Jon Rothstein: Gophers may have best backcourt in Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Yes --- may have best back court in Big Ten <a href="https://twitter.com/BasketballFan_1">@BasketballFan_1</a>
<a href="https://twitter.com/JonRothstein">@JonRothstein</a> does Minnesota make the tournament this year?</p>— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/520962463441756160">October 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Over under on total dunks from said "best backcourt in Big 10" set at 10 for the season.

Best starting backcourt tandem certainly seems reasonable if Hollins and Mathieu stay healthy. To become the best overall backcourt, however, the Gophers will need a 3rd or even a 4th guard to make a significant impact. (my money's on Mason) It's gonna' be tough for anyone in the Big Ten to have a more seasoned & talented backcourt than Wisconsin.

Best starting backcourt tandem certainly seems reasonable if Hollins and Mathieu stay healthy. To become the best overall backcourt, however, the Gophers will need a 3rd or even a 4th guard to make a significant impact. (my money's on Mason) It's gonna' be tough for anyone in the Big Ten to have a more seasoned & talented backcourt than Wisconsin.

I'd take Lil Dre over Jackson in a heartbeat. And I'd take Dre over Gasser, but that one is more of a toss-up. Koenig is very good though and certainly trumps anyone off the Gopher bench.

We are definitely in the conversation for best starting backcourt duo. My top 5:

1. Walton/Levert
2. Mathieu/Hollins
3. Yogi/Blackmon Jr.
4. Jackson/Gasser
5. Scott/Russell

The big question is Dre's health. Our 5 guys, between the 1 and 3 positions are really good, if not the best, healthy. We are really thin though.

The big question is Dre's health. Our 5 guys, between the 1 and 3 positions are really good, if not the best, healthy. We are really thin though.

I don't think Dre's health should be a concern at all. He has had plenty of time to heal. I am also surprised Pitino didn't bring in a transfer that could play either wing. One injury to any of those 5 guys and we are forced to play King, Buggs, or Martin at the 3, which is not ideal.

I pictured Dr. Don and station19 more as food court guys than back court guys.

I think Yogi/Blackmon is by far the best backcourt. Yogi will be 1st team BIG, maybe player of the year...Blackmon could be 2nd or 3rd team BIG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take Lil Dre over Jackson in a heartbeat. And I'd take Dre over Gasser, but that one is more of a toss-up. Koenig is very good though and certainly trumps anyone off the Gopher bench.

Agree with first statement. The second comparison is a tough one. A healthy Dre Hollins is a better scorer but Gasser is better on defense and Wisconsin doesn't really need Gasser to be a big scorer. Agree on the third statement although I suspect that Koenig would start and probably be better as a soph than Drust was as a senior.

I think Yogi/Blackmon is by far the best backcourt. Yogi will be 1st team BIG, maybe player of the year...Blackmon could be 2nd or 3rd team BIG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Yogi was better than Mathieu last year. He just got the recognition because he was better known. In fact, I think Yogi's ball dominant style last year made a big contribution to Indiana's lack of success.

Yogi plays for Indiana. Of course he gets more praise!

Will Indiana be good again this year? I don't know who've they brought it but I feel like they're close to be pretty darn good.

Will Indiana be good again this year? I don't know who've they brought it but I feel like they're close to be pretty darn good.

The last coupe recruiting classes have been quite good, but the team overall is young. Outside of Ferrell, it'll essentially be all sophomores and freshmen.

They'll have a good, albeit young bunch of guards to play the 1-3. Their frontcourt is very suspect, after losing Vonleh to the NBA and a couple players transfering out.

The last coupe recruiting classes have been quite good, but the team overall is young. Outside of Ferrell, it'll essentially be all sophomores and freshmen.

They'll have a good, albeit young bunch of guards to play the 1-3. Their frontcourt is very suspect, after losing Vonleh to the NBA and a couple players transfering out.

So in other words we should be able to handle them this year? It'll be next year when they start to get really good with there Juniors and Sophomores?

We are getting close to being able to handle anyone in the B1G. This program is soaring.

Top Bottom