team and what they can do during his last collegiate season. No need to discuss redshirts whether they are destroying in practice or not.

I'm sure we will not be hearing much about him until the 2015 season, the scrimmage on the 26th should be fun though.

I agree with Hollins, the freshman class this year is/will be good, have a significant impact this year, and push the vets to be better.

Could be a stretch 3 ....... :rolleyes:

Can I just say, I want to see this team in action so goddamn bad. I don't know if I've been this amped up for a glimpse of a team since the White/Williams/Mbakwe/Cobbs class. Now obviously I never got to see that class.

And my excitement obviously isn't for the same reasons, that class was filled with physical freaks of nature and looked to have some serious talent coming to the court. This year we've heard about physical improvements from our guys from last year and there is a huge level of mystery surrounding so many of the recruits this year as well. It's rather unnerving. I like it and I hate it all at the same time.

Martin - Tore it up in the HS scene but wasn't all that great during his AAU stint last summer. Were his stats due in part to improvement in skills or is Seattle ball that weak?

Mason - Seen great things on tape, the box scores were up and down. Heard fantastic things in the press about him. How will he fit in? Gonna need big minutes from him

Morris - Polarizing player on the board, heard all about his impressive weight gain (anti-Mo?) and now this comment about him being able to ball... Anticipation is high on this kid. Seeing the brief shoot around clips from the strib had me surprised at his size.

Bakary - Man this kid is the ultimate mystery. Again the video from the Strib has me extremely intrigued add in all the comparisons to Dieng.... DANG!

Gaston - We wont see him until January, but the fact that we are going to wait that long for him rather than just banking that scholarship or chasing a late transfer (there's been like 3 or so in the big 10 alone that have moved schools since we've gotten the news on Gaston, it was an option) makes me think Pitino sees something in this kid.

I'm pissed we've got almost a full month until this season starts. But I'm excited as hell. Thank god Football is still relevant, if this was another 3-x year and we were getting beat to hell I don't know how I would make it to Mid November without killing something.

This guy ^^ !!

I'm fired up as well!!

I can't recall the last time the Gophers had an impact transfer sitting out a year, so I didn't expect to hear much about Lofton this year. No sense having current players looking over their shoulders. McNeil and Morris have the first shot at laying claim to the 3. IMO Lofton will start next season at the 2 or 3, depending on which spot needs attention.

I'm pissed that 7 of the non-con games are on BTN+ or ESPN3. Also 3 are one ESPNU, which I will have to pick up. Sure glad we added Maryland and Rutgers.

Top Bottom