PiPress: Timberwolves' Gorgui Dieng happy to tutor Gophers big man Bakary Konate

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Dieng said he was on the U campus almost every day for a month this summer. He mentioned work with Gophers strength coach Shaun Brown.

"They help me a lot," Dieng said. "I think that is a good setup for me."

Dieng has reciprocated that help by giving guidance to Gophers freshman Bakary Konate, a 6-foot-11, 230-pound native of Mali.

Besides being lean big men with shot-blocking prowess, Dieng and Konate share an African heritage.

"As an African, I like to see African guys like me be successful," Dieng said.

"(Dieng) is a guy who I want to hang out with and get him over here talking with our guys because he's a really good influence," Pitino said. "He's a great kid. And he really wasn't that good of a player when he came to Louisville, and he became a very good player."

http://www.twincities.com/timberwol...lves-gorgui-dieng-happy-tutor-gophers-big-man

Go Gophers!!

I hope the T-Wolves continue to draft Louisville players.

This really is fantastic for Bakary and the Gophers program. I hope Bakary realizes how fortunate he is to have a NBA player as his mentor, especially one who similarly entered college as a raw young center, then shaped himself into a first round pick, made the all-rookie team, and has a very bright future.

I don't think it will work with just any Louisville player. Pitino was on staff there when Dieng was there. That's why this works.

It's obviously ideal if Richard coached the player, but even if he didn't, it would be a plus. The Pitino's are close enough that if a player really enjoyed playing for Rick, he'd probably enjoy being around Richard. I'm sure Richard knows all of Rick's players quite well and vice versa.

Does anyone who's not a dooshbag know if this could in any way approach being an NCAA violation? Obviously if Dieng and Konate are friends they can hang out and do whatever, but I'm wondering if the workouts happening on campus or Dieng working out with Shaun Brown is all good with the NCAA. Either way, I too am all for Konate having Dieng as a mentor, that is awesome!

Does anyone who's not a dooshbag know if this could in any way approach being an NCAA violation? Obviously if Dieng and Konate are friends they can hang out and do whatever, but I'm wondering if the workouts happening on campus or Dieng working out with Shaun Brown is all good with the NCAA. Either way, I too am all for Konate having Dieng as a mentor, that is awesome!

I would think Dieng working with Brown is okay, but Konate couldn't work out with the Wolves SC staff. Not sure on that though.

Larry Fitzgerald and NFL players have been working out on campus for years, alongside Gopher players and with full knowledge of Jerry Kill. Those haven't been violations, so there's no way this would be, IMHO.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/105320/gophers-learn-from-larry-fitzgerald-school

Awesome.

Kevin Love hung out at U of M games his first few years. Richard potentially has the skills to make connection with young NBA players regardless of his history with them. Hey - someone finally taking advantage of the fact that we have an NBA team here and making it a plus.

Always fun when somebody calls out all "dooshbags" but spells the word wrong. :eek:
Well I could have spelled it correctly as ******bag but you can see the problem there.

Well I could have spelled it correctly as ******bag but you can see the problem there.

Doesn't matter if you spell it right or wrong. YOU called a bunch of us douchbags, and pissed us off. You are a durtball.

"(Dieng) is a guy who I want to hang out with and get him over here talking with our guys because he's a really good influence," Pitino said. "He's a great kid. And he really wasn't that good of a player when he came to Louisville, and he became a very good player."

Dieng was a stud coming in. Really wanted him at MU.

I wasn't commenting on the spelling, I don't know the correct spelling of deush, the fact that you qualified the statement by eliminating the douchies out leaving you with maybe 2 or 3 people eligible to reply was what I was awesoming

I may or may not be a dewshbeg but I thought I would mention this kind of thing happens quite a bit with the hockey players. I believe Vanek has spent a lot of time around Mariucci in summers since he went to school here.

Who cares if he's African, Bakary for president! #2016 #bakaryknowsbest

NFL players hold a camp at TCF every season and lots of gopher players have participated. Not required and no one is paid to do anything. Perfectly fine.

Doesn't matter if you spell it right or wrong. YOU called a bunch of us douchbags, and pissed us off. You are a durtball.

Did you infer a mudslinger?

Love Dieng! He and Pek are probably the best combination of centers in the league.

That Burke trade is looking better and better everyday. Burke is a back up point guard and easily replaceable. Dieng has a special blend of talent and a unique combination of skills. Ski-U-Mah.

I wasn't commenting on the spelling, I don't know the correct spelling of deush, the fact that you qualified the statement by eliminating the douchies out leaving you with maybe 2 or 3 people eligible to reply was what I was awesoming

****** bag would be the correct grammar for anyone wishing to start their writing career. Could be a short career though. Though it amuses and disgusts me commenting on this group of posts. All kinds of images entertain and disgust me as I type this post. How ****** bag and basketball are ever used in the same sentence would be amusing. Maybe the basketball net is the connection?

We're really a good month away from the start of play, but gopherhole posters are already in midseason form! I'm glad to know I can follow this ****** issue here. Perhaps this is poll-worthy!

We're really a good month away from the start of play, but gopherhole posters are already in midseason form! I'm glad to know I can follow this ****** issue here. Perhaps this is poll-worthy!

It's time for a Bold and the GopherHole. Your minions have been patient enough!

Go Gophers!!

I love that the T-Wolves and Gophers are intermingling. Every college kid wants to play in the NBA and it can only help the program.

On the off-topic subject, I don't quite understand why you douchebags don't just spell out the word, instead of using all the asterisks?

It's time for a Bold and the GopherHole. Your minions have been patient enough!

Go Gophers!!
You know Bleed, this upcoming Father-Son game on the aircraft carrier seems like a page from the B&GH. The biggest event and media circus of the non-conference portion of the season, and we are in the thick of it. Richard's warning about his dad trying to coach both teams is funnier than anything I could make up!!

Love Dieng! He and Pek are probably the best combination of centers in the league.

That Burke trade is looking better and better everyday. Burke is a back up point guard and easily replaceable. Dieng has a special blend of talent and a unique combination of skills. Ski-U-Mah.

Puff, puff, pass... :cool02:

Top Bottom