All Things Carter Coughlin Thread

per Sid:

One player the Gophers are highly recruiting is Carter Coughlin, the Eden Prairie linebacker who Rivals.com has ranked second in the state for the Class of 2016. Coughlin’s father, Bob, played for the Gophers as a defensive tackle from 1989-1990, and his grandfather, Tom Moe, lettered in football and baseball for the Gophers and was one of the best all-around athletes ever developed at Edina High School.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/290150701.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Q&A: Bob Coughlin Talks Carter's Recruitment, Says U is "A great, amazing program."

Q&A: Bob Coughlin Talks Son Carter's Recruitment, Says Gophers are "A great, amazing program!"
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/485787?referrer_id=

Bob Coughlin was the Minneapolis Star Tribune co-Metro Player of the Year in 1985 and signed with Minnesota, where he lettered in football for the Gophers. However, he is now known more as being the father of Eden Prairie's standout linebacker Carter Coughlin, the top high school junior in the state.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Coughlin to learn more about his son's recruitment.

Gopher Hole: Your son is being recruited for football. You went through that same experience a long time ago. Through him, have you seen a big difference in the way that you were recruited?

Bob Coughlin: It was way too long ago. I've been hit in the head too many times to remember (joking). You know, that I think that it has changed in the fact that it is so much earlier. It is a process. The scope of it with all the websites. That is the big difference, but it is still the coaches contacting the players and following up and getting them into schools. It is the same, but the intensity is different.

Gopher Hole: When you were being recruited by Minnesota, when did you commit?

Bob Coughlin: It was probably two weeks before the signing day when I committed. That was what everyone did. Everybody waited. There were no juniors ever committing. Most kids didn't get scholarship offers until after they played their senior year. Very few people got in early, so that is way different now.

Gopher Hole: Your son told me recently that he is going to commit fairly soon and he is not going to his senior year yet.

Bob Coughlin: I think for him, as he has talked to me, is that he is developing relationships with these coaches. They are flying in to watch games. Contacting him and he has been able to visit the schools that he has got an interest in. He said that he knows his top three and he has visited them, so now he can make a decision and just wants to enjoy high school, so he doesn't have to worry about it and doesn't have to lead these coaches on.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that it helps him having you, who hasn't gone through the exact same experience, but someone who knows what he is going through a little bit?

Bob Coughlin: Yes. My wife, too. She was a tennis player at the "U" and was recruited by all these colleges, so it helps giving perspective, but again, the truth is, he is the one going through it. He comes to us and we help the levels set. They (the coaches) get paid to say these things. They are great salesmen and they are active. They have done a great job. The coaches have been great. It helps talking to him.

Gopher Hole: You both went to Minnesota and you have other family members who went to Minnesota. I know that you want him to go wherever he wants to go and you want the best for him, but it is ever hard to not push for him to stay close to home where you can see him play much more often?

Bob Coughlin: Our exact thing is that "we actually like you, we want you to be here." Selfishly, if we could choose for him, it would be over, but it has got to be his decision and he has narrowed it down to three great schools and if he picked any one of those three, we would be excited for him. Probably devastated inside, because the University has done an excellent job. A great coaching staff. They help turn young men into men and that is what I love about the program, but the other programs that he is looking at, do a great job, too. We hope he stays, but if he chooses to go, we are going to get excited for what he decides.

Gopher Hole: Like I told him recently, he really can't go wrong. Oregon and Ohio State were in the national championship game and Minnesota is where you have a lot of ties.

Bob Coughlin: And they are playing amazing football. Seven points to Ohio State. I was sitting across the table to Urban Meyer at breakfast and I think before he figured out who is competition was, his exact comment was that Minnesota was by far the best defense his team played all year and then he started figuring out that is who is competing with. He got quiet quick. When you talk about Minnesota, you are talking about an elite program. The facilities are going to be better than anyone else because they will be newer. Great coach. Coach of the Year. A great, amazing program. Great, amazing football. Great education. So it is great, great or great, but Minnesota is great, make no mistakes about it.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that he will be glad to have the decision over with?

Bob Coughlin: He wants it done, so I think that he has a visit set up with Minnesota on the 7th of March and he said that he wants to pull the trigger within the next week after that because he wants to be done.

Gopher Hole: Will you kind of be glad that it is done too?

Bob Coughlin: Yes. People keep asking me.

Gopher Hole: Do you get that a lot?

Bob Coughlin: 15-20 times a day.

Well I think that qualifies as "glowing remarks". Can we assume a strong lean here?

That was a great, amazing interview. Great, amazing interview! Ski-U-Mah Coughlin/Moe Family!!

Well I think that qualifies as "glowing remarks". Can we assume a strong lean here?

If he had to commit today I'd say 55-45 chance OSU but I like that we are his last visit which will actually be this weekend and after that I would say 55-45% chance of Minnesota.

I was sitting across the table to Urban Meyer at breakfast and I think before he figured out who is competition was, his exact comment was that Minnesota was by far the best defense his team played all year and then he started figuring out that is who is competing with. He got quiet quick.

Favorite quote

These are the battles we have to start winning...beating Sconnie and Hogeyes is great, but the elite 1-2 each year from MN that go to places like ND, tOSU, etc are the ones that can change our program if we can keep them home.

I love these interviews, however you talked to the wrong Coughlin. The interview I think would be more interesting would be with Mrs. Coughlin. Mom. Mom is the key to recruiting. Coaches know it, recruiters play to it.

I love these interviews, however you talked to the wrong Coughlin. The interview I think would be more interesting would be with Mrs. Coughlin. Mom. Mom is the key to recruiting. Coaches know it, recruiters play to it.

In a recent rivals article Carter said he leans on his mom more than his dad because his dad is so biased towards the U. So yeah, I think you're spot on here.

I still think we get him. This interview was borderline ridiculous in how much Bob wants his son to be a Gopher. I think it'll be too hard for Carter to say no to the home state school. The fact that the program is on the rise definitely helps as well.

In a recent rivals article Carter said he leans on his mom more than his dad because his dad is so biased towards the U. So yeah, I think you're spot on here.

I still think we get him. This interview was borderline ridiculous in how much Bob wants his son to be a Gopher. I think it'll be too hard for Carter to say no to the home state school. The fact that the program is on the rise definitely helps as well.

Hope you are right! Would really like to see Carter at The U!

Bob Coughlin: Our exact thing is that "we actually like you, we want you to be here." Selfishly, if we could choose for him, it would be over, but it has got to be his decision and he has narrowed it down to three great schools and if he picked any one of those three, we would be excited for him. Probably devastated inside, because the University has done an excellent job. A great coaching staff. They help turn young men into men and that is what I love about the program, but the other programs that he is looking at, do a great job, too.

The only thing that gives me any pause that he won't be a Gopher is the fact that he visited OSU twice. He grew up a Gopher fan and his family loves the U. I like our chances...

Hate to be that guy....but he's going to O$U, I fear...

This one would be a tough one to swallow if he chooses elsewhere. Talk about the need to get top in state recruits. If you can't close on someone that has DEEP seeded roots to the U, then that tells me we have a ways to go to compete with the big players.

In all seriousness, where is all this "hes going to OSU" stuff coming from. Just wondering if i missed something or if this is the loser mentality that "we never get our guy"? Carter hasnt really said anything to tip his hand. So he made two visits to OSU. Hes making two visits to the U. General thinking would be hes narrowed it down to the U and OSU. Fill me in please, all the people that have inside sources.

These are the battles we have to start winning...beating Sconnie and Hogeyes is great, but the elite 1-2 each year from MN that go to places like ND, tOSU, etc are the ones that can change our program if we can keep them home.

Yup. This will be a tough one to lose if we do. They didn't do a good enough job of brainwashing him as a small child.

Self hate from a jaded fan base that's all. You didn't miss anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One good thing - sounds like great weather for his visit this week-end! ;)

Hopefully they have some of those cool 3D videos of the new football excellence facility before he decides...can talk about being the first to use it and stuff like that.

Self hate from a jaded fan base that's all. You didn't miss anything.

LOL, I feel the same way. That recent Twitter photo with Cornell gave me an uneasy feeling. I am surprised there has been so little discussionson his upcoming announcement. I'm guessing many of us just want it to happen and let's have some good news similar to Jeff Jones last year.

I like the third to last statement from Bob Coughlin's interview- "he wants it done, so I think that he has a visit set up with Minnesota on the 7th of March and he said that he wants to pull the trigger within the next week after that because he wants to be done." Obviously knit picking interview transcripts is not the best way to gauge the feel of a situation, but the timing seems to point to him winding up a gopher. Fingers crossed.

I like the third to last statement from Bob Coughlin's interview- "he wants it done, so I think that he has a visit set up with Minnesota on the 7th of March and he said that he wants to pull the trigger within the next week after that because he wants to be done." Obviously knit picking interview transcripts is not the best way to gauge the feel of a situation, but the timing seems to point to him winding up a gopher. Fingers crossed.

I disagree. Hope you're right, but disagree. I think the visit points in the opposite direction. I've said it before, but it feels like one those, "I'll give Jerry one last pitch then break him the news out of respect," kind of visits.

I'm not going through it all again, but he has done a number of subtle things that tell me aOSU, or even Oregon, over the U. OSU just makes te most sense, that's why people are going with it.

And what makes all of you think he is coming here other than blind homerism? Since being jaded fuels our opinions. What evidence more do we need other than every other big- time high school prospect in history leaving? Why is that so ridiculous? Historically, you are the ridiculous one for believing he will stay. We'll see who is right in about a week. I certainly would be ecstatic to be wrong on this one.

I'm not going through it all again, but he has done a number of subtle things that tell me aOSU, or even Oregon, over the U.

Such as?

OSU just makes te most sense, that's why people are going with it.

Which people? His crystal ball at 247 is 85% Minnesota.

What evidence more do we need other than every other big- time high school prospect in history leaving?

Except that's not even close to true.

Top Bottom