All Things Carter Coughlin Thread

And what makes all of you think he is coming here other than blind homerism? Since being jaded fuels our opinions. What evidence more do we need other than every other big- time high school prospect in history leaving? Why is that so ridiculous? Historically, you are the ridiculous one for believing he will stay. We'll see who is right in about a week. I certainly would be ecstatic to be wrong on this one.

Because unlike the other top Minnesota recruits, his entire family has strong ties to the U of M. Minnesota football also has as bright of a future as it ever has in my 30 years of existence.

I disagree. Hope you're right, but disagree. I think the visit points in the opposite direction. I've said it before, but it feels like one those, "I'll give Jerry one last pitch then break him the news out of respect," kind of visits.

I'm not going through it all again, but he has done a number of subtle things that tell me aOSU, or even Oregon, over the U. OSU just makes te most sense, that's why people are going with it.

And what makes all of you think he is coming here other than blind homerism? Since being jaded fuels our opinions. What evidence more do we need other than every other big- time high school prospect in history leaving? Why is that so ridiculous? Historically, you are the ridiculous one for believing he will stay. We'll see who is right in about a week. I certainly would be ecstatic to be wrong on this one.

Once again, just because Seth Green did something doesn't mean that's what Carter Coughlin is going to do. Quit using that as you back up to your points. I dont have any clue who he's gonna pick but then again I don't claim to know what's gonna happen based on someone's recruitment or some picture on twitter.

Such as?

Which people? His crystal ball at 247 is 85% Minnesota.

Except that's not even close to true.

I suspect that TheBulldog is polling the voices he is hearing in his head to arrive at his conclusion. I certainly don't know what is going to happen but he has stated very little that would make his case. Like you, I would trust 247 over his opinion. Go get him Jerry!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBulldog View Post

I think since it is a kid, anything can happen. you saying you don't think he will pick the U is just as likely as most everyone else thinking he will stay.
he has also done several subtle things that would lead people to say he is staying home.
until he makes his decision public i don't think anyone can say for sure either way. If this kid works hard at MN he will get drafted after playing 3-4 years of meaningful football. if he goes somewhere else he may get drafted if his 1-2 years of playing time are good enough to be noticed among the other superstars on the team.
I for one would rather play than sit and watch the game.

I suspect that TheBulldog is polling the voices he is hearing in his head to arrive at his conclusion. I certainly don't know what is going to happen but he has stated very little that would make his case. Like you, I would trust 247 over his opinion. Go get him Jerry!

The voices in his head. LOL. Actually, that would help explain a lot of Bulldog's posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheBulldog View Post

I think since it is a kid, anything can happen. you saying you don't think he will pick the U is just as likely as most everyone else thinking he will stay.
he has also done several subtle things that would lead people to say he is staying home.
until he makes his decision public i don't think anyone can say for sure either way. If this kid works hard at MN he will get drafted after playing 3-4 years of meaningful football. if he goes somewhere else he may get drafted if his 1-2 years of playing time are good enough to be noticed among the other superstars on the team.
I for one would rather play than sit and watch the game.

NFL evaluators aren't going to miss his talent because the rest of the team is full of superstars... Thats absurd.

Most of the predictions are from last June. You would think a lot has changed since then. Be Golden, Carter!!

EDIT: But yes, I would normally trust 247 guys too.

I believe that no matter who he picks, all three finalists will be in the running up till signing day. A lot can happen in the next eleven months.

NFL evaluators aren't going to miss his talent because the rest of the team is full of superstars... Thats absurd.

on paper you are right. if he only has two years to impress and he does impress then yes the NFL evaluators will not miss him. but if he looks average on a team that is full of superstars then it might not be as good for him.

I am just saying that every Senior starter on Ohio State's team are not getting calls from the NFL?

Most of the predictions are from last June. You would think a lot has changed since then. Be Golden, Carter!!

EDIT: But yes, I would normally trust 247 guys too.

Good point. I have no doubt that he is seriously considering Ohio State. I also believe when push comes to shove it might be too difficult for him to leave, given his family's strong connections to Minnesota. What ever his decision is, we will find out soon. Let's hope that Jerry can seal the deal this weekend!

per Sid:

• The word is that Carter Coughlin, the 6-4, 205-pound junior linebacker for Eden Prairie, is down to three schools: Minnesota, where he is visiting this weekend, Oregon and Ohio State. His grandfather, Tom Moe, is a former Gophers football and baseball player and was an interim athletic director for the Gophers. His father, Bob Coughlin, was a star defensive player for the Gophers. And his mother, Jennie Moe Coughlin, was an outstanding tennis player for Edina and the Gophers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/295102951.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• The word is that Carter Coughlin, the 6-4, 205-pound junior linebacker for Eden Prairie, is down to three schools: Minnesota, where he is visiting this weekend, Oregon and Ohio State. His grandfather, Tom Moe, is a former Gophers football and baseball player and was an interim athletic director for the Gophers. His father, Bob Coughlin, was a star defensive player for the Gophers. And his mother, Jennie Moe Coughlin, was an outstanding tennis player for Edina and the Gophers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/295102951.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Didn't know Moe played baseball.

He's down to three? Wow, that's news!

And what makes all of you think he is coming here other than blind homerism?

Um, his family. Not too many people have said he "is" going to commit to the U but many think we have a good chance because of the family ties. Pretty simple.

What evidence more do we need other than every other big- time high school prospect in history leaving?

Why do you have to lie?

Why is that so ridiculous? Historically, you are the ridiculous one for believing he will stay.

History is against us but to think what has happened in the past with other kids has a lot of influence on his decision is equally ridiculous.

True, but those can change daily as news come out. It has remained consistent for many, many months. The "pickers" there are always changing depending on how the wind is blowing. And that is telling to me at least.

The pickers that predict tOSU include 1 guy from "MenofTheScarletandGray", an tOSU site and a guy listed as "Alabama Lead Writer" at Bleacher Report.

Among those pickers predicting Minnesota include: Steve Wiltfong, Director of Recruiting for 247, John Brandon from ElevenWarriors (another tUSU site), Ian Cuevas from Land Grant Holy Land (another tOSU site), Alex Gleitman from Bucknuts (duh), plus 7 others, some with a Minnesota affiliation.

Some kids just want go elsewhere to college for the experience . The same thing is true for football players.

The lure of a big time football program has a strong magnetic attraction with a promise of a National Championship, and the allusion that you are pretty much guaranteed a ticket to the pros.

The reality is like someone has posted earlier is that you are one great player among many. You may or may not be able to see the field to show case your talent. They have too much team depth.

Look at the tOSU QB situation.

If it wasn't for Braxton Miller going down with a season ending injury, JT Barrett or Cardale Jones may have not seen the playing field sooner if ever. Luke Morgan and Stephen Collier have yet to see playing time.

The same thing can be said about other positions.

Why not be a big fish in a little pond instead of a little fish in a big pond?

There is no doubt Carter is very talented. He has deeply rooted family history with the Golden Gophers. We'd love to see him don the maroon and gold. It is his decision, and I respect the kid for making the tough choice.

Facility-wise, (if he so chooses the Gophers) before he graduates he gets to use the new practice facility that will be completed. Kudos to Jerry Kill's leadership.

The Gopher's Football Program is rising!

The Gopher's Defense is up and coming, and I believe he has a great chance to be a star in Claey's system, and see the playing field more often. Mark my words. There will be a defensive player or two taken in the NFL draft each coming year. The U is becoming Linebacker University.

Spielman of the Vikings is impressed. Jerry Kill's system is good at teaching fundamentals. It is based on merits and talent development. The kids that come out of his program have good attitude.

One thing about the Twin Cities. It is a great place. You only notice it when you leave and then come back. In spite of the cold weather, I love the changes in the seasons. I came here forty two tears ago and never left (married a Minnesotan). :cry:

I don't particularly care for flying cock roaches or termites eating your suitcases anymore. Our football and baseball stadium food are guaranteed to be rodent or cock roaches free.

Ask Frank Ragnow if he has checked out what is in his salad lately. :pig: Or I guess it doesn't matter in hog country. They eat it all the same. I don't know so much about Columbus. I have only passed through there once in the 1970's on a road tour to the East Coast.

Land Grant Holy Land: Ohio State recruiting: State Secrets - Buckeyes could land Carter Coughlin this week

Spring practice is underway and the grind has officially started for the 2015 Ohio State football team. Though this version's team is new to the grind, the coaching staff feels it every single day -- whether it be preparing the current Buckeyes for battle or putting all of their efforts onto the recruiting trail. The class of 2016 is shaping up to be one of the best ever at Ohio State, according to recruiting rankings. With a handful of good prospects already on board, the Buckeyes will look to add another as linebacker Carter Coughlin is set to announce this week.

Coughlin set to announce

Coughlin, who has held Ohio State in high regard in the past, is down to the Buckeyes, Minnesota, and Oregon as his finalists. The catch is that he was born and raised in Minnesota and the Gophers appear to be the favorite as we stand right now. Coughlin is a tough, nasty linebacker who can run. He's up to 6'3 and though he only weighs 200 pounds, he has plenty of frame to fill out over the summer and when he arrives on a college campus. Coughlin is a unanimous four-star prospect and the top rated player out of the state of Minnesota. He holds offers from other top Big Ten schools, which include Michigan State and Iowa, so there's no secret about him: he can play. Since he's announcing this week, it could be a telling sign that he just visited Minnesota last weekend. Though we can only speculate, the Gophers most likely feel good about this one. Still, Ohio State is in a position to make a final pitch. Coughlin last visited Columbus on January 30.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...tate-recruiting-state-secrets-carter-coughlin

Go Gophers!!

I'm starting to get a good feeling about Carter being golden. My gut says that the family ties, the prospect of seeing pt quicker, and being a part of a program on the edge of breaking through will push him over.

I'm starting to get a good feeling about Carter being golden. My gut says that the family ties, the prospect of seeing pt quicker, and being a part of a program on the edge of breaking through will push him over.

An optimistic Gopher Fan. Wow, the times are changing around here.....

An optimistic Gopher Fan. Wow, the times are changing around here.....

Yeah, I'm definitelty a square peg. From a recruiting standpoint, a top level in-state prospect who's a fit for this program should have little reason to look elsewhere.

Yeah, I'm definitelty a square peg. From a recruiting standpoint, a top level in-state prospect who's a fit for this program should have little reason to look elsewhere.

Im jeolous...wish I could get there. Too many like Coughlin have left the state to feel optimistic...even though he has more ties to the U than any of the major losses of the past 10 years and the Gophs are better than ever...still nothing but dread. Hope you are right!

It's like waiting for Christmas morning to come...want to see if Santa brings us the present we want!

I hesitate to post anything about it because it's purely speculative, but I guess that's what message boards are for. Certainly take it with it grain of salt, but I have heard via family connections that he is a STRONG Gopher lean. The word was he's going to be Golden, but until/unless it actually happens, all we can do it wait....and speculate. :cool:

I hesitate to post anything about it because it's purely speculative, but I guess that's what message boards are for. Certainly take it with it grain of salt, but I have heard via family connections that he is a STRONG Gopher lean. The word was he's going to be Golden, but until/unless it actually happens, all we can do it wait....and speculate. :cool:

This would be a coup and another brick. Reading a lot of what's been said, we're either being over-the-top patronized or he's golden. I think the entire family is genuine in their love for the Gophers, so this does not surprise me.

Oh gosh I'm pathetic. I've checked, I don't know...50 times this week. Still no word.

Come on, Carter! Gopher fans know who you are and we want you to commit! Be a Gopher!

Oh gosh I'm pathetic. I've checked, I don't know...50 times this week. Still no word.

Come on, Carter! Gopher fans know who you are and we want you to commit! Be a Gopher!
I feel better I thought I was the only one doing ongoing checks...Lets go Carter! We clearly want you!

Top Bottom