Q&A: Gary Trent Jr. Has Gophers Offer, Hearing from Jayhawks, Spartans and Buckeyes

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Gary Trent Jr. Has Gophers Offer, Hearing from Jayhawks, Spartans and Buckeyes

Q&A: Sophomore Gary Trent Jr. Has Gophers Offer, Hearing from Jayhawks, Spartans and Buckeyes
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/436408?referrer_id=

Gary Trent Jr., a 6-foot-3 sophomore wing from Apple Valley (MN) High, is considered the state's top player from the Class of 2017. Trent Jr. received an offer from Minnesota this past summer. Trent Jr. averaged 10.2 points per game as a first year starter for the 27-2 Eagles, who lost to Cretin-Derham Hall for the Section 3AAAA title game

Trent comes from a basketball family. His father, Gary Trent, was one of just three players in conference history with at least 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds and is the only three-time MAC Player of the Year in MAC history at Ohio University. Trent was selected by the Milwaukee Bucks with the 11th overall selection of the 1995 NBA Draft and enjoyed an 11-year NBA career averaging more than eight points and four rebounds per game with Portland, Toronto, Dallas, and Minnesota.

Gopher Hole caught up with Trent Jr. to learn more about his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on schools you are hearing from right now?

Gary Trent Jr.: The list of schools that I am hearing from would be Kansas, Michigan State and Ohio State. That would be the most recent that have been in contact with me as of late.

Gopher Hole: What offers do you have right now? Texas Tech? Minnesota?

Gary Trent Jr.: And Providence.

Gopher Hole: You had a good year last season, but got upset in the section finals. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Gary Trent Jr.: No less than a state championship. If anything, it would be that would be a failure. Anything under that. We have been working really hard in the offseason. Hopefully, everything will come together during the season.

Gopher Hole: How big of a motivating factor is that loss to Cretin?

Gary Trent Jr.: It is always motivating. Whenever you lose a big game that you were supposed to win, it will hurt and stays with you in your mind all the time. When you go out with other teams and are joking around with other players around your friends, they will make fun of you for losing that game in a joking matter. It is always in the back of your mind, no matter where you are at. We will most definitely be looking for them this season.

Gopher Hole: Who has come out for your open gyms so far this fall?

Gary Trent Jr.: Ohio State. Mostly all assistants. No head coaches yet. Jeff Boals from Ohio State. Michigan State assistant and Providence, Coach (Bob) Simon, came as well. We have a couple of coaches come here or there.

Gopher Hole: What things have you really been trying to focus on to continue to improve yourself as a player knowing that you are going to have a bigger role this season?

Gary Trent Jr.: Just being able to close out games and finish strong. When you get tired, you have got to step it up another level beyond that and just being able to guard the best player on each team and still be able to go through the motions.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you have even got a little bit bigger since the last time I saw you. What are up height and weight-wise right now?

Gary Trent Jr.: Right now, I weigh about 184. We have been having open gyms. We have been having weights, so our program can really get us together for the season.

Gopher Hole: Can you tell that has helped you as a player being stronger and today, you were taking the ball to the hoop instead of just hitting the outside shot?

Gary Trent Jr.: Oh, yes. Most definitely. We work on every part of your body. Your arms, your legs, your abs, your core. It helps you a lot. It gives you the ability to jump higher. It gives you the ability to go for longer, so it helps.

Gopher Hole: Do you like the recruiting process? I know that it is still early being only a sophomore, but do you like talking to the coaches and all the stuff that goes on with that?

Gary Trent Jr.: It'll be fun. Like for example, last week I just talked to Arizona, so that was pretty cool. Just having your parents calling people and saying that this coach wants to talk to you and coaches that you used to watch on TV or enjoyed watch playing are contacting you. It is truly a blessing and fun.

Gopher Hole: Do you see how it could get a bit old after a while?

Gary Trent Jr.: Oh, yes. It can become a headache for sure, but when you see all the hard work that you put in and you see some outcome coming out of it, it feels good.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota was one of the first schools to offer you. What are you hearing from the Gophers now?

Gary Trent Jr.: Coach came to an open gym about three weeks ago, so it was good seeing them. Just staying in connect with them and being on the phone and hopefully, going to an upcoming football game and see the campus life.

Gopher Hole: Do you know when you might go to a game?

Gary Trent Jr.: It will be soon.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to any college football games or visit any schools yet this year?

Gary Trent Jr.: Not yet.

Gopher Hole: Any plans to do anything?

Gary Trent Jr.: If the time comes, probably, but I'm not sure. Coaches, here and there, tell me to come for unofficial visits to see the atmosphere and come to Midnight Madness. It's still in my head, so I'm not sure if I'll go yet.

Next time, GH should ask about his contact with Jarvis and other Gopher recruits (like Lofton). Jarvis really seems to be recruiting him hard.

Trent is #1 on my most wanted recruit list. This kid is the real deal. We got some serious talent rolling in. Trent and Johnson leading the Gophers back to the Final Four would be amazing. Pitino is getting some real talent and I am getting really excited just thinking of the possibilities.

Top Bottom