Q&A: Amir Coffey Adds Spartans Offer; Continues to Talk With Gophers Pitino & Johnson

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Amir Coffey Adds Spartans Offer; Continues to Talk With Gophers Pitino & Johnson

Q&A: Amir Coffey Adds Michigan State Offer; Continues to Talk With Gophers Pitino and Johnson
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/434818?referrer_id=388419

Amir Coffey, a junior wing from Hopkins, is considered the state's top prospect in the Class of 2016. Coffey helped lead the Royals to 30-2 record this past season as they finished runner-up in the Class AAAA Tournament, losing to Lakeville North in the title game.

Gopher Hole.com caught up with Coffey Saturday after playing with his Hopkins team to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your college recruitment right now? I think that Michigan State just offered you.

Amir Coffey: Michigan State just offered Thursday. Baylor has been coming up. Miami. Michigan. Xavier. Have been coming up to open gyms and been keeping in touch with everybody.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now? Are you still able to keep track?

Amir Coffey: I want to say 14.

Gopher Hole: That has to make you feel pretty proud?

Amir Coffey: Definitely. Like I said before, it is telling me that my hard work is paying off and just trying to have fun with the process and keep working hard.

Gopher Hole: I swear every time I see you, I could swear that you are bigger? What are you up to now?

Amir Coffey: I keep growing. I'm 6-6 1/2, the last time that I was measured.

Gopher Hole: How about weight-wise?

Amir Coffey: 185.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that you have been working on to get stronger?

Amir Coffey: Otherwise the basketball workouts, I have been eating more and weight training, trying to get stronger and add more to my game

Gopher Hole: Obviously, a little bit different Hopkins team this year. You lost some key players like Stephon Sharp, Jake Wright and Kamali Chambers. Are you trying to be a little more of a leader, both on and off the court?

Amir Coffey: We have a young team. John Warren is our only senior player right now. We have a lot of sophomore and juniors, so me and John Warren are actually going to be the leaders of this team. We are just trying to teach everybody what (head coach Ken) Novak wants and how to play.

Gopher Hole: Do you like being a little bit more of a leader?

Amir Coffey: I do. I think that I can take that role and I am ready for it.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you are playing more point guard and I have read that you want to try to play point guard in college. Is that something that you are looking forward to, being more of that point guard because last year, you had Chambers, who played mostly that spot?

Amir Coffey: Colleges are recruiting me as a combo guard, so that is the 1 and 2 and a little bit of a 3, but I am trying to bring the ball up a little more and get more involved with the ball and off-the ball screens.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that is a big advantage for you because a lot of point guards are six foot or 6-1 and you are 6-6, 6-7?

Amir Coffey: I think it does. I have been getting comparisons to other top point guards like Royce White or an old NBA point guard like Magic Johnson. Tall point guards bring the ball up and can play any position on the court

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to make that switch because the negative is that you are going to guarding a lot of quick guys?

Amir Coffey: Like you said, guarding quick guys, so I have got to work on my lateral quickness. Just keep on working on getting my body right, so I'll be ready for it.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to visit any schools lately or go to any football games?

Amir Coffey: No, yet. I was actually going to take a couple of visits to like some football games in October. I was going to go to Baylor on the 11th, but we ended up switching the date. Probably nothing soon, but we have been talking about it

Gopher Hole: I see that you are wearing the number 32 today. Is that for a reason?

Amir Coffey: No. I lost my old Hopkins jersey, so I just got that one.

Gopher Hole: So, you'll be back to #13. What is the reason you wear 13?

Amir Coffey: James Harden. Actually, he is my favorite player and it was an available jersey, so I just took it.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers? Anything up with them recently?

Amir Coffey: Just the usual. They want me to get up to campus. Keeping in touch with Pitino and Ben Johnson. Building a relationship and just get down to the campus whenever you can

Gopher Hole: Are you planning on going to a football game in the near future?

Amir Coffey: Definitely. In the near future. Whenever I can, I'll probably go to a couple of football games and have some fun.

Gopher Hole: You are a junior. Does it feel weird to be a junior?

Amir Coffey: It does. It still hasn't sunk in yet being in high school for four weeks and I am still getting used to it, so it is a little different, but I am getting used to it.

Gopher Hole: Can you start to see a light at the end of the tunnel towards college now that you are a junior and it is two years away compared to when it was three and four years away?

Amir Coffey: The recruiting process is kind of picking up, so it is still a long time, but you do see a light at the end.

Gopher Hole: Do you still like the recruiting process or is it tiring at times?

Amir Coffey: It has its ups and downs. Like every time I say, it takes a lot of time. You have to talk to all the coaches. Building a relationship and sometimes, you don't always want to do that, but you have to and it is a blessing just have it because I know that not all kids have this. It is a blessing, but sometimes I can just put my phone down and get rid of it all, but I love it.

Gopher Hole: Do you see a time where maybe in the future you would narrow the list down, so it is not so crazy?

Amir Coffey: I have been talking about it with my dad and we haven't really had a date to narrow it down, but we have been talking about it, so whatever happens, happens.

He sounds more open to a combo guard or wing role than his dad made it seem. I think Pitino's offense is going to look really, really attractive.

Hopefully he's more open to playing defense than his favorite player.

Still think people took his Dad's words too literally. He won't be playing point guard here, but I still like our chances of getting him.

Not going to lie, I would much rather see him in an Arizona uniform than Kentucky or Duke...

NOT ME!! That means I'll have to see him kill the Sun Devils over the next 4 years. :cry:

a) He probably won't be a 4 year player.

b) Despite what happened this season, Az will probably kill the Sun Devils over the next 4 years regardless.

a) He probably won't be a 4 year player.

b) Despite what happened this season, Az will probably kill the Sun Devils over the next 4 years regardless.

Ya but it would hurt even more if he's dropping like 25 &10 on them though..I'll think "man, what could have been if he would've gone to Minnesota" while he's demolishing the Sun Devils

Top Bottom