MN Daily Column: Shootouts are ruining college hockey

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

In just its second season of being a conference, the Big Ten is already showing it made a mistake by adopting the CCHA style of overtime.

Not only do shootouts destroy momentum in hockey games, but they also can take away team chemistry and stamina.

For a conference that’s trying to build strong leaders, the Big Ten’s use of the shootout suggests that it’s more interested in creating individual achievement than team-oriented accomplishment.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-hockey/2014/10/13/column-shootouts-are-ruining-college-hockey

Go Gophers!!

Shootouts are the worst thing to happen to hockey since the Fox Tracer puck. It just seems like such an absurd concept. Imagine a tied basketball game being decided by a game of horse or a three point competition or a slam dunk contest. Of course, I come from the camp that didn't mind ties. I thought it was just fine to say "hey, neither of you teams did enough to earn a win, so neither of you gets one".

"Based on its play in overtime, Minnesota should be 4-0-0 after this weekend. But after losing in the shootout, it is 3-0-1."

No. The Gophers are 3-0-1 overall as they should be. In the conference they are 1-0-0-1 (some people order it differently) with four points. They should be 1-0-1 with three points, because yes, shootouts are stupid. Overall kind of a roundabout article with the moral of the story being hockey purists hate the shootout, and people that don't understand hockey or are new to it are more likely to like the shootout.

Important to note that shootouts do not play any role in determining the field for the NCAA tournament, and there are no shootouts in that tournament. Ties after five minutes of OT are ties, from the NCAA perspective.

Having said that, I could do without the shootout, even in conference contexts. The only place they really belong is mid-season tournaments where a winner is needed to determine subsequent matchups, or a champion.

The fact of the matter is that you can't make these kids play 20+ minutes of overtime in the regular season just to find a winner. And ties leave a bad taste in most people's mouth - especially the casual NCAA hockey fan.

Important to note that shootouts do not play any role in determining the field for the NCAA tournament, and there are no shootouts in that tournament. Ties after five minutes of OT are ties, from the NCAA perspective.

Having said that, I could do without the shootout, even in conference contexts. The only place they really belong is mid-season tournaments where a winner is needed to determine subsequent matchups, or a champion.

The fact of the matter is that you can't make these kids play 20+ minutes of overtime in the regular season just to find a winner. And ties leave a bad taste in most people's mouth - especially the casual NCAA hockey fan.

Fact of the matter? These "kids" are mostly grown men playing exactly two games in a typical week during the season. I think there's room for an occasional OT in there if people insist they can't live with ties. Personally, I prefer letting the tie stand.

5 minutes 4-on-4. 5 minutes 3-on-3. After that, it's a tie. This would be so much better than a shootout.

Fact of the matter? These "kids" are mostly grown men playing exactly two games in a typical week during the season. I think there's room for an occasional OT in there if people insist they can't live with ties. Personally, I prefer letting the tie stand.

Generally, you're right. Most guys would have no problem playing an extra twenty minutes every once in a while during the regular season. I'll give you that. And I, too, would rather just go back to ties after 5 mins (maybe 4on4 for OT).

But there is a significant rise in the risk of injury if games devolved into double and triple overtime games - which would, on occasion, happen. Especially since most NCAA games, unlike the NHL, are part of back-to-back affairs. No NCAA regular season game is worth the risk - playoffs and tournaments are different - a clear winner is necessary, and everyone knows that hockey shootouts never give a clear winner.

Lengthening the time before a tie is declared - maybe ten minutes, fifteen? Also, removing players, like bonin21 suggests, is another route.

Top Bottom