Henry Ellenson verbally commits to Marquette

Shocking! (not)

My favorite part: potentially the best player to ever come out of Wisconsin. I'm at work right now, so I don't have time to search, but maybe someone can come up with a quick list of prominent players from WI.

Shocking! (not)

My favorite part: potentially the best player to ever come out of Wisconsin. I'm at work right now, so I don't have time to search, but maybe someone can come up with a quick list of prominent players from WI.

No one to be found.

Joe Wolf (Kohler '83) was very highly rated (and a McDonald's All-American) when he came out, and is widely regarded as the best HS player in Wisconsin history. He went to UNC and played with Jordan for a year, but he never became anything more than a journeyman NBA player.

Shocking! (not)

Terry Porter, Latrell Sprewell, Nick Van Exel, Devin Harris

Who can forget the incomparable Vander Blue?!

Just glad we won't have to see his mug in the B1G.

That has to be a really tough pill to swallow for Wally. I know he gets a free education there, but I really think he fashioned himself as a legitimate high level D1 player. To sit on the bench as a token bargaining piece for his brother has to sting, despite the obvious perks.

I'd add Caron Butler to the "best WI basketball player" conversation also.

In my memory, Sam Okey was the highest ranked prep recruit to come from Wisconsin. A quick search indicates that there have been five McD's All-Americans from Sconny: Okey ('95), Wolf ('83), Calvin Rayford ('91), Brian Butch ('03), and Kevan Looney (last year).

I saw Sam Okey play as a HS freshman. You could tell he was going to be very good, but I can't say that I thought he was going to be an McDonald's All-American. On the other hand, he played for a small school, so did not face the strongest competition all the time.

As far as players from WI, if you ignore his off-the-court issues, you could argue that Sprewell may have accomplished more than any other HS player from WI. (even if he had trouble feeding his family........)

My favorite part: potentially the best player to ever come out of Wisconsin.

Nothing odd about that being in the article. Joe Wolf is a sore subject for MU bball. Was down to UNC and MU.

Obviously elated with HeNBA's choice. Would remind folks that MU was one of the first to offer Henry; his dad went to Marquette; before Wally joined, MU was absolutely in play and a serious consideration for Henry.

So, people will think what they want, but the Wally-angle is overplayed. He can ball.

Nothing odd about that being in the article. Joe Wolf is a sore subject for MU bball. Was down to UNC and MU.

Obviously elated with HeNBA's choice. Would remind folks that MU was one of the first to offer Henry; his dad went to Marquette; before Wally joined, MU was absolutely in play and a serious consideration for Henry.

So, people will think what they want, but the Wally-angle is overplayed. He can ball.

Wally can jump but he aint a baller by any measure. He is slow a foot, lacks lateral quickness, is a slow jumper and is a slow jump shooter. If he breaks into your starting line up you are screwed because it means you have the 3 better players in front of him are out.

Wally can jump but he aint a baller by any measure. He is slow a foot, lacks lateral quickness, is a slow jumper and is a slow jump shooter. If he breaks into your starting line up you are screwed because it means you have the 3 better players in front of him are out.

Sounds like you haven't seen him play much over the years, if at all.

I'm picturing Wojo in his legendary stance batting the floor with 2 hands as he watches Wally get blown by on Defense. When is Wally eligible and will he be a Junior? I'm assuming he can play in January and then has 1 season with Henry?

I'm picturing Wojo in his legendary stance batting the floor with 2 hands as he watches Wally get blown by on Defense. When is Wally eligible and will he be a Junior? I'm assuming he can play in January and then has 1 season with Henry?

Was at the U through spring. Sits the full year; two years to play beg next year.

Was at the U through spring. Sits the full year; two years to play beg next year.

I see thanks. Sounds like staying through the Spring was smart for him. He should find a role as a 4th/5th year college athlete, but personally doubt it'll be more than 7th/8th man at best.

Nothing odd about that being in the article. Joe Wolf is a sore subject for MU bball. Was down to UNC and MU. Obviously elated with HeNBA's choice. Would remind folks that MU was one of the first to offer Henry; his dad went to Marquette; before Wally joined, MU was absolutely in play and a serious consideration for Henry. So, people will think what they want, but the Wally-angle is overplayed. He can ball. YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMpXmkhuXks

Wally can definitely dunk. He's zero for two in coaches who have been able to teach him how to ball at this level. He reminds me a little of Charles Buggs in that it looks like there is something there, but nothing is close to established. Maybe the Marquette situation will be better and it will work out for him. I wish him the best.

Unless you are at practices, neither have you. He has been on the court for a total of 110 minutes in two seasons, most of it in garbage time. My impression is that he needs to put on weight. He's got the frame but, if I recall, did not want to add a lot of muscle/weight because of his high jump potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen him play plenty and there is one constant. Whoever he is guarding always scores. Wally just cant play defense. Probably a good kid but nothing more then a benchwarmer at the D1 level.

Unless you are at practices, neither have you. He has been on the court for a total of 110 minutes in two seasons, most of it in garbage time. My impression is that he needs to put on weight. He's got the frame but, if I recall, did not want to add a lot of muscle/weight because of his high jump potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems you believe basketball is not played before college. In fact, most guys have played in various settings for many years prior to college.

Crazy as it may sound to you, there are people who watch kids play a ton before they even reach college.

It seems you believe basketball is not played before college. In fact, most guys have played in various settings for many years prior to college.

Crazy as it may sound to you, there are people who watch kids play a ton before they even reach college.

And yesterday means nothing. If Wally becomes something I'll apologize, but what I have seen on the floor in college is that he isn't very good and if he didn't have a brother who is highly sought after he'd be backing up somebody on Tubby's team in Texas or paying for half his schooling while high jumping at Wisconsin.

Could he be Marquette's version of Kris Humphrey's? I'm starting to feel sorry for Marquette's coach...

I don't think anyone ever doubted he was a good high school player. He's shown nothing to suggest he'll be even an average D1 player. He's a horrendous defender and rarely makes the right play once he gets the ball. Obviously it's a small sample size, but there have been zero glimpses, and the fact that he couldn't even get on the court for either coach is telling. You're reminding me of Kahn by referencing the fact that he was a very good player at a lower level. He's shown nothing in college.

Wally's good at getting 3 point shot attempts blocked from behind into the top of his head.

Top Bottom