BTN's preseason All-Big Ten teams and superlative winners (Mathieu 3rd Team)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
BTN.COM’S 2014-15 PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM

First Team
CARIS LEVERT, Michigan (12) – 3, 3, 3, 3
TERRAN PETTEWAY, Nebraska (12) – 3, 3, 3, 3
FRANK KAMINSKY, Wisconsin (12) – 3, 3, 3, 3
Sam Dekker, Wisconsin (11) – 3, 3, 2, 3
Branden Dawson, Michigan State (10) – 2, 3, 3, 2

Second Team
Yogi Ferrell, Indiana (9) – 2, 2, 3, 2
D.J. Newbill, Penn State (8) – 3, 1, 2, 2
A.J. Hammons, Purdue (8) – 2, 2, 2, 2
Aaron White, Iowa (6) – 1, 2, 2, 1
Denzel Valentine, Michigan State (5) – 0, 0, 2, 3

Third Team
Dez Wells, Maryland (4) – 2, 1, 0, 1
DeAndre Mathieu, Minnesota (3) – 1, 1, 1, 0
Rayvonte Rice, Illinois (3) – 1, 1, 1, 0
Shannon Scott, Ohio State (3) – 0, 2, 0, 1
Derrick Walton Jr., Michigan (3) – 1, 2, 0, 0
Shavon Shields, Nebraska* (3) – 1, 0, 0, 2

Other receiving votes: Andre Hollins, Minnesota (2); Anthony Lee, Ohio State (2); James Blackmon, Indiana (1); Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin (1); Zak Irvin, Michigan (1); Melo Trimble, Maryland (1)

http://btn.com/2014/10/14/btn-coms-preseason-all-big-ten-teams-and-superlative-winners/

Go Gophers!!

Shannon Scott 3rd team? Have to question that. A lotta' guys on several different teams I'd take before him.

Shannon Scott 3rd team? Have to question that. A lotta' guys on several different teams I'd take before him.

3 out of the 4 voters selected him as Defensive Player of the Year, so I'm guessing that's why.

Looking at it further, I'm incorrect. He did get the Defensive Player of The Year, but garnered the votes for the third team spot.

Scott was hurt by having to play the 2 guard position a lot while Craft got the star treatment, and Scott just never really got comfortable in that role. Now that he is able to be full time PG, I think he will play a lot better offensively. But the people making these predictions probably don't realize that and just think he will produce more because he will get a larger role.

I notice that they listed only two centers (if you call Kaminsky a center) among the teams and players receiving votes. I guess they figured that position was occupied by Kaminsky, Hammons, and no one else worth mentioning.

I also think there should be a rule against giving preseason votes to anyone who is a freshman or transfer - call it a one-year minimum residency rule. There are 4 votes going to new players. The guys who have actually done something in the conference deserve the recognition.

Top Bottom