Regional hosts are announced

Lincoln gopher

Reaction score
Neither Minnesota or Ohio State will host. The northern most team is Louisville. Here is the list of hosts. They ARE NOT in any order. The seeding will be announced with the other teams tomorrow.

1. Texas
2. UC Irvine
3. Arizona State
4. Cal State Fullerton
5. Ole Miss
6. Florida
7. Florida State
8. LSU
9. East Carolina
10. Louisville
11. TCU
12. Clemson
13. Georgia Tech
14. North Carolina
15. Oklahoma
16. Rice

Disappointing but not surprising. I feel bad for Anderson. He has gotten the short end of the stick for too long.

Don't you think it's going to be tough to get a regional here until Siebert Field is replaced? No locker rooms on site. Small pressbox. Limited seating. Poor parking situation. Small hospitality-area opportunities.

I'm not familiar with any other Division I baseball stadiums but I've got to think Minnesota has the worst situation of any team that goes to the national tournament as often as the Gophers do.

It had been suggested, although I'm not sure confirmed, that the Gophers made their bid by planning to host at Midway Stadium, which would have been a much more preferable venue. But back to the original point, Siebert Field really does need to either be upgraded or replaced.

This doesn't exactly count as earth-shattering news because it's been known for quite a while that the Gophers need a new home facility. However, situations like this just reinforce that fact.

Disappointing but not surprising. I feel bad for Anderson. He has gotten the short end of the stick for too long.

Don't you think it's going to be tough to get a regional here until Siebert Field is replaced? No locker rooms on site. Small pressbox. Limited seating. Poor parking situation. Small hospitality-area opportunities.

I'm not familiar with any other Division I baseball stadiums but I've got to think Minnesota has the worst situation of any team that goes to the national tournament as often as the Gophers do.

Many teams are starting to share with minor league teams. Stadiums around the country are getting nicer and nicer. You may be right that the Gophers are in the worst situation for a home field as any team of their history and level of play.

It had been suggested, although I'm not sure confirmed, that the Gophers made their bid by planning to host at Midway Stadium, which would have been a much more preferable venue. But back to the original point, Siebert Field really does need to either be upgraded or replaced.

This doesn't exactly count as earth-shattering news because it's been known for quite a while that the Gophers need a new home facility. However, situations like this just reinforce that fact.

Several have talked about the use of Midway for a regional. The only thing I have seen in print was the article on Rivals college baseball. Kendal Rogers stated he talked with Anderson and the bid was for Siebert.

I wrote the midway thing but that was from a booster I was talking to at a game who appeared to know his stuff, but Kendall said anderson told him it was for siebert. It's really sad that for how popular baseball is in Minnesota with Legion and townball that we don't have a smaller stadium worthy of hosting a regional, even Midway isn't that great. Obviously teaming up with the Saints was the best solution but neither side was willing to budge on location and I can't really blame either side. The Saints have kind of made there name on being the other team in St. Paul and moving to Minneapolis would ruin that perception while the Gophers don't want to move off campus and no matter what some say, the St. Paul campus is not the same.

It's really sad that for how popular baseball is in Minnesota with Legion and townball that we don't have a smaller stadium worthy of hosting a regional, even Midway isn't that great.

I saw a design come through my office a few months ago for the new Minneapolis Millers ballpark. Looked like quite the venue, but I'm not sure how it's progressing.

I'm surprised as I heard that the Gophers had bid Midway as well. The only rationale I can see in bidding Siebert is for the Athletic Department to get feedback from the NCAA that it is unsuitable for Regional/Super Regional play. It certainly would drive Anderson's points home to the AD.

The Gophers were a long shot to host as they will be a #2 seed (the NCAA has allowed #2 seeds to host as they did Michigan when wanting a Northern Regional or when a school doesn't have the facilities to host) and the two losses to IU didn't help.

I agree that a joint Saints/Gopher stadium would be the easiest solution to the problem. Penn St and Nebraska have such an arrangement. And if you want a good example of a stadium that would work and not be too expensive take a look at Fargo's Newman Field. I really don't see the Gophers being able to build something on their own like what most of the southern schools have.

I saw a design come through my office a few months ago for the new Minneapolis Millers ballpark. Looked like quite the venue, but I'm not sure how it's progressing.

Minneapolis Millers? Can you fill me in on this? What are the plans for their stadium?

Also, have I heard correctly that the Saints are looking at replacing their stadium??

It's really a shame that there are not better baseball fields in the state of Minnesota. Things will be significantly better once Target Field and the new Siebert open.

Minneapolis Millers? Can you fill me in on this? What are the plans for their stadium?

Also, have I heard correctly that the Saints are looking at replacing their stadium??

I don't have a lot of information about it since it's been a number of months since I saw the plans. If I can find more information about it, I'll post it. Here's a wikipedia link, there's a blurb at the bottom about a possible return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Millers

I know nothing about the Saints replacing their stadium.

Top Bottom